First batch of new from Billet Colt Stage 2 PD cams arrived

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI

Yesterday, we were busy, busy shipping the first production run of Colt Stage 2 PD Cams.

This was an incredibly long wait! Thanks to everyone for your patience!!

We waited so that we could do the BEW, BHW, BRM cam project the right way.

Was there a way to get these to market sooner? No, not without compromising the integrity of the product.

This required that Colt Cams started with Induction Hardened Steel Billet blanks from a European foundry.

And guess what? Top high tech companies may do things to the highest standards , but as a client which supplies to a very small and specialized market ... they do the work on their schedule, not ours.

These are original design made from new billet blanks... not regrinds... but brand new from billet.

In Stock BEW / BHW Stage 2 Billet Camshafts for:

2004-2006 Volkwagen New Beetle with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines

2004-2006 Volkwagen Golf with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2005 Volkwagen Jetta with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2006 Volkwagen Jetta Wagon w/ 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2005 Volkswagen Passat with 2.0L BHW PD / Pumpe Duse engines

Colt Cam Stage 2 Billet PD Camshaft for BEW & BHW
For BEW and BHW engines

Colt Cams Stage 2 PD Billet Camshaft -New from European Billet ... the ultimate billet camshaft : fully machined from bar stock steel, with the finest metallurgy, cam design, and surface hardening treatments.
-

In Stock BRM Stage 2 Billet Camshafts for:

2005.5 - 2006 -2006.5 Volkwagen Jetta with 1.9L BRM PD / Pumpe Duse engines

[URL="http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-8220/Colt-Cams%2CColtCam%2C-camshaft%2CPD-Camshaft%2CPD%2C/Detail"]Colt Cam Stage 2 Billet PD Camshaft for BRM [/URL]
Colt Cams Stage 2 PD Billet Camshaft -New from European Billet ... the ultimate billet camshaft : fully machined from bar stock steel, with the finest metallurgy, cam design, and surface hardening treatments.

Chilled cast material is normally the industry standard for quality OHC performance cams. It is perfectly suitable for most applications, including the ALH TDI. However, PD engines [like BEW, BHW, BRM , PD130, PD150] are subject to unique stresses that require, at a minimum, a special forged cam. Our COLT cams are fully machined from forged steel billets. The resulting product is stronger, harder, and tougher than the cam that came in your car from the factory. We are the exclusive distributor of these ultimate billet PD cams in the USA.

3Year / 300K Mileage Warranty when ordered with kermaTDI Cam Kit Price: $699.00

--

This project took over two years to bring to market, but this is a great camshaft!

Geoff from Colt Cams has been fantastic! So many thanks Geoff for sticking this out.

Along the way Geoff had the unpleasant business experiences unique to this market, but he was true to his word and did not give up.

Finally, a real quality new from billet Stage 2 camshaft is here!

Let the games begin!:D

Last edited:

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
I just received my cam today! I miss driving my car. I will be installing it on Wednesday this week!

VailPowder

TDI
I just received my cam today! I miss driving my car. I will be installing it on Wednesday this week!
Enjoy!

Call, or email, if you have any install or tech support questions.:D

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I'm very interested as my camshaft is starting to wear a good amount...

So this is a stock profile camshaft with special treatments to deter premature wear?

once money appears in the bank account, i will definitely be purchasing a camshaft kit from you.

VailPowder

TDI
I'm very interested as my camshaft is starting to wear a good amount...

So this is a stock profile camshaft with special treatments to deter premature wear?

once money appears in the bank account, i will definitely be purchasing a camshaft kit from you.
Here is some info from our website

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-701/Colt-Cams,ColtCam,-camshaft,PD-Camshaft,PD,/Detail

Chilled cast material is the industry standard for quality OHC performance cams. It is perfectly suitable for most applications, including the ALH TDI. However, PD engines [like BEW, BHW, BRM , PD130, PD150] subject cams to unique stresses that require, at a minimum, a special forged cam. Our COLT cams are fully machined from forged steel billets. The resulting product is stronger, harder, and tougher than the cam that came in your car from the factory.

These new-from-billet COLT pumpe duse (PD) cams are superior to any oem or oem-style aftermarket replacement camshaft.

The original equipment Pumpe Duse camshafts, in particular, have developed a reputation for premature wear. While the oils used, cold starts, and other user-dependent variables can influence the life of your Pumpe duse camshaft, many if not most of the premature failures can be traced to what many consider to be an inherently flawed design. In fact, most of our customers didn't come looking for a performance cam, but instead find us after they discover they need to replace it out of necessity!

