First time replacing transmission 2011 TDI CJAA Any advice greatly appreciated

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
Like the title says, I'll be replacing the transmission on my TDI. I am looking for any and all pointers please. I'm a little nervous, but I feel with the right direction I can absolutely do this. I replaced the timing belt and intake manifold which were the more involved repairs. The rest of what I've done was just regular maintenance, wheel bearings, washer fluid bottle.. that sort of thing. I really like working on my vehicle, so I just want to do my research and get this done right. I have the official shop manual, but sometimes the language and jargon can be a bit hard for me to parse. It will certainly be used as supplemental, but sometimes it is hard for me to locate the work I need to do when I don't have the necessary vocabulary to search within the digital document.

I'm looking for:

-Any guides on the procedure. Checklists are great. Torque specs even better
-Any recommended "kits"
-Any recommended websites where I will be able to purchase the transmission
-Advice on selecting the transmission to replace mine
-Recommended tools that would just make my life easier
-General advice, warnings, etc

Believe me, I'm scouring the internet and finding anything that might be useful. This is simply another tactic to gather as much info as I can. Don't hesitate to say something you think I may have read elsewhere, any little piece helps and you may have something I haven't read before.

I do know that it's a freaking pain to drop... There's like no clearance and I've seen someone actually swing the engine out of the way just so they could rotate, pivot, and drop the transmission.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. I really appreciate any pointers and the people who take time to thoughtfully reply. Be well

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Drop subframe, and drop transmission that why. Just take your time and store your bolts/nuts properly so you know where everything goes. Which transmission do you have and why are you replacing it? DSG is alot heavier and would recommend two people. Manual is a little lighter. There is a decent amount of info on here and on youtube to watch so you have an idea of what to do!

As for kits, are you replacing the Flywheel and clutch while youre in there? Do you want to upgrade or go stock?

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
I have a DSG (Not sure if that also means DMF+DSG... Sorry, I'm just not entirely sure if that's a package deal or if a standalone DSG even exists).

I mean, do you think it would make sense to do the flywheel and clutch at the same time? The goal is to keep the vehicle on the road as long as possible until we can switch into a better winter-handling option for my wife (we live in the hills in the country, so a bit of snow means she's pretty much not going anywhere with this car. Almost impossible to drive up the driveway in those conditions).

That being said, I would want to pass along the vehicle in as good of condition as I can afford to do so. Techie at the dealership told me the transmission is going, so I'm thinking I should just try and come out ahead on this one rather than scrambling to get it done when it inevitably fails. Not sure if I should upgrade or not 🤔 guess I have even more research to do on that front.. lol. Never even considered it until now.

This is the link to the transmission being removed from what I think is my engine

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The tech at the dealership said your transmission is going? What are the symptoms youre having? Are you sure its just not your DMF making noise, which would be normal on TDIs and just require DMF replacement. Are there noises or faults stored? Im curious to know why he said you need to replace the transmission.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
OP, I would absolutely NOT do a major repair like transmission replacement solely on a dealership recommendation. I would seek out a local guru or recommended shop or at least post full symptoms and any steps taken to verify the issue. Your location of "usa" does not exactly help anyone who may be willing to help or point you towards someone who can.

There are some replaceable parts in the DSG transmissions. As already stated the DMF is one. If you search for DSG issues you will see oilhammer refer to m-unit & /or solenoid packs as well, but again, this is all dependent on your exact symptoms.

Last edited:

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
The main symptoms are

1. When I'm decelerating and going downhill, the vehicle will have trouble shifting the rpms will sometimes pop up beyond 3k. Then, it kicks into limp mode, gear/wrench dash light flashes, and I have to stop the car and restart it to reset everything. I usually just click it into neutral whenever I go downhill to avoid it altogether. It's done this ever since we got it from a Chevy dealership. We took it in to Volkswagen and they told us the DPF needed to be changed.. I think it helped a bit? Like 20k miles later, we replaced the intake manifold at 187,146 miles. That seemed to help for a bit, but now we're back to the start.

2. When accelerating, the car really lags when upshifting. It'll hover around 2k RPMs before begrudgingly sliding into the next gear. Furthermore, when I take it up to 65mph, it just sits there at 2k RPM.. doesn't seem normal for a diesel. I've changed the glow plugs. I replaced the DSG Filter/fluid at ~180k

3. It feels like a hard start. Idk if I'm just psyching myself our, but it feels hard as soon as it kicks on, then tapers down to a more even idle.

4. I've gotten two codes that might be relevant.. Engine P2015 intake manifold runner position sensor/ switch circuit (which the techie says he could not reproduce) and Transmission P2711 Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement.

