First timer ALH overhaul!

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
Hey guys I’m new to the group, right now I’ve got a 2004 Golf TDI with the BEW and it’s a bit problematic but still reliable, and I plan on buying an ALH golf (standard) to drop the engine and trans and do an overhaul on both and clean up any bad wiring, hose, or lines while I’m there. The car is going to be a daily driver and I want to add a bit more power to the car. Could go for one of the Malone or Kerma kits but just wanted to know if it’s worth it to buy parts individually for better economy and power, what’re your daily builds? How are stage 3 and 4 tunes? Any help is appreciated!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you have quite a bit of reading to do. literally tons of info here about what you want with plenty of videos and pictures.
other than your typical rebuild like seals and such, are you going internally? rods? pistons?
sounds like all you have a plan for is take it apart. then try and piece it back together? have you ever done a rebuild and blueprint on any neigne before? the ALH isn't like your typical duratec, SBC, or LS engines.
if your not going past a few grand in engine upgrades, stick with stock internals other than maybe rods.
90% of the cost of having a high HP TDI is the stuff around the engine to make that power go to the wheels around turns, not making the power.

what's your budget? why you want to build it vs buy it? purpose of the car, track? daily?

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
As I said the car is just going to be a daily driver but I want it to be operating as it’s a new car. 0km on the engine and trans and rebuild whatever suspension necessary while it’s pulled and the rest as I drive it and it wears. It’s just going to be a daily driver but I don’t want it stock because if I’m pulling the engine I might as well do some mods while I’m there. And I’ve rebuild Detroit 671’s, 871’s And many small 4cyl diesel compressor engines as I’m a diesel mechanic so I consider myself pretty confident in moving from big stuff to smaller.

All I wanted to know is what people have done for power and economy in their rebuilds to get an idea for what parts, tunes or whatever else to go for. All seals and bearings will be replaced top to bottom as well as a polished crank, aftermarket rods, pistons, cam, lifters, injectors and a bigger turbo and tune, and of course any head work necessary along the way as well as small parts inside the engine unlisted. Was thinking about an upgraded fuel and oil pumps while I’m there but wanted other opinions from people who’ve upgraded theirs.

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
As I said the car is just going to be a daily driver but I want it to be operating as it’s a new car. 0km on the engine and trans and rebuild whatever suspension necessary while it’s pulled and the rest as I drive it and it wears. It’s just going to be a daily driver but I don’t want it stock because if I’m pulling the engine I might as well do some mods while I’m there. And I’ve rebuild Detroit 671’s, 871’s And many small 4cyl diesel compressor engines as I’m a diesel mechanic so I consider myself pretty confident in moving from big stuff to smaller.

All I wanted to know is what people have done for power and economy in their rebuilds to get an idea for what parts, tunes or whatever else to go for. All seals and bearings will be replaced top to bottom as well as a polished crank, aftermarket rods, pistons, cam, lifters, injectors and a bigger turbo and tune, and of course any head work necessary along the way as well as small parts inside the engine unlisted. Was thinking about an upgraded fuel and oil pumps while I’m there but wanted other opinions from people who’ve upgraded theirs.
Forgot to add budget isn’t really anything in particular but I’m not going to be spending thousands and thousands on more performance than economy, And I’d rather build myself than buy

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
If I had that car I would check and see if a BHW would fit in there.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
90% of fuel economy boost is good nozzles and a proper tune and a light foot.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Talk to @Franko6 , he makes some pretty nice rods for the ALH, and is pretty knowledgeable on the tdi's in general. I got the parts for my recent rebuild from him, and i was satisfied.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The PD engine will tune up to a Stage 3 ( 18PSI ) with no hardware modifications, unlike the ALH motor that needs nozzles just to run a Stage 3 tune. From stock, a Stage 3 tune is incredibly fun and great FE too.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
My recipe for a high power PD engine would be light car (fabia,polo,lupo, up or similar), 6 speed cupra conversion, Sachs SRE clutch, pd150 injectors, good flowing exhaust system (3'' if posible), gtb2260vk turbo and a decent size FMIC. Add a tune to this and a 4 Bar map sensor and you'll scare yourself every day as the torquesteer will pull the steering wheel from your hands every time you floor-it ! Add the largest, grippier tires you can fit without fouling the arches and largest brakes that will fit under the wheels ! It will be fun to drive and economical too ! I have a mk2 golf with all the above mods and its a hooligan ! It spins tires in all 6 gears even on sticky toyo proxes r888 rubbers...Hard car to drive as a daily with all that power !