One problem: OEM style PD cams have a severe initial ramp angle that exacerbates the problems inherent in the shallow hardness depth found in the OEM cams and oem-style replacements. COLT optimizes the cam lobe geometry to reduce the high loads in this area of the cam profile. COLT pioneered this often-copied innovation, which can't be found in an OEM-spec cam!

Also consider: Our Colt Cams start as a solid forged blank (or "billet" if you will) with inherently superior metallurgy. The "budget" aftermarket OEM oem-style replacements (and any regrinds based on them) are based on cheap to manufacture, but much less durable, chill cast materials. In the PD cars, chilled cast cams will not provide the long service life that TDI owners have come to expect, because any hardness is only "skin deep". By comparison: The base metal used in Colt cams is already tougher than oem, and induction hardening, to a depth of several times that found in other cams, ensures unrivaled wear characteristics. Although others may offer extra-cost "add-on" treatments as a way to compensate for the soft materials, all of our new from billet Colt Cams come with superior materials and hardened surfaces at no extra cost.

Colt Cams solve these problems for once and for all- THIS IS THE LAST CAMSHAFT YOU WILL EVER HAVE TO BUY!! The combination of superior materials and optimized geometry allows us to offer a 300,000 mile warranty when a COLT CAM is purchased with one of our installation kits!! For most people this is effectively a lifetime warranty. Even if you didn't come looking for a performance cam, a new COLT will provide the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you will never have to worry about your cam again, for as long as you are likely to own your car.

We have no reservations about calling these the finest camshafts you can buy for your TDI powered car with Pumpe Duse unit injectors. We are proud to be the exclusive distributor of these ultimate billet PD cams in the USA.

Note: Most oil companies have taken out a percentage of additives that are meant for anti-scuffing for break in on flat tappet cams, kermaTDI supplies the best camshaft installation additive with the every Colt Cam

BREAK IN PROCEDURE
Cam Lube on all lobes, lifter faces, distributor gears and oil pump gears.
Oil all bearing journals and lifter barrels.
Always turn engine over by hand before starting, check for clearances and
proper timing location.
Fire up to 1800 – 2000 r.p.m. for 18 – 20 minutes.

MORE INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
IT's ALIVE!!!
Just finished putting in the new Colt cam today. Not too bad of a job, I took my time and had a bunch of interuptions so it took me all day. Much easier when you combine replacing the timing belt and the cam at the same time as I had to "re-do" a lot of the stuff I just did for the timing belt the month before. Too bad I didn't know I needed a new cam until it went out on me.

I had a bit of metal floating around in the engine. So I ended up draining the old engine oil which only had maybe 800 miles on it and put in new oil. Ran it for 10 minutes with a new filter then drained that. Put the new cam in using assembly lube, new filter and new oil, broke in the cam and lifters, drove to the grocery store and back and drained that oil. Now I will put in some good oil and run that for about 2K miles and drain, change, etc. Hopefully there isn't any other damage to the engine as a result of the metal.
I will let everyone know how the cam does over the next month.

When the time came to fire it up I had a bit of a scare, I cranked and cranked and it did not start. I had removed the tandom fuel pump and didn't think it was going to be an issue as I didn't lose much fuel. But I guess it lost it's prime. So I ended up getting out the vacuum pump and primed it from the return line.

VailPowder

TDI
Great warranty! I really like my stage II cam for my ALH. Similar HP/TQ gains between the two engine classes?
Glad you like the results! Geoff, and many TDI enthusiasts get credit for helping to make this a reality!

Similar gains! The new owners deserved some time to post their impressions, as that is what matters:D

VailPowder

TDI
IT's ALIVE!!!
Just finished putting in the new Colt cam today. Not too bad of a job, I took my time and had a bunch of interuptions so it took me all day. Much easier when you combine replacing the timing belt and the cam at the same time as I had to "re-do" a lot of the stuff I just did for the timing belt the month before. Too bad I didn't know I needed a new cam until it went out on me.

I had a bit of metal floating around in the engine. So I ended up draining the old engine oil which only had maybe 800 miles on it and put in new oil. Ran it for 10 minutes with a new filter then drained that. Put the new cam in using assembly lube, new filter and new oil, broke in the cam and lifters, drove to the grocery store and back and drained that oil. Now I will put in some good oil and run that for about 2K miles and drain, change, etc. Hopefully there isn't any other damage to the engine as a result of the metal.
I will let everyone know how the cam does over the next month.

When the time came to fire it up I had a bit of a scare, I cranked and cranked and it did not start. I had removed the tandom fuel pump and didn't think it was going to be an issue as I didn't lose much fuel. But I guess it lost it's prime. So I ended up getting out the vacuum pump and primed it from the return line.
Thanks for posting!

