Fix for when push to start button acts up

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
When I was having issues with my push button start, I had searched around and could not find anyone else with this particular issue. I would go to start the car by pressing the button once to turn on the glow plugs, wait, then push until it starts. For the first press of the button, it would occasionally take a few presses before turning the car on. Then, when pressing the button to start, same thing, it would take a few presses before cranking over. I tried the obvious things...new remote battery, pressing harder on the button, and holding the remote near the button as the manual states to do. Nothing worked. So I decided the problem was located in the switch.
(NOTE: This is not the same problem others are having with push to start where it starts then immediately shuts off. That is related to the button as well but is a different symptom.)
Over the past few weeks, I've read of two more people with this issue. Here is what fixed it for me.
First, remove the button assembly from the steering column and disconnect the wire connections. It pops off somewhat easily using a plastic pry tool. You can squeeze the top and bottom and pull back a little to give you some access to place the pry tool. You'll have to work it around the assembly where the tabs are. There are 4 tabs located at the top, bottom, left, and right. You can see them in second picture. The button scratches easy so now would be a good time to cover the button face with tape. Also, there is a circular antenna that slides over the switch that you will encounter. You can unplug it along with the switch to remove. Be sure it goes back on.

*****Until I get more time to make a better video, here is a crude video of the button removal and disassembly. Hope it helps!
https://youtu.be/q3NfCumtEfI

Here is the assembly by itself.

Remove the button assembly from the plastic housing by pushing the 2 metal clips in and sliding the switch outward. At this point, the 2 metal clips must be slid off of the assembly to access 2 of 4 plastic tabs in order to disassemble.

This is what you will find inside.

Take the rubber piece off of the electrical part. These are the 2 parts you need to clean.

What I did was sprayed plastic-safe electrical parts cleaner (DeoxIT D5 is a great product) on a lint free rag and lightly wiped the gold contact points and the blue contact points. I'm not entirely sure the blue contact points even need to be cleaned; it is just the procedure that I used. WARNING: DO NOT spray the parts...use a lint free rag. (Edit: You could also use swmic's suggestion from post #4 and use a pencil eraser.) There looked to be some light build up on the gold parts before cleaning. Reassemble and that's it.
This problem started occurring with my car at about 36k or 37k miles. I cleaned the switch at about 40k and it is now at 42k with no occurrence of this issue since cleaning. I only had one issue within the first week of cleaning the switch. Twice, the car started and immediately shut off. It had not done that before, nor has it done it since. That is the other issue I mentioned earlier that people were having with push button start. This leads me to believe that issue is remedied by a switch replacement or maybe only a cleaning.
It seems like this might be an issue we see more of in the future. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Nice write up Mike. Where exactly did you pry on the assembly to get it to pop out?

For others who might try this procedure be SURE to use a contact cleaner that is safe for plastics. If you don't you will be very sorry.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Nice write up Mike. Where exactly did you pry on the assembly to get it to pop out?

For others who might try this procedure be SURE to use a contact cleaner that is safe for plastics. If you don't you will be very sorry.
Edited. Thanks for the suggestion about plastic safe cleaner.

swmic

TDI
12 Golf TDI Tech
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting this. My 12 Golf was exhibiting the same symptoms. Instead of using contact cleaner, I just used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Seems to have worked well after putting it back together. Time will tell.

Shawn

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
Can someone remind me WHY we need push button start cars? I just don't see the point. Especially if they act up like this.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I like the idea of keeping your key in your pocket and just hitting the start button.

Tastes great.

Less filling.

Now let's not trash the original thread, which was here to address a (rare) issue on a convenience feature. Whether you like the convenience or not is irrelevant.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the idea of keeping your key in your pocket and just hitting the start button.

Tastes great.

Less filling.

Now let's not trash the original thread, which was here to address a (rare) issue on a convenience feature. Whether you like the convenience or not is irrelevant.

I'm not trashing the thread at all. It's a great write up. Thumbs up.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting this. My 12 Golf was exhibiting the same symptoms. Instead of using contact cleaner, I just used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Seems to have worked well after putting it back together. Time will tell.

Shawn
That's great! Whatever works. Thanks for providing another cleaning solution.

samarai

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ tech pkg.
Stop/start button

I also own a 2012 Golf TDI w/ the tech package. After about 43,000 miles, my starter button went bad. It came to the point where I couldn't either turn the car on or off. At first I thought that it may have been the battery, but after bringing it to my TDI guru, he determined immediately that it was the button. I guess I really can't complain, the car is going on 3 years with this being the only issue aside from routine maintenance.

photuris

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Tech Pkg
Thanks for the post, this is the exact problem I had with my push start failing after 40K on my Golf TDI 2012, and after some troubleshooting I decided it was not the remote nor the FOB programming. Your solution was perfect, I've been looking for someone with the same problem. I just used a good quality eraser to lightly rub the contacts instead of contact cleaner to get rid of the black spots on the contacts, and I took care to make sure there was eraser residual left in the unit. After re-assembly, the push start button immediately behaved like it was on Day One. Thanks!

My friend with TDI 2015 tech package doesn't have this type of button anymore. I think they figured out this isn't the best quality.

Last edited:

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Got my Deoxit 5 over the weekend. Will tackle this very soon. I would like to see how much corrosion there is at the contacts after almost 4 years.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Here's what you want to use, it's the best contact cleaner out there.
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-C...ie=UTF8&qid=1437914498&sr=8-5&keywords=deoxit
So I am in the process of doing this procedure with the product that is linked above. One thing I can say, is that you do not want to spray these connections directly, which is what I did. I guess I read the write up too fast. The silicone/clear rubber piece swelled up a little and is not fitting back in properly. I hope that the swelling will go down so I can put it back in properly. Will let it dry overnight and place it it a plastic ziplock bag in the freezer to see if the swelling goes down.

