First MOD! 2011 Jetta TDI, Panzer Plate by DieselGeek

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Well I decided my first mod should be something that will protect the car as opposed to make it go faster. I got myself a diesel geek’s Panzer Plate.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=Panzer+Skid+Plates

First of all, Jim is a great guy to deal with. I told him about duties in Canada so he sent the package via USPS and I didn’t have to pay much for duties and taxes. Great guy to deal with.

Now on to the product. This product MUST be installed using ramps or car lifts. I tired installing this the first time using car jack and the holes did not line up well. I tired the second time with the car on ramps and it went very smooth and fast. Install instructions were very clear and right to the point. Parts supplied were great as well and I was actually impressed that locktite was included as well.

For the 2011 Jetta TDI, you do require an 8mm triple square head for mounting the rear screws; I was able to purchase this bit from Canadian Tire. I'm sure this can be had at any auto parts suppliers.

I installed the brackets first, and then test mounted the panzer plate, once I knew it was a good fit then installed the plastic pan back on and then the panzer plate. I would the install would take about 2-4hours depending on your conditions. The plate feels solid; I’ve posted some pictures as well.
Now I just want to go offloading to see how the plate holds up! J

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Well I decided my first mod should be something that will protect the car as opposed to make it go faster. I got myself a diesel geek’s Panzer Plate.
Good choice for a first mod. If your "6spd" is a manual (all new TDIs are 6 speeds) Jim's shortshifter is great. You are right about working with Jim, his support is second to none.

no hole for the oil drain valve? or do you just ciphen the oil out?
MK5/6 Panzer plates do not have an oil drain hole, but only 4 nuts to remove is not a big deal. It's off a lot quicker than the plastic belly cover.

Have Fun!

Don

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Good choice for a first mod. If your "6spd" is a manual (all new TDIs are 6 speeds) Jim's shortshifter is great. You are right about working with Jim, his support is second to none.

MK5/6 Panzer plates do not have an oil drain hole, but only 4 nuts to remove is not a big deal. It's off a lot quicker than the plastic belly cover.

Have Fun!

Don
source?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Source for what? If you mean the source for Dieselgeek skid plates and shortshifters, it's here:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/StoreFront

If you mean source for my opinion of Jim's products - experience. I have a DG skid plate and a sigma6 shortshifter. Both have been installed for well over a year. Solid engineering and excellent construction.

If you mean source for my review of Jim's after-the-sale support - again experience. He even answers email on weekends and will stay on the phone and talk you through any problems you might have (I know this from experience also).

I hope I answered your question. If not, a multiple word question might be helpful.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Yeah he is a great guy to deal with. He works with you. I was tempted to get the 6spd short shifter, but i really dont do that much sprited driving. I just get on 401 and drive for 1000kms at a time :) so really its not required for my driving.

Mk6's use 3 screws in the back and 2 nuts in front to take off. But mk6's dont need to be drained from the bottom, most places use the top method, this includes the dealerships. So i really dont plan on taking the plate out.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah he is a great guy to deal with. He works with you. I was tempted to get the 6spd short shifter, but i really dont do that much sprited driving. I just get on 401 and drive for 1000kms at a time :) so really its not required for my driving.
I'm no hot shot driver either and I don't speed shift. However the improved feel and the precise shifts are worth it to me. ...Your choice...

So i really dont plan on taking the plate out.
Even with top side oil changes, it is still a good idea to remove the plate and look for leaks and worn parts (like worn C joint boots) at least occasionally.

Have Fun!

Don

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have both on my MKV (Shifter and Plate) and they are both great. Lets you have fun and peace of mind at the same time:)

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I recommend both DieselGeek parts as well. Both installed easily, and are quality machined parts. Love the Sigma6. Best upgrade to date.