Finally a New TDI

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I know I am extremely nervous to use something like this. Just don't want to spend more than $100 for something I am only using once. People use hand towels etc to make sure paint doesn't chip. Facebook, it was recommended to use plastidip on all the "contact" points and then just remove it when I am done. I like the towel idea better. I also have 1/2" thick sealer foam with tape on the back that I planned on getting creative with.

Their is a MK7 VW TDI Owners page and a VW TDI Owners page that I am on.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Yeah - I'm with Mrrogers1 on this - YIKES!!!

$100 and a couple hours will give you a 1-¼" receiver so you could use a hitch-mount rack.
This is a great find! I just can't put a hitch on my car lol I have a truck for that.

I found some cheap OEM roof racks but that is still $200 plus two bike attachments.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
This is a great find! I just can't put a hitch on my car lol I have a truck for that.
I found some cheap OEM roof racks but that is still $200 plus two bike attachments.
Wouldn't $100 + bike attachments be a better deal? Not sure why you couldn't have hitch on both if it keeps "things" off your car for this trip cheaper than the next option. :confused:

Here is what the Curt looks like on our cars. (I think you have Golf so the rear valence is NOT the same on yours as the GSW but you can see how it looks on the Amazon page.)

*Borrowed from another post here.

It's obviously your car, your call but your post slightly confused me. :eek:

Last edited:

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Wouldn't $100 + bike attachments be a better deal? Not sure why you couldn't have hitch on both if it keeps "things" off your car for this trip cheaper than the next option. :confused:

Here is what the Curt looks like on our cars. (I think you have Golf so the rear valence is NOT the same on yours as the GSW but you can see how it looks on the Amazon page.)

*Borrowed from another post here.

It's obviously your car, your call but your post slightly confused me. :eek:
Just don't want to install a hitch and cut my valence for something I would never use

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Just don't want to install a hitch and cut my valence for something I would never use
It doesn't look like you have to cut if you have a Golf and the GSW has an opening for the hitch from the factory. Did you look at the pics on Amazon?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
It doesn't look like you have to cut if you have a Golf and the GSW has an opening for the hitch from the factory. Did you look at the pics on Amazon?
Looks like a new scrape point for when I leave my driveway :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You clearly don't want a hitch on your car, but for anyone else who happens upon this thread, Mrrogers1 is correct - there is no cutting of the valance (GSW, but almost positive same for regular Golf/GTI).

I've installed hitches/receivers on four different VWs, and this one was by far the sturdiest, easiest, and cleanest-looking.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Found this on my car after picking it up from the phase 2 fix...

JK just a good joke sticker I slapped on for the laughs haha Dealership only replaced the line on my adblue leak so I am going back in for them to actually replace the solenoid this time.

Yes I ended up buying a strap mounted rear hatch bike rack. Also picked up 5' of 3m ventureshield wrap to put where straps go to prevent paint damage. Seems very secure for my simple road trip.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Tried to install Polar FIS last night and found out I am missing the cable that comes from the box and connects to stock gateway unit. Contacted Kerma already and they are sending one my way

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Got my car back last night and installed Polar FIS. Headunit freaked out and nothing loaded under telephone. Immediately uninstalled and car went back to normal.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I think I'm happy enough with an analog boost gauge and the oil temp readout in the MFD. EGT protection built in to the tune is a plus as well.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI

Got my Newsouth Boost Gauge installed finally (sorry about crappy iPhone pic). I added a T into the MAP sensor line and the rest was very simple. I am still in contact with Kerma and now AutoPolar to figure out PolarFIS issues but it is leaning towards a damaged unit.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.

Got my Newsouth Boost Gauge installed finally (sorry about crappy iPhone pic). I added a T into the MAP sensor line and the rest was very simple. I am still in contact with Kerma and now AutoPolar to figure out PolarFIS issues but it is leaning towards a damaged unit.
Nice! Can you post a picture of your connection at the MAP sensor? I can't get my ScanGauge calibrated to read boost correctly so I'll be going this route too. Definitely holding off on PolarFIS until they get all of the bugs worked out...

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Nice! Can you post a picture of your connection at the MAP sensor? I can't get my ScanGauge calibrated to read boost correctly so I'll be going this route too. Definitely holding off on PolarFIS until they get all of the bugs worked out...
Yeah I will snag a picture for you after work today! Might not be the prettiest but it works. Yeah I am just now going to be able to plug mine in tomorrow. Will be leaving my lower dash torn apart until updates come for the FIS.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Probably me being overly worried, but I didn't want to tap into the same short line for the MAP thinking it could potentially scavenge some of the air to feed the gauge and affect readings of the sensor. So, I got the boost tap that Darkside sells that sticks through the rubber elbow coming off the turbo compressor. It's a bit more work, but a shorter line that's easier to route.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Probably me being overly worried, but I didn't want to tap into the same short line for the MAP thinking it could potentially scavenge some of the air to feed the gauge and affect readings of the sensor. So, I got the boost tap that Darkside sells that sticks through the rubber elbow coming off the turbo compressor. It's a bit more work, but a shorter line that's easier to route.
So far, the gauge is very responsive. As you will see from my pic later I did a temporary install for now and will clean it up. That Darkside mount seems legit though and the "proper" route to go. Hope I dont run into that air reroute you mentioned

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I am taking the car to a local 1/4 mile strip for test & tune the 18th of July. Will try leaving in sport and then again using the malone launch control. Hoping to break into the 14s or is that a long shot? I am going to remove rear and passenger seats along with subs etc.

Last edited:

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Finally got to connect PolarFIS without the repercussions. However, I only see km/h and after talking the AutoPolar we discovered my ECU is not supported by the software. Assuming I am not the only one with this problem. A firmware update will be available in a few days and they have confirmed left margin text is close to being released also.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI

Sorry for the delay.