First post, tranny question

Jetta.Justin

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hello, first time posting.
I have an 06 Jetta BRM package 2 with a manual transmission. I’ve installed KermaTDI 150+ package, and I’ve been running it for about 60k miles. (It’s really great, btw)
Lately I’ve noticed a bit of a noise when I turn at speeds above 30mph. I lifted up the car and checked my wheel bearings It all looked alright. I’ve installed all new breaks and rotors, no change in the noise. New tires, no change. It’s progressively getting worse, I’m guessing it’s the transmission. But I don’t really know.

Any input?

I’m already looking into switching to the 02Q 6 speed, I just hope my current transmission lasts long enough for me to gather up all the parts.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Can you describe the noise?

As mentioned, it could be a CV joint.

Have you checked trans lube level? Is there any wetness on the drive flange seal areas?
Those 02J transmissions get 2 full liters of lube when mounted in the Jetta and that puts the level above the side filler hole. If you remove it and no lube pours out, it is low.

There is a procedure in the Bentley manual for checking the amount of lube that involves removal of an internal pivot (accessible on the outside of the case on the bottom) to catch and measure the quantity. The lube will not fully drain with just the bottom hex plug.

Perhaps the checking procedure is mentioned in the How-To thread in this TDI101 forum.

Last edited:

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
How did you determine the wheel bearings were ok? Can make the noise change by loading/unloading one side or the other while driving?

Jetta.Justin

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I checked the wheel bearings with the car in the air, I checked for play. Grabbing the wheel side to side, top and bottom. I didn’t find anything there. I went on to the cv joints. Grabbing the shaft and moving it looking for any free play. The only play I could find seemed to be in the diff.
(On a side note, I have a lot of slop between accelerating and decelerating, enough that a few months ago I replaced the dog bone mount, assuming that was the cause, but when I pulled it out it was fine)
Anyway while I was there I pulled the filler plug in the front and it spilled out fluid. (It smelled like hypoid) I went ahead and drained it (drain plug under the diff) and filled it with gear oil from the dealer.
This was all over 10,000 miles ago.

I’ll need to take the time to look around the forum and see what I find about filling it. But to be entirely honest, I’m pretty sure I want to get everything together for the 6 speed. Maybe even getting it upgraded with a limited slip.

Jetta.Justin

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Can you describe the noise?
As mentioned, it could be a CV joint.
Have you checked trans lube level? Is there any wetness on the drive flange seal areas?
Those 02J transmissions get 2 full liters of lube when mounted in the Jetta and that puts the level above the side filler hole. If you remove it and no lube pours out, it is low.
There is a procedure in the Bentley manual for checking the amount of lube that involves removal of an internal pivot (accessible on the outside of the case on the bottom) to catch and measure the quantity. The lube will not fully drain with just the bottom hex plug.
Perhaps the checking procedure is mentioned in the How-To thread in this TDI101 forum.
So I did some digging and I found this
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-mk5-mk6-tdi/
I’ll be doing this in the next few days and I’ll see how it goes.