first time towing with 2012 Touareg TDI

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
Gang

I have a 2012 Touareg TDI Sport with around 72k miles- runs like a champ. I'm considering using her to tow my classic El Camino on a trailer to a car show for around 1500 miles each way. It came with the tow hitch and wiring already installed.

I am asking the group for suggestions on preparatory maintenance/servicing and any tips for long hauling from those who may have done this before. She is always up to date with factory service schedule and I just installed new brakes and rotors all around, and the tires are new (less than 2000 miles).

Thanks

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
If your transmission is serviced, sounds like you are ready to go service wise. I assume an El Camino (hopefully 327,350 or 396) weighs about 3500 lbs and 2000 lbs for the trailer. My 2014 is rated to pull 7700 lbs. I pull a 17 foot Boston Whaler that weighs about 2500 lbs and it just plays with it. I get away with no trailer brakes but this much weight will cause a braking issue I believe.

Willman67

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
there is no scheduled service for the transmission! I asked and was informed that you don't even need to change the fluid and filter on transmission........not sure I believe it however

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
That's what my dealership told me for 3 years then they changed their mind.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
You are going to want to have a set of brakes on the rig. It's especially needed for hill descents and highway stopping power. Forget what the dealer says,he won't pay for a tranny issue if it happens on the trip. They will Shrug and walk away. lol

mainezman

TDI
TOUAREG Gen 1
My 2011 LUX does not have a tow set-up SOooo what should I doto install a tow rig. Go to dealer -or an RV guy ?

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My 2011 LUX does not have a tow set-up SOooo what should I doto install a tow rig. Go to dealer -or an RV guy ?
Do you mean it doesn't have a receiver hitch or does but not trailer brakes? U Haul dealers sometime install hitches.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I would say go to a dealer,they know the car structure and can put in a proper hitch the you can have confidence in. It's a pretty important item to have set up properly. After market hitches usually have a lower tow weight restriction.

VW_Driver

TDI
there is no scheduled service for the transmission! I asked and was informed that you don't even need to change the fluid and filter on transmission........not sure I believe it however
Check the owners manual. In my case, I ask two dealers and got two different answers. Lifetime vs 100K. I decided to read the manual and neither dealer was correct. Its 60K (GTI).

VW_Driver

TDI
I think VW discontinued. Two part to the VW system for the Touareg. The Hitch and Computer Module. The module interface with the engine, transmission, ABS, and brakes. Yep, german engineering. :)