First TDI, first question...

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
Greetings all, this is a wonderful forum! I'm now the proud owner of a '99.5 Jetta with 180k. A running car for $100! As I plan my purchases, intake cleaning, timing belt change, sensor replacements, etc., I have noticed some significant price differences, particularly in injector nozzles. Since I can easily envision spending 10x the car's purchase price in the initial engine spruce-up, I don't want to throw money away needlessly.

Bottom line, are $250 nozzles really worth the money compared to $89 nozzles? Or is this just another case of "designer jeans" vs Levi's?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Do NOT spend $.01 on cheap Chinese nozzles. Look at either Bosch or Bosio.

The nozzle is one of the most critical components of a diesel engine.

Welcome aboard, JL!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
or stick with the vendors here on the site, Kerma, TDiparts, Bleachedbora. they dont sell junk. and Yes, stay with Bosio, Bosch or sprint.

Yep, Welcome aboard, and a tip for ya, READ READ READ. sooo much info so little time.

Eric B

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
The site with the $89 nozzles also had great (to me) prices on turbos ($250), VNT mechanisms ($110), etc. Should I assume the same?

Yes - been reading - too much to learn in so little time!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of us have come to learn that we by from our group of trusted vendors.

Who is the company you are referring to?

JLKunka

TDI
DieselVW.com - may have other websites..

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The old adage "you get what you pay for" applies in spades to these cars.

cheap nozzles with bad spray patterns can wreck pistons.

cheap turbos can grenade engines

cheap timing belt kits can grenage engines.

It sounds like you got a bargain on the car. Keep it a bargain instead of a money pit. If you read the site, you will find many stories of people who tried to save a buck and regretted it later.

In my case, I had cheap nozzles in my car for about 30k, and while they worked OK except for some excess smoke, the Bosio PP520's I have now have made a world of difference in terms of Idle quality and ease of starting.

Get the good stuff. Your car will thank you for it.

A full proper timing belt change (including rollers, tensioner, waterpump and bolts) should be first on you list.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't recognize the name. Perhaps others will.

In the meantime, maybe you'll scan thru the "known good" vendors that Mr Kook listed above for you and see what comparisons you might make (quality vs. low price).

JLKunka

TDI
I agree - couldn't pass up the deal on the car, though. It actually didn't run and I towed it home. Owner said it wouldn't start. 10 minutes of tinkering and I found the battery cables were loose. Started right up!

Immediate needs are VAG-COM and timing kit. Beyond that, intercooler lower pipe is disconnected, MAF is probably bad, turbo vanes are stuck. Body, interior are decent. Should be a fun car after some tweaking!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
JLKunka said:
DieselVW.com - may have other websites..
i believe that is the reviled "prothe" of ebay notoriety. if it is, then my advice is to stay away...

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
and windex said it:
Get a Timing belt job done first before you do any modding. a loose battery cable might be a deversion to another problem, (was seller trying to hide something) just being cautious.
Find a local Guru to yourself and have them do the TB. because a couple hundred bucks now will save you a bunch of thousands later.

KooK

JLKunka

TDI
tditom - Wow - looks like the same stuff to me. I've always heard that multiple websites selling the same lot of goods is a warning sign! Thanks for the catch.

Last edited:

JLKunka

TDI
TDIkook - no, the guy is just basically clueless. He works with me. He's a mechanical engineer, too. Makes me ashamed of the fact I'm a mechanical engineer....except I'm a good one!