First Test Drive Article - the 2012 VW Passat TDI

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
One big missing comment on the Toronto traffic is that roughly half the year, you get to battle snow and ice. I've been on the 401 for a 100 km trip for almost three hours. Just trying to get from the airport to Cambridge.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My wife won't drive anything but a manual tranny! So I guess our Passat purchase will be a cinch. :)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
It says the Passat's tank of 4.9 US gal of Urea will last 15,500 miles so the first two or three fills will be free. I think as CAFE increases over the next few years Urea for diesels will become more available. Many auto makers will be forced to add diesel options to their line ups to the coming CAFE target. And that is good for us all.............

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Hey dingo EJS...read a little before jumping on comments.....ya we got TRAFFIC..duh
Reading comprehension a bit weak? Or did you just miss this -

LMAO, define "traffic"..................
Yeah, I may have put them in the wrong order - #1 is NY, #2 is DC. The statistics are BS anyway, they never include distance vs time which makes for the real joy.

One big missing comment on the Toronto traffic is that roughly half the year, you get to battle snow and ice. I've been on the 401 for a 100 km trip for almost three hours. Just trying to get from the airport to Cambridge.
Well which is worse - 1/2 the year or more rarely & everything really goes to sh*t? :D We had a dusting last year, govt closed early..............dumped everyone on the road around 1pm..........at 10pm folks were abandoning their cars, they were out of fuel...............5 or 6 miles from where they started :eek:

We can all agree, traffic sucks.

to each his own................... cmon admit it....sex sells.
Not in the US, #1 selling car is the Toyota Camry - a rolling couch. So unimaginative in design they went was fas as to copy the ugly *ss from BMW.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Can the DSG shift faster and return similar fuel economy as a true manual transmission? Yes. How does the DSG fair when compared to a true manual in the "Fun" department? Complete and utter failure.

Have you ever tried your tiptronic or in this case with the paddles? You can pretty much do the same thing as a manual MINUS the leg pain and arm stretching. :)

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Have you ever tried your tiptronic or in this case with the paddles? You can pretty much do the same thing as a manual MINUS the leg pain and arm stretching. :)
I agree that manu-matics/tiptronics have come a long way, but it's just not the same as a 3 pedal setup where I feel more connected. No pain and no stretching too!

At the same time, we're not talking about driving high-peformance/high-horsepower vehicles on a twistie mountain roads or around your favourite track. For that reason, I don't care as much.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference. I prefer my coffee with cream, no sugar. How about you? :D

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I agree that manu-matics/tiptronics have come a long way, but it's just not the same as a 3 pedal setup where I feel more connected. No pain and no stretching too!

At the same time, we're not talking about driving high-peformance/high-horsepower vehicles on a twistie mountain roads or around your favourite track. For that reason, I don't care as much.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference. I prefer my coffee with cream, no sugar. How about you? :D

As I have grown older, I prefer my coffee black, no sugar. If you spill black coffee, water, judiciously used, from a sink on the stain will usually wash out the stain (use hand dryer to dry out the shirt). It's like it never even happened. If you use creamer/milk the water trick won't work and you'll wear the stain all day. The sugar seems to be needless calories (afterall, I don't drink it for the glorious taste --- sorry too our fourbucks friends :D).

I prefer manual transmissions. Always have. So that is what I drive. It is all around superior to auto-tragics. Points that have been covered elsewhere (cheaper on initial purchase, cheaper to maintain, more control in inclement weather, more options on passing etc etc). If I wanted an appliance, I would have bought a Toyota.

My wife (and from what I can tell, other women) seem to hate manual trannies (plenty of reasons why I think so) : (1) you can't yack on the phone, drink, eat, screw with the radio controls, hold a steering wheel and shift at the same time :) you are looking into the mirror; (2) you can't gas break --- women particularly seem more prone to driving full throttle and then slam on the brakes :confused:. You can't readily do that with a manual tranny (a good sign of a female owned car is a broken o'sh*t handle and scratch marks on the passenger side dash from where the male passenger held on for dear life)). I laugh when I see people who advertise cars as "female owned". Yeah, that one has been beat to sh*t.

I used to live in crowded populated area. I chose to live elsewhere. I like driving on roadways without a gazillion other driver's. My middle finger used to hurt. But that is just me :)......

Last edited:

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
I can only assume you're joking; nothing even comes close to the control or the involvement offered by a true manual transmission with three pedals under the dash. :D

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
I heard from dealer technicians training on the new Passat TDI uses an Air-to-Water Intercooler, possibly to address Iced Intercooler issues, but this is an old design since everything else uses Air-to-Air?

Is that a good thing? No idea what's the advantage of Air-to-Air vs. Air-to-Water.:eek:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Let's not forget that a stick shift is the original anti-theft devise, both because self-shifters are less easy to sell, and lots of people, including thieves, don't know how to use them! :eek::D:eek::D

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI

Don't drink coffee. :) I agree it is what you like.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I can only assume you're joking; nothing even comes close to the control or the involvement offered by a true manual transmission with three pedals under the dash. :D
Not one bit. With most day to day driving there is no way to really take advantage of the manual or enjoy the fun of it. With all the demands of today's life it is simpler to let the transmission do the work. 20 years ago I would have believed differently.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
I heard from dealer technicians training on the new Passat TDI uses an Air-to-Water Intercooler, possibly to address Iced Intercooler issues, but this is an old design since everything else uses Air-to-Air?
Seems odd and expensive. Sure it was the intercooler, not cooling the exhaust for the EGR?

