First time diesel owner 2011 jetta tdi questions

grewpa13

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hello I just bought a jetta 2011 tdi for 9000 plus tax canadian with 110k on it.

I have a question about the green shaped icon on the right cluster it used to be on all the time on my tdi but then after one snow storm and tough drive now I notice it's only on when I'm in park and no longer on when I'm in drive ? Is this normal

Can I add a backup camera to this deck? I have an sd card reader bluetooth and aux with a screen and satellite radio.

Can I add my amp and two subs does this deck have subwoofer outs?

Also loving diesel definitely fun to drive but I've yet to know my true km got about 410 for half a tank but now my wife drives it and works on her parking for two hours and it takes a tick lol

Thanks in advance

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Green is a color, not a shape. The manual has all the indicator lamp information, but from your vague description it sounds like the indicator to tell you to put your foot on the brake to move the transmission from Park.

I cannot comment on the radio stuff, sorry.

There is no "need" to vent the tank.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Hello I just bought a jetta 2011 tdi for 9000 plus tax canadian with 110k on it.
I have a question about the green shaped icon on the right cluster it used to be on all the time on my tdi but then after one snow storm and tough drive now I notice it's only on when I'm in park and no longer on when I'm in drive ? Is this normal
Can I add a backup camera to this deck? I have an sd card reader bluetooth and aux with a screen and satellite radio.
Can I add my amp and two subs does this deck have subwoofer outs?
Also loving diesel definitely fun to drive but I've yet to know my true km got about 410 for half a tank but now my wife drives it and works on her parking for two hours and it takes a tick lol
Thanks in advance
Sedan or wagon?

What green icon? Need a better description or better yet post a pic.

RCD 510? Premium 8? RNS 315? RCD 300? Generally unless it came with a backup camera you can't easily add a camera. The Premium 8/RCD510 has different versions with or w/o the plug for camera, and this I suspect is the radio you have. Probably have to switch it with the version with a plug so you can add the camera.

Also no factory VW radio, to the best of my knowledge, has ever had subwoofer outs. There is a OEM subwoofer and accessory subwoofer, but both are pricey and specific in the way they connect to the radio.

Venting the tank was a MkIV thing, not really possible on all later models.

Jason

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
I have a 2014 GSW Highline and I replaced my factory radio with an RCD 330G radio from China. This radio is a late model VW stock ario that fits exactly into the existing mounting. Benefits are that I now have CarPlay, but it is also possible to add a backup camera (some assembly required).

grewpa13

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have a 2014 GSW Highline and I replaced my factory radio with an RCD 330G radio from China. This radio is a late model VW stock ario that fits exactly into the existing mounting. Benefits are that I now have CarPlay, but it is also possible to add a backup camera (some assembly required).
How much was this deck and will it fit a jetta also does it have subwoofer outs ?

I bought a sedan jetta tdi

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Anything after market needs some good wiring knowledge to get everything working. VW uses CAN Buss to control back lighting, turn the radio on and off, speed signal, reverse signal, security features of the radio, steering wheel controls.

A good CAN buss box can be over $100 USD.

Sometimes a grey market radio like @Zabel51 used is easier to get working. Or even a used radio on ebay, etc. that has the features you want. Or there are options on sites like Aliexpress that look stock but have all the extras you want.

Jason