FYI - A new switch part No. is 5K0 959 839 A, about $75

Update: I didn't wait. I put it all back together very carefully. The button is very responsive, almost touchy, now. She fired right up and shut down immediately upon pressing the button.
Before, I used to push and run my finger around the button to find a sweet spot to start it.

I'll do some more testing, but so far so good!

Last edited:

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
So I am in the process of doing this procedure with the product that is linked above. One thing I can say, is that you do not want to spray these connections directly, which is what I did. I guess I read the write up to fast. The silicone/clear rubber piece swelled up a little and is not fitting back in properly. I hope that the swelling will go down so I can put it back in properly. Will let it dry overnight and place it it a plastic ziplock bag in the freezer to see if the swelling goes down.
FYI - A new switch part No. is 5K0 959 839 A, about $75
Update: I didn't wait. I put it all back together very carefully. The button is very responsive, almost touchy, now. She fired right up and shut down immediately upon pressing the button.
Before, I used to push and run my finger around the button to find a sweet spot to start it.
I'll do some more testing, but so far so good!
I made an update to my post to bold the section talking about spraying a rag, not the parts.
Glad it is working better for you now!

HesNot

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI wagon
Help!

Boy I hope someone is keeping up with this...

I have removed the housing from the column - and opened up the two metal clips but for the life of me I cannot find plastic clips to remove the swith from the housing... I've looked and examined and poked around but cannot see how to release it from the housing...

Can anyone help with this step? I have deoxit etc... but cannot use it until I can get the doggone switch from the housing itself ... it seems solidly held in place by that plastic collar....

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Boy I hope someone is keeping up with this...
I have removed the housing from the column - and opened up the two metal clips but for the life of me I cannot find plastic clips to remove the swith from the housing... I've looked and examined and poked around but cannot see how to release it from the housing...
Can anyone help with this step? I have deoxit etc... but cannot use it until I can get the doggone switch from the housing itself ... it seems solidly held in place by that plastic collar....
I guess "tabs" might be a better word to use. I will modify the post. You must be careful not to lift the tabs up too far. If you look at the picture with the metal clip, that tab is directly under the hole of that metal clip. Remember, there are four plastic tabs that need to be gently pried up. Also, remember not to spray directly onto the switch. Use a lint free rag/towel, spray it on that, and wipe off the build up.

HesNot

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI wagon
Mike thanks for the clarification! For anyone else trying this - the button comes out the front when you squeeze the metal tabs... once removed the metal tabs slide off the back of the switch and the 4 plastic tabs are clear - the switch comes out the back and the rest is pretty evident from the pictures.

I got it apart, cleaned with the deoxit red tubes (had some around from flashlight repair/cleaning) both the blue and gold connections, then used deoxit "gold" connection preservative enhancer to protect from further corrosion. the blue parts showed some oxidation/crud of some sort - all cleaned up and it works like brand new again!

Really helpful thread - I have an extended warranty but it chaps my you know what to pay $100 in deductible to fix something this straightforward - knowing they would likely replace the entire switch assembly. And at this point I have confidence to replace the part as well if this happens again.

For the record - 2012 TDI sport wagon with 76K.

Best.

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
squeeze the metal tabs... once removed the metal tabs slide off the back of the switch and the 4 plastic tabs are clear - the switch comes out the back and the rest is pretty evident from the pictures.
Sorry. I misunderstood the problem you were having. I updated that part of the post also. Thanks for pointing it out to make the directions easier to follow in the future.

HesNot

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI wagon
Mike - I did a lousy job describing my issue partly because I wasn't sure where i was going wrong. Thanks so much for your efforts on this - it is a frustrating problem to have and such a great and easy fix!

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
I have a 2012 Passat and I m having similar issue.
Is your push button located on the column?

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
Yes, ours are on the column. I just saw your post on the Passat thread. I haven't had the chance to pull the push button on a Passat...I know they're in front of the shifter. If you're able to get the button out, I'm almost certain this cleaning procedure would take care of your issue.

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I just fixed my start button on my 2012 Golf Tdi, You definetely don't need to purchase contact cleaner. I just used a pencil eraser like others mentioned to clean the metal electrical contacts, as well as the blue rubber nubs that touch them. Contacts are shiney and new looking with eraser. The hardest part is popping open the switch housing. I used several micro flathead screw drivers to pop open the tabs at the same time. Also recommend getting plastic/nylon pry tools. I originally tried popping the steering column button bezel with a screw driver and tape to protect to no avail. The button bezel popped off super easily with nylon panel pry tools with the curved ends. All in all I'm super stoked my button is very sensitive again and doesn't require me hurting my fingers to start or stop my car (or spending $75-$99 on new part!)

Last edited:

pschwa

TDI
2014 JSW
Another big +1 on this write-up. Like another poster, I have the extended warranty, but between the deductible and the time to go to the dealer, it made sense to do it myself. It took all of 15 minutes, and I used an eraser first, followed by De-Oxit. I already had the De-Oxit on hand, and you should too if you do any home repairs of anything electrical or electronic. It resurrects all sorts of switches and potentiometers, and even Apple Lightning cables and things like that.

Anyway, the car is starting up just like when it was new. Thanks for the great write-up!