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Stick/Manual is the only way to go as an interested driver.

As for cost, its cheaper to buy, and service. Have you seen the cost of dsg services? Insane

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
Not one bit. With most day to day driving there is no way to really take advantage of the manual or enjoy the fun of it. With all the demands of today's life it is simpler to let the transmission do the work. 20 years ago I would have believed differently.
Hmmm, well I beg to differ. My career has moved me around a lot, and since 1977 I've lived near and commuted into San Diego, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, New York, Stuttgart, and now Boston. During that entire time I've only had a car with an automatic transmission once (between 2005 and 2008; you know, the whole family minivan thing), and in spite of the million and a half heavy traffic miles my wife (who I married in 1994) and I have driven over that time, we both cannot understand why anybody would even consider an autotragic transmission.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless

Is that a good thing? No idea what's the advantage of Air-to-Air vs. Air-to-Water.:eek:
The idea is simple - the air goes from the turbo directly to the intake making the trip as short as possible. Also the cooler is directly before the intake so less time to heat air back up before it gets into the engine. So lower temperature intake air for better power and economy. And less volume of air in the plumbing and charge air cooler for better response time and pressure drop.

Now the added benefit is that you can have a separate cooling circuit for the charge air cooler - the performance guys out there are already thinking here. The radiator for the charge air cooling is in the same place the air - air charge cooler was on the older cars (MKV and GTI)

Jasonh

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Hmmm, well I beg to differ. My career has moved me around a lot, and since 1977 I've lived near and commuted into San Diego, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, New York, Stuttgart, and now Boston. During that entire time I've only had a car with an automatic transmission once (between 2005 and 2008; you know, the whole family minivan thing), and in spite of the million and a half heavy traffic miles my wife (who I married in 1994) and I have driven over that time, we both cannot understand why anybody would even consider an autotragic transmission.
We have both...they both have value....I like my autotragic (love that one) in my silverado and S60..seems to fit the truck and the boring gas volvo. but VWs? no dsg fah me. traffic is traffic...I was once stuck for 2 hrs in a jam 1.5 hrs out of the city...flipped tractor trailer...sit there. we all been there...

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
We had a dusting last year, govt closed early..............dumped everyone on the road around 1pm..........at 10pm folks were abandoning their cars, they were out of fuel...............5 or 6 miles from where they started
I was one of those. Took me 9 hours to get home that night (8 hours to go 10 miles, 1 hour for the remaining 15), usually only takes 50 minutes. I saw people walking up and down the road carrying gas cans. My TDI's fuel gauge barely moved, though. :cool: The only thing I had to stop for was to pee.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I was one of those. Took me 9 hours to get home that night (8 hours to go 10 miles, 1 hour for the remaining 15), usually only takes 50 minutes. I saw people walking up and down the road carrying gas cans. My TDI's fuel gauge barely moved, though. :cool: The only thing I had to stop for was to pee.
:D Been there, done that.....................had a "surprise" storm a Balt a few years back, took 6.5 hours for a normal 1hr trip. Fortunately I had an old soda bottle in the car :eek: :D

........................... we both cannot understand why anybody would even consider an autotragic transmission.
Then I guess it's fortunate that the new Passat doesn't come with one.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I've driven 9 hours in a blizzard that dumped about 50 cm of snow.

I managed to do about 300 km in that time (180 miles, Rimouski to New Richmond, QC) :D

We Quebecers can sometimes confuse our car for our snowmobile :D

Absolute Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD)
I think a mod needs to change the thread title to "Superior Race of Manual Trans Drivers Thread" :rolleyes: I came in to read about the new Passat only to find this topic rehashed yet again.

I'm serious though, there should be a dedicated thread for manual trans superiority posts and other general transmission related questions.:eek:

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
I'm serious though, there should be a dedicated thread for manual trans superiority posts and other general transmission related questions.:eek:
It is why I sometimes avoid this forum. While I understand the frustration at times in trying to get the transmission you want, please don't take it out on those who's preferences are different than yours. You have your reason for your preferences, and we have ours.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I think a mod needs to change the thread title to "Superior Race of Manual Trans Drivers Thread" :rolleyes: I came in to read about the new Passat only to find this topic rehashed yet again.
Well one can enjoy the irony - arguing about 2 manuals, one shifted by a human & one by a computer = funny. Toss in the oft demonstrated weak link in the operation of an automobile is????? (human) :D

Saw Motorweek's test of the new Passat. Don't put any stock in what they say (nary a bad word is ever spoken).......................but their engine of choice was the TDI = it should be interesting to watch Passat sales. As I said somewhere around here it almost seems as if VW is making the TDI the "go to " model....................2.5L is too weak, V6 too expensive.................that leaves? TDI

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well one can enjoy the irony - arguing about 2 manuals, one shifted by a human & one by a computer = funny. Toss in the oft demonstrated weak link in the operation of an automobile is????? (human) :D
Well, as good as the DSG is, I simply can't bring myself to call it a manual because it can shift all by itself. Manual to me means some form of human intervention.

I prefer to call it an automated mechanical gearbox (as opposed to hydraulic like a "normal" automatic).

I've driven DSGs and I definitely prefer it to a "slushbox" automatic. But I still prefer being the weak link in the chain :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

ya, maybe us stick drivers should just move to another planet.....we can call it stick-land. i predict they sell under 10% sticks in the new passat back on topic....