Finally Here! black-Black-BLACK 2004 TDI Variant

GETTIN_a_TDI

TDI
2004 Black B5.5 Variant
Well, I guess I need to change my name to “Finally_got_a_TDI”. Took delivery June 1. I special ordered this in Black with Tan Leather, and VW said they only had 2 orders for this, so they made them last.
It was worth the wait.

I see a lot of discussion of debadging and grill changing, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people getting rid of all those nasty little chrome thingys VW thought we Americans needed to make our Passats look more expensive than those great looking monocolor tricked out Jettas.

Did all the “usual” mods, Seat Heater switches, Rear fog/Euro switch/Euro Tail Lights, Short Antenna. Tinted everything I could, and painted everything else.

Here are the results. I hope you like it. If not… Well It’s not yours - It’s mine.

The biggest comment I hear after all this work is “what’s up with the stock wheels “??
I’m a mileage nut, hence the TDI.
Nokia (Nokian) makes a Low rolling resistance tire in the stock size, and as much as I’d like to upsize, I have to be true to my purpose. (and the B-5.5 wheels aren’t the worst ones VW has ever come up with)
At 55mph on the highway I get 46MPG; at about 75 (which is more likely), I still get around 43MPG.

So Now - On the Blackest midnight…. I loom up as a particularly Dark spot!
(So look out and don’t run into me!)

Here are all the specs!

2004 Passat B-5.5 TDI Variant – Black with tan leather
Oettinger Suspension Kit
Blacked out - De-Chromed and painted Monocolor
Left Front Door Molding, Paint-to Match (Wagon) 3B0853 515 AGRU
Right Front Door Molding, Paint-to Match (Wagon) 3B0853 516 AGRU
Left Rear Door Molding, Paint-to Match (Wagon) 3B0853 753 AGRU
Right Rear Door Molding, Paint-to Match (Wagon) 3B0853 754 AGRU

VW Variant Mini Wing 3B9071 640 9AX

Front Badge, TDI (Green DI)
Read Badge, TDI (Green DI)

Tinted our rear Euro-Tail lights w/ Rear Fogs (Jons)
Tinted Side Bumper (marker) Lights (CLUBB5 GB)
Tinted Mirror Turn Signals (Jons)
Euro Light switch

Nokian Low Rolling Resistance Tires
Oettinger Floor Mats

Short Antenna Mast from a 2004 VW Sharan
Kenwood DDX-7015 2 Din Monitor / Receiver DVD/CD/MP3/WMA
Kenwood KNA- DV4100 Navigation System
Kenwood KTC- SR903 Sirius Satellite Radio Module
Panavise 75138-200 In-Dash application Specific Cell Phone/ Ipod Mount for Handset Nokia CARK-91H Handsfree Phone interface/ Charger with Stereo Mute
Nokia 6310i International GSM Phone w/ Bluetooth
Also Bluetooth Telephone interface (Parrot)

Terk CFR 901 Invisible Cell Antenna - modified for GSM frequencies- Probably no longer available-Old unit we had in stock

Halogen 1156 Backup Lights
Halogen 1157 Brake lights

Old-Style Seat Heater Switches (Much Hotter) 3B0-963-563-C

UPDATE October 2004
Alientech Window Controller (This is cool for the money) (www.alientech.net)
4 LED Rear Bulbs on each side with all "filliments" operating (8 Driving Low Power - 8 Stop High Power- 1 lower Left High Power Fog Diode Isolated)

<font color="blue"> </font>
<font color="red"> </font>

kabatc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, '98, black
It's none of my business, but if you don't mide sharing what did you pay. I've been debating getting my wife out of her Honda CRV and into a wagon Passat or Jetta.

GETTIN_a_TDI

TDI
2004 Black B5.5 Variant
Well, VW Pricing isn't any big secret. I was lucky enough to find a dealer through another TDICLUB Member who knew about the Passat TDI's, and cared enough to take the time to work with me on a single sale of a vehicle that wasn't due to hit the US for 6 more months.

