First start after new cam & balance shaft delete

Head887

TDI
Passat 2005
So I’m almost at the point where I’m ready to start the motor after doing my cam and balance shaft delete. Do I need to prime the oil pump / system? I did use assembly lube while putting cam in, it has been about 5 months since the rebuild of that makes any difference? If so how do I go about priming? I have searched but not much luck finding anything.
Is there anything else I need to do before the fierst start up?
Thanks for any advice!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
By your title it sounds like you deleted your cam....

Please clarify, you deleted the balance shaft, as well as replaced the camshaft, 5 months ago and the engine sat un-started from then until now?

Head887

TDI
Passat 2005
Sorry for the confusion, yes that is correct. I installed a new cam and also deleted the balance shaft. Motor has now been sitting for about 5 months.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Here's a thread that talks about breaking in the cam. If you don't do that, it can cause your new cam to wear out faster.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Additionally, it would be a good idea to crank the engine over with the glowplugs out and the fuel harness disconnected to build oil pressure prior to start

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Additionally, it would be a good idea to crank the engine over with the glowplugs out and the fuel harness disconnected to build oil pressure prior to start
I always do this too...with clean fresh oil and filter to....get fresh clean oil everywhere...under pressure. I crank every engine without starting it...that i build no matter what type it is to run oil through it....but im especially concerned about getting oil flowing through the turbo before starting. It may not be absolutely necessary but im pretty sure its not hurting anything

Last edited:

Head887

TDI
Passat 2005
Finally got back around to working on this again.
I removed the fuel harness and cranked the engine for about 15 seconds, did that 4 times. Let me back up a second...Before that I did install a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I could see If did have oil pressure. While cranking it wasn't building any pressure. although it was cranking at a normal speed I thought maybe it wasn't cranking fast enough to build pressure. I hooked the fuel harness back up and cranked for about 10 seconds and it started. let it run for about 5-8 seconds and still no oil pressure showing. I removed the oil filter cap and there was a little oil in the bottom but not much. Don't know if it should stay full or not. I did start to dump some oil in the oil filter housing but it seemed to not hold any oil.

Started it again and let run for 5 seconds and still no oil pressure.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should do?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Finally got back around to working on this again.
I removed the fuel harness and cranked the engine for about 15 seconds, did that 4 times. Let me back up a second...Before that I did install a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I could see If did have oil pressure. While cranking it wasn't building any pressure. although it was cranking at a normal speed I thought maybe it wasn't cranking fast enough to build pressure. I hooked the fuel harness back up and cranked for about 10 seconds and it started. let it run for about 5-8 seconds and still no oil pressure showing. I removed the oil filter cap and there was a little oil in the bottom but not much. Don't know if it should stay full or not. I did start to dump some oil in the oil filter housing but it seemed to not hold any oil.

Started it again and let run for 5 seconds and still no oil pressure.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should do?
Did you plug the hole for the balance shaft oil feed? If it's not plugged, you'll have zero oil pressure.

Head887

TDI
Passat 2005
Yes I plugged the hole and I’m pretty certain I plugged the correct hole. I will pull the oil pan and confirm.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Take it off maybe if you are pulling the oil pan anyway and pour some oil in it. If it is dry it may not have much suction.