[I hate those 'did I forget something?' moments :D]

Glad you're back on the road! We all look forward to feedback as you get some miles on the new cam!

VailPowder

TDI
I should also mention that kerma dealers have, or can order, the cams.

And Authorized Colt Cam dealers like :

Matt Whitbread - Ohio

Chris Hill - Massachusetts

Steve Glover - Texas

Anuthee Huffstetter - Colorado

... will have these cams in stock , or can order them for you!

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
What are the differences between the Colt stage1 and stage 2 cams for a BEW engine?

VailPowder

TDI
What are the differences between the Colt stage1 and stage 2 cams for a BEW engine?

Here's some info:

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #1 – OEM replacement type cam with more lift. PD only[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #2 – Great bottom and mid range. Fast spool up and good fuel economy a straight drop in. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VE and PD applications[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #3 – Meant for the more modified vehicles looking for strong mid and top end. Normally a straight drop in, however, some models may require the top of lifter boss to be dremmeled for clearance of the lobes. VE Models. Please call on PD applications.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RACE GRINDS – for heavily modified race applications only not street-able. Please call for info.[/FONT]

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Here's some info:

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #1 – OEM replacement type cam with more lift. PD only[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #2 – Great bottom and mid range. Fast spool up and good fuel economy a straight drop in. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VE and PD applications[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]STAGE #3 – Meant for the more modified vehicles looking for strong mid and top end. Normally a straight drop in, however, some models may require the top of lifter boss to be dremmeled for clearance of the lobes. VE Models. Please call on PD applications.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RACE GRINDS – for heavily modified race applications only not street-able. Please call for info.[/FONT]
Do I see this right - actual camshaft specifications from someone selling camshafts?! Pinch me, it can't be true :).

Thank You!!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My understanding is the stock OE BHW cam is different than the stock OE BEW cam. Can you describe the differences and explain why it is OK to use a BEW cam in a BHW? Just trying to make sense of this before my time is up.

I'd like an answer to this as well. Specifically, what is the difference not only between the cam (valve) lobes, but the injector lobes. All 3 PD 4cyl engines sold in the USA have different cams... so different you can tell them apart without any measuring devices.

So is the performance cam a compromise on any specific engine? Your chart just says "PD", not which one.

VailPowder

TDI
I'd like an answer to this as well. Specifically, what is the difference not only between the cam (valve) lobes, but the injector lobes. All 3 PD 4cyl engines sold in the USA have different cams... so different you can tell them apart without any measuring devices.

So is the performance cam a compromise on any specific engine? Your chart just says "PD", not which one.
They are different, but we found the Stage 1 PD cam has worked well in all three engines.

We made a Stage 2 BRM to improve performance on BRM motors, and a BEW / BHW cam in Stage 2 I should add that the Stage 2 BEW / BHW will also work well in the BRM... the BRM version just adds a little bit more fun.

I suppose we could make a BHW specific Stage 2 cam if there was enough demand....but most PD customers are BEW or BRM owners. And, no doubt , while there may be some good technical arguments to support a BHW cam in Stage 2.... the fact is that the Stage 2 BEW / BHW works really well.

Right now we are selling faster than we can make them...and BEW and BRM are the most in demand. Sorry BHW guys :D If we see the demand , we will look into whether we can do something special .

[ But the current cam already works well ! ]

We make a Stage 2 BRM cam

Colt Cam Stage 2 Billet PD Camshaft for BRM

Chilled cast material is normally the industry standard for quality OHC performance cams. It is perfectly suitable for most applications, including the ALH TDI. However, PD engines [like BEW, BHW, BRM , PD130, PD150] are subject to unique stresses that require, at a minimum, a special forged cam. Our COLT cams are fully machined from forged steel billets. The resulting product is stronger, harder, and tougher than the cam that came in your car from the factory. We are the exclusive distributor of these ultimate billet PD cams in the USA.

3Year / 300K Mileage Warranty when ordered with kermaTDI Cam Kit Price: $699.00

--

And a Stage 2 BEW / BHW cam

Colt Cam Stage 2 Billet PD Camshaft for BEW & BHW
For BEW and BHW engines

Application:

2004-2006 Volkwagen New Beetle with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines

2004-2006 Volkwagen Golf with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2005 Volkwagen Jetta with 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2006 Volkwagen Jetta Wagon w/ 1.9L BEW PD / Pumpe Duse engines
2004-2005 Volkswagen Passat with 2.0L BHW PD / Pumpe Duse engines

--

3Year / 300K Mileage Warranty when ordered with kermaTDI Cam Kit

Price: $699.00