I went through several dealers who really didn't care about my business first though. I took a train for 3 hours on delivery day, and he picked me up (In a Phaeton of course) and took me back to the dealership. Did some other "Beyond the call of duty" stuff as well. (Write me if you really want to know).

He was
Jim Coiley - Sales Manager - Gensinger Motors
842 Valley Rd., Clifton, NJ 07013 - 973-778-8500.

Some people thought I was crazy to go so far to pick up the car, but not so. You know what I had to do after I picked it up? Drive it for 3 hours and play with it. Sat in it for about 2 more after that, so clearly I picked it up too close to home.

OK RE your actual question. Got every option available in the US, which is a short list to be sure. Wood and leather Package, ESP, Cold weather Package, If they had it, I picked it.

List Price, off the sticker $28,315.00
Jims Price (Pre Delivery mind you!) $27,084.00
Some Rebate He found -$ 1000.00
My Final Actual Cost $26,084.00

Then I spent a S#%T load more on mods
, but there you go.
Try to use Jim Coily, no matter where you live. We need to reward good people when we find them.
Thanks
William

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You should change your screen name for "Back in Black".
Yeah, it's very dark.
Very, very dark. You've been busy spending $$. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy this one.

Just a word of caution, I had smoked tails (Hella) on my Jetta for a while and found that people behind me had a very difficult time seeing the turn signals, brake lights, stuff like that in the bright sun. I realized this after I was nearly rear-ended on three occasions and people were screaming at me for not using my turn signals. You're lights look somewhat darker than the ones I had. You might want to drive behind the car on a bright,sunny day to make certain you're comfortable with the effect.

YMMW.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Could you give us more inormation about your Double DIN GPS/MP3 unit?

sg207ptg

TDI
Non-TDIs - 335d and 2 gas wagons
How do you like your Kenwood system esp. the NAV? Easy to use? Features? Where (stores) can I get it? How much am i looking at, including installation?

NJ is also within my driving distance. Definitely will call Jim up this fall if I decide to trade in my car. Thanks.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
How long you been living in Del to get THAT plate?

"Jealously"

Sam '02 Wagon

GETTIN_a_TDI

TDI
2004 Black B5.5 Variant
RE The Kenwood Nav.
There were only 2 double din nav systems in the running. This kenwood and the eclipse. Everyone steered me away from the eclipse.

I'm used to using a magellin 750M, and I like the magellin much better. This Kenwood isn't intuitive like the magellin, but I guess I should read the book. Had the Voice Commander installed as well. When I ask it to "zoom In" it displays the ski resort Icons?

It's OK, It will just take some getting used too I'm sure.
Seems very accurate. Very short time to first Fix (less than 30 seconds usually) Lots of features.

The Sirius Radio is neat (kenwood makes a nice small antenna for it), and I had a back up camera installed, because by this time I was out of control.

Bought the system online, and had the "local guy" put it in.
I'm out about $3800 for the Head, Nav, Sirius, Camera, Install, the whole sclemeel.

William

GETTIN_a_TDI

TDI
2004 Black B5.5 Variant
RE: Tinted Tails:
I was honestly a little worried about how dark they turned out.
I have installed All Halogen Bulbs in there, and I'm working on another Mod.

There are 4 actual Bulb holders in the center section of the European Tail light (2 per Circle).
I'm trying to figure out how to light filament 1 in all 4 for driving (running) lights, and all 4 big filaments (including the fog) for brakes. With halogens, it will probably look alot brighter. No problem with the electronics part of it, but the sockets are sort of weird. Thinking of modding up a dozen bulbs rather than the sockets.

I'll let you know.

Thanks for the warning. Point well taken.

In the words of "The Cannonball Run".... What's BEHIND me is not Important!
(Unless its a cop with no sense of humour)

William

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
AWESOME PLATE!!!! That's a really low number! We here in RI are also low plate number obcessed! I guess that is what happens when you live in the smallest state. I love the fact that DE gives you that porcelain plate if you have a low number plate!