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thank you Mozambiquer. After a recent comparison, we find that 4340 material we use for our rods is not the field's standard, but our unique exception. The accuracy of our rod product is phenomenal and we have always known accuracy makes the difference.

The first thing I can say about the BEW is that harness is not that easily adaptable to the ALH and would cost you money, time and trouble.

Adamss24, I'd have to see proof of the 3" pipe's necessity. If the turbo has a oversized adapter plate and the exhaust hole in the turbo were to be radically opened, even then, the 3" pipe is so much larger than the hole size allowed at the turbo's exhaust port, I see little reason for it. The exhaust restriction is in the turbo. Modifying the turbo to produce any appreciable size increase is a questionable move. Even then, that damn pipe is a tough thing to fit.

Here is my sense about the BEW. I think that engine could likely be the Mileage King in it's stock form. Or at 300hp, it will have a drastically shortened life, with much expense to get it to it's early grave.

I understand the need for speed. For me, it's a serious consideration of platform. The comparison to create a high performance PD over an ALH, the PD is more expensive. There are many considerations, but it stands to reason for me, as example, if you want a vehicle with a manual transmission, start with a vehicle that already has that transmission. The conversion will cost you many dollars. If you want an ALH engine, it also stands to reason (although I might be otherwise convinced), start with an ALH platform.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
300D,

So, how can I help? I can say the 357's are great for high economy, power, not so much. The Firad's we sell, But not the Bosio. Got screwed by Bosio too many times with bad quality control... I just had enough. RC3, we often carry on the shelf in various tunes from Jeff.

Want a reality check? 11mm pumps are overrated. Especially if all you are using are 520's. You'll have to raise the IQ to a taller number to reduce overfueling. Also, every 11mm pump has a fuel cooler. Look under any automatic car with a 11mm; you'll see it under the passenger seat. Hot fuel expands. Sometimes, the additional stroke pressure is lost. Fuel heat at 90c is normal. When it it's 160c, you've lost substantial fuel volume. 2.5" exhaust, we wouldn't argue. We have some deals with those, Garret Turbos from Europe, bushing kits, yup.. But the stiffer suspension? Depends. Are you looking for ride height? Wrong way to do it. Your ride will be bouncy, stiff and uncomfortable. The front, we use a 20 or 40mm spacer under the isolation bushing on top of the McPherson strut. Also, they have a bad habit of crushing down and sometimes, just replacing the rubber bushing gets you subtantial ride height improvement. I've got an XL hand... when I can't fit my hand between the stock tire and the fender, that's a crushed rubber mount. We also do the shocks, normally, but life for OEM's is exceptional. The hype on shocks; same the world over. If you aren't running rally races, save your money.

The clutch, that is a whole thesis in itself. To start, we balance every single flywheel and surface the pressure plate surface, 12 at-a-time and ship directly from us. Average misbalance is 2.4gr. Pressure plate surface is often done incorrectly or off plane. A properly cut flywheel, done on flywheel cutting equipment is a thing of beauty. And the clearance between the ring gear and the pressure plate surface is correct. Some 'cheat' and make it short, to increase holding power, but don't leave enough room for the pressure plate to clear. Stupid mistakes we correct.

We always drop ship the pressure plates and discs. Why double up on shipping? They do a good job from our warehouses. Depending on your expected hp, which doesn't seem to be all that much, if you are going to be below 165hp, we would recommend alternatives to SBC that are not only adequate, but in some ways better... price being one of them. But don't get me wrong. Jon and DJ at SBC know me and we ship from there often. Depends on the need.

We are just a Ma and Pa shop, but we keep extra busy and I think we know what we are doing. Much of what you are buying is not overkill, except the downpipe is not necessary until you hit higher hp. We generally cut a hole in the CAT and knock out the ceramics. That is the single biggest backpressure issue at lesser hp ratings.

Sometimes, these PM's are covering issues that a phone call would do quicker. Feel free to do so.

Frank
417-232-4634

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Frank,
You are The Man. I cannot think of any other vendors that sell with such honesty and explanation of why to buy or not buy certain parts or services.

The nozzles that Frank just set up for me are unbelievable. I had the same size nozzles setup by someone else, and I believed that is how .216 nozzles were supposed to be.

Wrong! I have not checked the FE, but the power difference is huge. I mean this as a complement: Frank does not do "hot swap" , so I suggest you send in your "bench set" of injectors, to eliminate the possibility of a long wait, or down time with your car.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest or any other reason to comment on Frank's work either good or bad.