Fix/replace ALH Turbo

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Okay, the term or acronym is not CHAR. It is CHRA ... Center Housing Rotating Assembly.

Sorry about the confusion.

But, as can be seen in the eBay links, CHAR is used ... maybe they've been making the same mistake. Hmm!
Ok, I was wondering hear it called the center rotating assembly, just wondered of I wad missing something lol.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Others have used the hammer method to separate them with success, but the thought made me nervous.

So I heated half the cast manifold surrounding the CHRA with a rosebud tip on the torch.

It came right out. I couldn’t get the manifold hot enough with the regular welding tip though

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I thought the "H" stood for "high-speed", but I guess "housing" makes sense too...
Well, I did several searches trying to find something and why I had been using the abbreviation CHAR.
I saw the correct abbreviation but being bull-headed, I never bothered to click and read.

Do a search on "Center Housing Rotating Assembly." There will be a good number of results.

Anyway, again, I apologize for all the confusion.

irishjetta

TDI
03 silver Jetta TDI, 280k miles; 14 Golf 1.6 TDI (sold)
Thanks guys. I’m away for the weekend but back at it in earnest Tues.

@AndyBees is there any particular reason you’re so opposed to using oven cleaner on some of the parts?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Thanks guys. I’m away for the weekend but back at it in earnest Tues.

@AndyBees is there any particular reason you’re so opposed to using oven cleaner on some of the parts?
You could probably use Oven Cleaner on the Manifold part or any of the parts. But, really, Dawn Liquid and a tooth brush will clean it just fine! You will need to do some scrubbing with the OC anyway. Nasty stuff.

I never been an proponent of Oven Cleaner, on or off the engine. Oven Cleaner and soot make a good lubricate, in my opinion. Lots of folks swear by it without taking the Turbo off.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Get a new OEM Garrett turbo, or if your budget is really tight you could also consider a low mileage used turbo as well.
The Original Poster's Turbo is low miles (101k). Go back to his initial post on page one. If he disassembles it properly, cleans the components and reassembles it properly, well, he'll have a good low mileage used Turbo. What it needs is no more than any random purported to be low mileage Turbo that he may be able to find, which no doubt would benefit from a good cleaning. I would not install a used Turbo without cleaning it. The Vanes are stuck due to soot/rust accumulation. After cleaning it, there's little doubt it will be good for another 100k miles or more.

The Turbo on my 2000 Jetta is OE and has almost 400k miles on it... never been cleaned and functions great. My son owns and drives it daily.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nevada_TDI, the Post that Frans lists the Turbos hasn't been Edited/Updated in over 8 years.
Curious if those prices are still current?
Curious if your interpretation is correct about wear parts and high speed balancing for a used VNT 15 is correct. Rebuilding would be replacing the wear parts, such as shaft, bearing and expansion seals. Those are the wear parts. Impeller blades do wear if they get into the housing.

irishjetta

TDI
So I took apart my new used turbo and the blades on the fan look like this. Not sure how the previous owner managed that. Is the turbo still salvageable?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where did I miss it? Did you buy a used Turbo opposed to removing the one on your engine? Did you buy it in person?

That Turbo Impeller is no good. It is now out of balance.

irishjetta

TDI
Where did I miss it? Did you buy a used Turbo opposed to removing the one on your engine? Did you buy it in person?

That Turbo Impeller is no good. It is now out of balance.
That’s what I was afraid of. Mentioned on here a while back that I found a used VNT17 for sale and snatched it up. Someone in PA totalled his car from a collision so he was parting out the car on FB marketplace. Said the turbo was almost new but he’s hoodwinked me by all accounts. I suppose I can at least use the actuator as the it seems to be no good on the original turbo.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well, it's definitely not completely scrap, but it needs a new impeller at the very least. You may be better off finding another one rather than having that one rebuilt/balanced if you want the car back together soon.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I'd probably take it apart and send the center rotating parts to g-pop for a new compressor wheel and balance.
Then put it back together.
Since it's a VNT-17.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Hard to tell in the picture for sure, but it looks like it hit the housing too. If you're sending it off send the front housing with it.

Lbmk5gt

TDI
Mk5 golf GT 2.0 TDI
I have a 2003 Jetta, 101k miles. The turbo stopped working a while ago. While doing the T-Belt replace, we disconnected the actuator and grabbed the vane shaft, is stuck solid.

I'd like to ask for some general input about my options;

Fixing/Cleaning my turbo --
I know it's possible, but it's also possible when I get things taken off that the turbo is rusted solid. I've even heard that if you're not an expert, you might even just break the parts trying to disassemble them.

Replacing my turbo --
I could get a Rebuilt stock turbo
I could get a used stock turbo
I could get a new stock turbo
I could get a Rebuilt VNT17 or similar upgrade (providing I can find one)
I could get a used VNT17 turbo
I could get a new VNT17 upgrade

I would also be interested to sell my parts to someone more skilled than I who's willing to attempt the rebuild.

Thoughts are welcome, as are any links, or offers to buy/sell parts.

EDIT: Some other useful threads about turbos
How can I separate the vnt-15 turbo from the turbo housing??? - goodkingharry
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=275918
I recently took apart my turbo to clean the vanes out, the way I removed my turbo from the housing was get two people, use two blunt chisels and mallets and hit the steel part of the turbo hitting the steel so the turbo removes from the housing.
Hope you can get sorted!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Nevada_TDI, the Post that Frans lists the Turbos hasn't been Edited/Updated in over 8 years.
Curious if those prices are still current?
Curious if your interpretation is correct about wear parts and high speed balancing for a used VNT 15 is correct. Rebuilding would be replacing the wear parts, such as shaft, bearing and expansion seals. Those are the wear parts. Impeller blades do wear if they get into the housing.
I realize his page has not been updated in 8 years, but I bought parts for the prices posted 4 years ago
If anything is worn an needs replacing he will do that for a Used turbo. A rebuilt has a New CHRA in an old manifold, but maybe I already said that.
It would be in your favor to contact Frans, by email, or call realizing we are 12 hours different.