First Oil Change

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Guys, I just bought my Pela 6000 and now trying to decide on 507 oil and filter along with a fuel filter. I know nothing about TOTAL Quartz Ineo but hear it's an excellent oil and that Hengst and Mann filters are OEM and excellent quality too. I was told that the Castrol SLX is a "synthetic blend" and not 100% synthetic like the higher quality European synthetic oils like TOTAL but I am not sure as to the accuracy of this statement. After reading threads on fuel filters, I am going to change that too every 10K miles as it appears very easy to do with great instructions in this forum.

Any recommendations on oil, oil filters and fuel filters and where to go to get the best pricing?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help and expertise:)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
TDI - where are you buying them from? I can't find Hengst anywhere:(

You gave a link in the past but they no longer sold Hengst.

Thanks!

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
And in case you missed it, Pep boys sells the Mobile 1. I just get my OF from the dealer that way I have an invoice for my record.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
securityguy said:
TDI - where are you buying them from? I can't find Hengst anywhere:(

You gave a link in the past but they no longer sold Hengst.

Thanks!
I still get mine from www.EuroPartsDirect.com

If they don't have Hengst filters for your car, let me do SAR

For a second thought, is your car still under warranty?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
securityguy said:
Thanks TDI...yes, car only has 5500 miles and is 4 months old.
The first oil change is at 10k miles. We have seen many used-oil tests from new TDI engines after 5k miles and they have all been fine to go the full 10k miles.

There are many online vendors who sell oil filters; pick on, then order several filters so you save on shipping charges. Or, you might ask at your VW dealership what they charge for oil filters -- sometimes they have good prices and you don't have to pay for shipping. You should probably expect to pay around $8 or a little more, which is not bad every 10k miles.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thanks Tornado. I think I am going to be one of those guys that goes every 5K versus every 10K...just makes me feel better:)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Oil is critical for our engines, but it is not all that difficult to do it right. Start with the owner's manual and make sure any oil you use meets or exceeds the VW specs. Change the oil and filter no less often than what the manual list.

The specific oil or filter brand or additional oil changes is not really all that important as long as they meet specs.

Back in the 50's, yea I remember the 50's, it was not unusual for an engine to die due to oil issues. Poor or marginal oil was not unusual. Oil filters actually failed on occasion. Today, it is extremely rare to see engine damage due to oil issues other than gross neglect, or things like someone leaving the oil plug loose.

Nothing wrong about being careful and you should be, but enjoy your car, and don't let it rule you.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
YEAH, Baby!

T_D_I_POWER said:
Filters: Hengst

AF: E488L / E488L01 Cold Climate
FF: E87KP D150
OF: E19H D83
SG, as the others hint at, all you need to worry about is seeing "507.00" printed on the bottle. None of the other "noise" matters.

The Europeans have adopted a very different and simplistic process of coaching the consumer by just giving him one thing to focus on: a quality standard for a given engine. In your case that quality standard is known as VAG 507.00. You don't need to sort thru or worry about any other attributes as that spec defines many parameters and eliminates all the guess work. More auto mfrs. adopt this strategy as time goes on since it's so specific.

Enjoy.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
securityguy said:
Thanks Tornado. I think I am going to be one of those guys that goes every 5K versus every 10K...just makes me feel better:)
Who cares how YOU feel why not do it so the engines oil performs properly by leaving it alone for 10,000 miles?

You do realize that the oil change in Europe can be as much as 30,000 miles...you don't see them running around changing their oil early?

Seriously don't cause more engine wear than needed by doing early oil changes. Your oil MUST remain in the motor for 10K...do a search it's been beaten to death around here!

Changing the fuel filter every 10K is also a waste of time. The filters are designed for a VERY conservative 20K, changing at 10K is just a waste of a fuel filter. If you want to do anything install a 2 micron CAT fuel filter.

Drive more worry less about peforming uneeded servicing on your car!

Last edited:

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thanks guys...I greatly appreciate the comments and insight. You really can beat this to death if you let it. I think I'll follow the advice of a VERY wise man on this forum.....

Drive more worry less:D

Have a great weekend everyone!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Joe_Meehan said:
Back in the 50's, yea I remember the 50's, it was not unusual for an engine to die due to oil issues. Poor or marginal oil was not unusual. Oil filters actually failed on occasion.
Joe, you need to update your profile :p to reflect your true age.....:D.

I remember the 50's too, but I had an English bicycle and played a lot of sandlot baseball then.:)

Tony

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
why spend the money on needless oil changes, last i looked all oil changes for the 2009 TDI are free,up to 30k. you just have to find a dealer with tech that knows how to do it right, just drive it !

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
vwrobert51 said:
why spend the money on needless oil changes, last i looked all oil changes for the 2009 TDI are free,up to 30k. you just have to find a dealer with tech that knows how to do it right, just drive it !
The problem is that you will burn up most of the 30K miles trying to find that elusive dealer that knows how to do it right.;)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
vwrobert51 said:
Shipping the cars to Hawaii gets expensive :D