Fire @ Biodiesel Plant

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
:eek: Just was browsing the news websites and www.wham13.com has a breaking news story right now-there is a fire @ the Northern Biodiesel plant on Rt.104 in Ontario,NY (east of Rochester) -they should have more updates later......

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Tell 'em to stick to VO next time - much safer.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I was watching that last night. Sounds like a couple of pump motors overheated and started a fire. Went up into the ceiling from one of the reports. I was hoping on running out there to BUY some B100 here in a week or two. Hopefully they will still be able too!

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Yeah VO is totally safe in a fire...:rolleyes:
Nothing is safe in a fire. Point was I've never seen a fire started by VO proccessing.

Sorry if anyone was offended. Hope nobody was injured in the fire.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Ya know Phil, there are plenty of things none of us have seen. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen quite a bit though. Something you might want to think about.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you ever seen one? Please tell us about it. Have you ever even heard of one?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Phil- RC JUST said "plenty of things none of us has seen".

Are you seriously asking him "have you ever seen one?" What is happening to this thread?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Probably the biggest cause of restaurant fires is accumulated VO fumes in exhaust ducts being ignited by fan motor heat.

So yes, it happens all the time.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Now if they would just get that stuff out of the fryer and into my refinery where it belongs, everything would be alright.

Seriously though, I have never heard of a fire in a WVO filtering setup. It may have happened, but not very often. I would feel pretty safe saying it is much more likely in a biodiesel refinery.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Phil- RC JUST said "plenty of things none of us has seen".

Are you seriously asking him "have you ever seen one?" What is happening to this thread?
He quite definitely did not say he never saw a WVO fire - that's why I asked him. I would have thought that he would have some knowledge of them if he was suggesting that they happen. Probably a bad thought.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Just a general comment to you Phil; It seems from your stance here that if you yourself have not seen/experienced something in your own limited world... then it simply cannot occur or does not exist. Many things go on that few of us see/understand.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Seemed to me like a mini-joke (Phil) thats now being taken out of context.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a general comment to you Phil; It seems from your stance here that if you yourself have not seen/experienced something in your own limited world... then it simply cannot occur or does not exist. Many things go on that few of us see/understand.
I tend not to say things happen unless I have some knowledge about them. You may behave differently.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Seems like some of us could benefit from reading the thread titles.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

robzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf, 2001 Golf, 1987 Cabrio
I called Soy Energy in Pa Thursday and their plant suffered the same fate, it was a total loss. They said they didn't know when they'd be back in production either.