Fix kits for broken New Beetle door handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all,

I've been around the block with VW's and in the last couple of years I've noticed that there are a bunch of New Beetles with broken or cracked door handles and door panels. Well, I looked into this recently and found that when the door handle cracks there hasn't been much you could do other than buy a new lower door panel for over $500! The handle is molded into the door panel. This $500 price also does not include the painted top part of the door panel so you have to detach your stock top panel and reattach it to your new door panel which is dang near impossible to do well. Also, salvage yards and ebay sellers want up to $300 or more for a set of "good" used panels but they are subject to the same cracking that your handle suffered. Here are pics of typical cracks:

So, what I have designed is a repair kit called the Beetlebrace. The Beetlebrace can be used as a repair or a preemptive fix for the weak New Beetle inside door handles. It bolts underneath the dimpled trim cover present on all New Beetle door handles:

It is a thin stainless steel exoskeleton that is under tension to keep the plastic door handle from flexing every time you pull the door closed. The aluminum standoffs put the tensile load right into the sheetmetal under the door handle which keeps the door panels and handles from cracking in the first place. If your handles are already cracked, the Beetlebraces make it super easy to repair the crack with the correct ABS compatible epoxy. (We sell that, too.):

The super sweet part to mention is that after the Beetlebrace has been installed and the dimpled cover has been modified, the stock dimpled trim cover snaps right back on the handle so you don't even see the Beetlebrace. It will be silently protecting your door handle or panel from cracking in the future (or further cracking):

The Beetlebrace joins the Love Handle and economical Like Handle full replacement door handles from Dieselgeek.com. The install is detailed by short YouTube videos on the product page. The Beetlebrace is less than $25 per door when bought in pairs. Every New Beetle on the planet needs Beetlebraces!

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Another home run by Jim!

Great product. I'll be spreading the word.

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
bump, Jim installed one of these in my Beetle's driver's side this past weekend at the Roswell GTG. Very practical product!

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Thanks Daisynme, I meant to install a Beetlebrace on the passenger side but didn't get to it. I think I put 25-30 of those kits on New Beetles last weekend!

BTW, a pic of Daisy's driver door panel is on the Beetlebrace product page (also the third pic above). Hope you don't mind!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I love this: Company makes something that breaks or wears out with the only fix being the replacement of an entire, expensive assembly. Someone that thinks beyond what their computer tells them, comes along and says, "I can fix that".

Customer is happy to be spending a small amount of money on an otherwise expensive repair and the guy with the idea makes a nice bit of cash.

Well done, Jim.

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
On the door panel I cracked off the part that the head of the screw holds on to, so I can screw everything in, but the panel is still not attached to anything. Will this solve that problem? I don't have issues with my handles racking or anything.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Kingcodez,

You have a slightly special case but I slept on it and have a fix for you. Give me a ring at dieselgeek and we'll go over my simple plan.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Thanks to all who have purchased Beetlebraces. Seems like there are indeed a bunch of broken New Beetle door handles and broken New Beetle door panels out there!

Bdwilliams01

TDI
2011 & 2014 TDI JETTA,
Simple Beetle door handle fix

My door handles were both broke when bought car. you need (2) 6mm x 60 mm with 1.0 pitch screw for each side from Loews can be used from the outside of handle and fix it cheap and easy. The only down side is the screw head is showing. To do this take the outer cover off, drill a hole in the outer plastic in the center of the of plastic cyclinder that snaps in to recess. With holes drilled , put outer cover back on, thread 6mm x 60 mm screw into the holes and your done. If you bought black screws it might look better than stainless.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Since this is a for sale thread I would kindly ask that you delete your post.^^^

Last edited:

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
I was one of the first ones to buy these he said right after I picked up my beetle. I got a good set of door panels off another car and put them in. I think they are great and will save those new panels from blowing out.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Just ordered the love handle right. Mine was too buggered up by previous repair attempt to salvage with the brace alone. Sure is cheaper than a whole new door panel. Finding a door panel that is in good shape and proper color is all but impossible.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Well, yeah, the breeze DID catch the door, but CMON!

Hope these are still for sale, lol, cause using the trash can is getting old! Going to order right now.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
:) Just ordered two and some abs, thanks! I had just gotten off the phone with the dealer parts guy, mouth was still hanging open when my search found you, lol.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Rickstah,

Generally, the Beetlebrace is not meant for a New Beetle handle that has broken off of the door panel though we've had several folks buy them to try that repair. Please let me know whether the Beetlebraces work for the side that has broken off completely. We sell the Love and Like handles to replace a handle that has been broken off completely.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Dang, you know I did see you mention those but got tunnel vision. The passenger side is not completely broken off yet. Do you think I should just order the Love kit for the driver side and not mess with the brace for it? Looks easier to just replace than to futz with the gluing...

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
It does not hurt to try the Beetlebrace. Just don't get any epoxy on the outside of the door panel, of course.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
And then one day...the wind kicked up again

:eek:

Oh well, epoxy is apparently no match for my massive arm and Oklahoma wind gusts, lol.

Love Handles ordered! :D

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I really love my Beetle, so I ponied up for a drivers love handle after my stock one broke off in my hand this winter at -30 degrees.

I smile every time I reach to open the door now.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope these are still for sale, lol, cause using the trash can is getting old! Going to order right now.
Well I finally installed these today and after watching your videos there were no surprises and everything is well. I was reminded how flimsy those door panels were built by the vinyl sagging and a window switch exploded when I removed it to replace the frame but neither had anything to do with your Love Handles :). Great fix and I fear no Oklahoma wind now, although flooding locally is making getting around in the bug a bit dicey, lol.

Highly recommend these items!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.