First service appointment (one month after writing a check)

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Dealer rep called. Have the one month followup after delivery courtesy appointment scheduled mid-May.

Currently only concern is the inaccurate MFI compass display. OM indicates correct reading by driving in a 6MPH circle while holding down a function button......after proper zone selection.

Any chance the selling dealer's service techs would be doing this sort of thing on a routine basis?

Plus would it be a fair statement that the MFI "average MPG" function could be a good preview of what to expect at my first click, then divide gallons pumped into the trip odo?

Initial indications seem impressive with odometer reading circa 200 miles.

This site is proving really helpful. Turning off C/C enables constant odometer display was but one helpful hint that TDIClub Forum provided to me

Love my Mac (but the computer functions on the otherwise flawless JSW TDI seem somehow less appealing)

best (and TIA) ez

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Tell them about the compass; they should be able to perform the procedure and correct it, but they wouldn't even look at it if you don't mention it.

Don't worry about mileage at all for now; just concentrate on breaking it in properly; your mileage will improve as the engine wears in ;)

You'll have to run a couple tanks and determine how accurate your Average MPG reading is; they range from pretty near correct to 3-5 mpg off; depends on the car I'm afraid.

Welcome to CR TDIs!

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I don't think you need to hold the button down during your drive in a circle, at least from what I read in the manual.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Depending on the dealer, of course. Mine here in Central VA (Fredericksburg) is terrific - Bill Britt VW. I'd recommend them to anyone. FWIW, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda....
I'm sure that there are a few good dealers out there, right?

I personally enjoy working on and maintaining my vehicles and I get a huge sense of satisfaction in doing things myself. I know that I paid for the 'free service' in the price of my VW but I'll still do it all myself and pay for it again.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Compass

I'm sure that there are a few good dealers out there, right?
I know that I paid for the 'free service' in the price of my VW but I'll still do it all myself and pay for it again.
There are three VW dealers within 20 miles of our state capitol

I view my early May courtesy service appointment with the selling dealer as an audition.

I'm sorta embarrassed to say - after all these years - I'm a little reluctant to point to my inability to calibrate the compass.

The compass is 180 out of phase. The problem is - as indicated within this very useful site - the magnetic sensor probably was installed backwards.

I'm (obviously) ambivalent.

It's a great car. The clutch, 6M, steering, brakes (the horn is resistive to normal hand pressure) - - - - built the JSW TDI impresses the hell out of this sailor.

During my time as a navigator, the concept of reciprocal headings/courses was routine. I could live with this (but........)

Reckon I'm concerned that some heavy handed tech(?) - or other dude will smudge/FU the Cornsilk headliner - (the sensor is under the rear 'shark fin' antenna).

Regret (somewhat) this wordy post. It's theraputic. Many here get it. Would the concept of being anal fit here?

ez

Last edited:

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
The dealerships are for the most part fine while the car is under warranty. My car is still under warranty and I've taken it to the delivering dealer and one closer to my home for service and minor issue correction and both service departments were excellent. Once the car comes off warranty though, then it's grab your ankles and this is not unique to the VW brand. They all operate on that same plan. See my post about the $275 battery replacement. FWIW