Fitting a VNT-17 to AFN

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
I've just recieved an VNT-17 bought from ebay.
I've got the outlet hose adapter.

My question is what other parts do I need to complete the job?
Will I need exhast gaskets, new bolts/nuts, pipes etc.?

The car is a 1998 Audi A4 with 110bhp AFN with seperate turbo and manifold.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi,
You'll need an A4 downpipe, small heatshield on exhaust manifold, re-route the air intake (ie. relocate the 2 mounts), move the oil feed hose to fit, and use an A4 oil drain hose and block fitting. Next remap ecu for more fuel, timing and boost -22psi .
Jeff

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
If you bought a separate turbo without manifold and you got the hose adapter you need nothing else. I usually use old gaskets, but you may get new oil return gasket to be safe.
New copper nuts for the turbo and exhaust might not be a bad idea, either.
Bigger injectors or some chip tuning would come to my mind sooner than later ;) .

(If you got the turbo with manifold it cannot be fitted with the longitudinal engine.)

awmw said:
I've just recieved an VNT-17 bought from ebay.
I've got the outlet hose adapter.

My question is what other parts do I need to complete the job?
Will I need exhast gaskets, new bolts/nuts, pipes etc.?

The car is a 1998 Audi A4 with 110bhp AFN with seperate turbo and manifold.

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
TDIfreak, thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the copper nuts

Can I ask you about the hose adapter?
In another thread you posted:-

TDIfreak said:
You only need to buy the boost hose for that turbo and remove the metal piece at the end of the boost hose to fit it the boost pipe that goes across the front to the cooler.
Today, I got a boost hose from a breakers.

When you say "remove the metal piece" are you talking about the metal piece that fits into the turbo outlet?
If so, can you tell me how to remove the metal piece as it doesn't look like it is designed to come apart.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought you had the hose adapter so you can use the AFN boost hose???

But if you now got the PD130 boost those then you remove the metal rings at the end of the hose by cutting the outer ring carefully with a metal saw and just pulling the rings off.
Then you can slip the hose on the metal pipe just like the AFN hose and use the original hose clamp.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Here is mine:

Its a vnt17vb from a PD150 adapted at some GTD exhaust Mainfold.

Here is how it came when I bought it...

If your vnt17 came with exhaust mainfold no way it will fit a A4 AFN with adaptation of the mainfold.

Cheers

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
You will need to modify your motor mount to clear the 1 piece vnt17 on the A3 AFN110.

modified mount

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
He has an A4... no way it will fit only with the engine mount change.
See the picks above for the lack of space the A4/passat have.

awmw

TDI
Audi A4 TDI 1998
My intension was to get the adapter from Kerma but with shipping and taxes it will be expensive so I thought I would see if I could get a boost hose first.

I went to a VW Audi breakers not really knowing what I was looking for.
I took the turbo with me and searched through their box of boost hoses.

I found one that did fit the turbo and was marked "Passat AVF" so I thought that it had a good chance of being the correct one and as it only cost a couple of pounds I'd take the risk.

The hose has two similar connectors but the one that fits the turbo is smaller than the connector at the other end.

You mentioned cutting metal rings off so I'm starting to think I may have the wrong hose.

Do I cut the large connector off the hose and then use this hose to replace the original hose or have I just got the wrong hose?

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
With that you have to adapt the other side...

I ended up to use a old vnt15 and cut the PD part.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
yes you just cut the metal of the large connector with a saw so you can slip the outer metal off of the hose. Then also the inner metal part comes right off. The inner and outer pieces are just pressed against each other and the hose is squeezed between them. Don't cut the hose at all!

jsrmonster, you are talking about a transverse engine and it's totally different ballgame.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Any update on this mate? I've got an AFN PAssat with VA turbo so interested to hear how you got on (and anyone else who's done it). What other mods did you do (injectors, remap etc)
Have also PM'd you,

Thanks

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
i'd still be interested to hear about what injectors, boost, map etc he was running - not many AFN owners with VA turbos to ask on these forums!

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi all

If i fit the VA turbo and then just run the car without a remap initially, what will happen please?

is this safe to do?

I assume the ecu will still know the mass of air going in with the larger turbo and so correct the fuel accordingly? will the turbo just boost to the psi my original turbo goes to? There's a solenoid controlling the vacuum actuator in this respect so the ECU has control - or is it fully passive?

When the boost pressure is increased with a remap, the solenoid is just set differently to alter the vacuum actuator so vane movement to give more boost? or is there a hardware change to the actuator itself?

Any help appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I too have been wondering if the program is necessary. I already have the vnt n75 vacuum solenoid. I haven't found anybody who has done the swap without converting the ECU so I'd decided that I will just ship my ECU to Jeff and have him reprogram it and swap in a MAP sensor that can handle more boost at the same time when I do the swap.