This may also be relevant, considering the apparent lack of attention that was actually given to my vehicle when I took it in.. What I find most disappointing about this whole thing, is that I wrote a really comprehensive report for the techie to lookover and fill out with all my issues, made my appointment ahead of time, gave them the report ahead of time, waited around in the city all day thinking they were looking over my vehicle, then when my schedule wouldn't allow me to stay in town any longer I go to pick up my vehicle and it was obvious they hadn't spent any time on it and were just then looking under the hood and running diagnostics. They appeared either embarrassed or caught off guard when I showed up to pick it up, and they didn't charge me anything for the "diagnosis." I think they saw all the front-end work I'd done to make the diagnosing process easier, and felt like they weren't really giving me much of anything so they didn't charge.

The tech at the dealership said your transmission is going? What are the symptoms youre having? Are you sure its just not your DMF making noise, which would be normal on TDIs and just require DMF replacement. Are there noises or faults stored? Im curious to know why he said you need to replace the transmission.

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
OP, I would absolutely NOT do a major repair like transmission replacement solely on a dealership recommendation. I would seek out a local guru or recommended shop or at least post full symptoms and any steps taken to verify the issue. Your location of "usa" does not exactly help anyone who may be willing to help or point you towards someone who can.

There are some replaceable parts in the DSG transmissions. As already stated the DMF is one. If you search for DSG issues you will see oilhammer refer to m-unit & /or solenoid packs as well, but again, this is all dependent on your exact symptoms.

Haha I just noticed the location.. I am looking over my profile and don't see anywhere where I can change the settings to make it more precise. I may just be missing it.

As for the symptoms, I just replied to MrCypherr with all of that if you'd care to read. I live in a pretty remote area, and good laborers/ mechanics in general are in short supply. I'll start doing some digging and see who may be able to spend a half day or so really troubleshooting my car. The thing is, there's like one VW guy and he's usually buried under like 20 vehicles!

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
FWIW you do not have to drop the subframe, it's tight but it does clear

Put car in "Service position" - Remove airbox, remove battery + tray - unbolt passenger axle + remove driver axle - unbolt bellhousing and unplug transmission harness (final bolt is hidden under the starter motor)

get an engine hoist or transmission jack -- this is optional, but highly recommended -- unbolt shift linkage and drop transmission. DSG is heavy so don't think you're going to just man-handle it out of there unless you're a beast

Watch a lot of youtube videos to get a good idea, but it's not super difficult. If you are in there, go ahead and replace the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) so you don't have to do the job twice. Do a fluid/filter change as well and you're good for 40k miles until the next fluid change.

Oh, and you will need a bearing puller slide hammer to remove the center bearing for the DMF - it's easy as pie if you have the tool and a nightmare if you don't.

I did mine recently: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/knock-on-cold-start-up-dsg-dmf.530484/#post-5821044

Last edited:

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
FWIW you do not have to drop the subframe, it's tight but it does clear

Put car in "Service position" - Remove airbox, remove battery + tray - unbolt passenger axle + remove driver axle - unbolt bellhousing and unplug transmission harness (final bolt is hidden under the starter motor)

get an engine hoist or transmission jack -- this is optional, but highly recommended -- unbolt shift linkage and drop transmission. DSG is heavy so don't think you're going to just man-handle it out of there unless you're a beast

Watch a lot of youtube videos to get a good idea, but it's not super difficult. If you are in there, go ahead and replace the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) so you don't have to do the job twice. Do a fluid/filter change as well and you're good for 40k miles until the next fluid change.

Oh, and you will need a bearing puller slide hammer to remove the center bearing for the DMF - it's easy as pie if you have the tool and a nightmare if you don't.

I did mine recently: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/knock-on-cold-start-up-dsg-dmf.530484/#post-5821044
Right on man, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'll check your thread out.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
kinda sounds like the mechatronics unit is going bad. do you have VCDS?

you can take some measurements with that software to give an overall idea of mechatronics unit health.

doing some quickly googling on error:
P2711

brings this:

this points to your clutchs going out.

i think you should still get genuine ross-tech VCDS, post an autoscan of the car, then go into the transmission module and hit measuring blocks. then take a photo of these 6 measuring blocks

015 016 065
030 031 032

Furthermore, when I take it up to 65mph, it just sits there at 2k RPM.. doesn't seem normal for a diesel
2k RPM at 65mph is quite normal. my DSG sits there too. what are you experiencing at this RPM which doesnt feel normal? a cyclic clunking? a noise?

When I'm decelerating and going downhill, the vehicle will have trouble shifting the rpms will sometimes pop up beyond 3k. Then, it kicks into limp mode, gear/wrench dash light flashes
this downshift to raise RPM is normal DSG operation. going into limp mode right after is obviously not, so im thinking theres an issue with the mechatronics unit or the clutch.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Would agree w/ mechatronic as stated above - you will need to recode the replacement should you attempt to go that route, which will require VCDS (just fyi)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG