256 miles commuting to work
Half urban at 45mph
Half highway at 65mph

I drove 105 miles with the low fuel light on

Using the mfd as a guage, during my 550 mile trip I was getting an honest 60mpg

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Gratz Sips....nice run welcome to the club.

Curious. Manual or DSG?

Probably manual.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I've gotten over 800 once. Several times I could have based on estimated range, but I don't like to run the tank that low. Helps to have a longish commute (40mi each way).

captain

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (manual) - SOLD;2002 Jetta TDI(auto) - SOLD
Been on TDI Forums for a few years, jealous of all you pushing upper 40s and even 50 mi/gal. Since my wife's 2002 Jetta TDI auto (chipped) only gets 42mpgs, thought I'd never post this.
Last summer, we acquired a 2001 Jetta TDI manual commuter for me. Consistently get 48 mpgs, totally stock. With a little bit of patience, I meagered out a 804.1 mi@16.394 gallons. Then followed that up with a confirming 810.6@16.195. Both tanks, mixed driving (hwy/city/rural)

Chewing at the bit to go for a .658 gear.

And thanks for this site! This forum has answered many more questions than the dealership ever could have. From TB changes to intake cleaning, I wouldn't have dwelled into the engine compartment without all of you.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray

Finally got it! Lots of cruise control around 64 depending on traffic flow. Mostly my work commute of 50 mi round trip plus a 80ish mile round trip to fish one day. Lots of work for sure and itll be some time until I try again lol.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Enter....we're both at 48.1 mpg... LOL

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
97 jetta. I would have to get 57mpg to hit 800. My best tank ever was 55. I can hit 53 without too much fuss, but I doubt I'll ever hit 57. How big are your tanks or what's your mpg that you are getting 800s

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed you were 47.9 before. Pretty big jump considering how many fuel-up you have!
Well, it was about a month's worth of updates, but that 1000 mile tank certainly had a big impact.

:D

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
Yesterday I filled my 2003 ALH. It took 15.25 gallons and I had traveled 863 miles! I could have made 900 miles. The driving was mixed city and highway in and around my town. Great car.

furgburg

TDI
03 TDI wagon
Made it last week. 804 miles and 15.2 gallons to refill. Mixed daily driving. New to me 03 wagon. LOVE this car.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I'm not sure what you MK6 guys do. I babies the hell out of this thing. Made lots of enemies driving slow n slow starting. Coasted a lot. The wife drove it for a couple days tho but still. I was only going for 700 and...

It was a lot of city stop and go. The first 100 miles was all highway and had this...

So I was like, this is gonna be easy. I might even hit 800! Pfffft. I give up. Back to regular driving.

2011 Jetta TDI

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
What you get is based on a number of variables....but stop and go traffic of any significant amount is murder for overall fuel economy. To run up the big numbers usually involves long trips with a very high percentage of highway mileage. Small amounts of city can be handled as long as you minimize as much as possible any stop and go. Coasting and then speeding back up is far better at reducing your fuel usage.
So not every route, every driver, or every tank will allow running up these big numbers. Plus remember there are often trade-offs between economy, comfort, time, traffic, etc. So yes, there are things you could do to improve economy, but is that little bit of fuel savings worth having to put up with the negative impacts on all the rest?

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
As you can tell the tank wasn't filled as much as I've seen what you guys fill. Got 14.3 but ran in city for a whole day @0 miles left. Made me nervous. Maybe spending more time to fill it up more might give me more mileage at the end. But then again I only got 40 mpg. My commute is @50 miles round trip but drive a lot of stop n go in between.

I keep reading and following your tips. I'm learning. I thought I had this. I thought wrong. Lol.

2011 Jetta TDI

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you filling to the lip, or just until the pump clicks off?

For max range, you would fill right up until the fuel is just below the level of the lip in your fill tube. ie slow down at the end and dribble it in until the liquid fuel level is as high as you can get it. Of course, you need to do that just before you make a trip so you will burn off part of the fuel load, otherwise expansion can weep some of your fuel out the cap and onto the ground. But again, to get that range, conditons have to be right. Stop n' go, rain, snow, AC, windows down a lot, are all murder on high fuel economy. It's basically about energy. The less you use, the further you can go. Again, there are a lot of variables in this, some you can control, others you have no control over. As such conditions have to be right, and then it's up to you to do your part. The EPA numbers are for the typical driver, even allowing for the advantage that they underestimate diesel, it takes superior conditions/driver to exceed them greatly. Remember it's also a learning process. You have to learn what it takes to boost economy at your end so when conditions are right things will come together. There is a big gap between theory and practice, or more correctly your ability to execute the theory.
Like any other skill, it's something you work towards. So chin up, and keep practicing. I liked leaving up the instantaneous mpg so I could get immediate feedback on how I'm doing on specific tasks. Later I would use the trip mpg to monitor overall improvement using specific methods and seeing how much a boost they provide, or how to tune them to make it better.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Yea I always fill it to the rim. I'm guessing it's the stop n go n running AC that kills my mileage. I'm going to try again soon and try not to run too many errands n run around town. My 50 mile round trip will add up to a lot. If I have errands I'll go to the next town up instead n rack up the miles. I appreciate all your advice and posts. They are an inspiration to us all.

2011 Jetta TDI

tmbg

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI (base)
Bam, 800 mile club!

Hit an 800+ mile tank in my '14 Jetta TDI last night. I just came off an epic 8000 mile road trip, coast to coast and back, and the last leg was to run from my house in Kennesaw, GA to my mom's house in Ocala, FL and back to fetch my dogs whom she was taking care of for me.

I did it in one day, stopped once each way for food, and cruised an agonizing 58mph. I ran with the windows down in 96F heat to avoid running the AC. Hit some storms on the way back that made me slow down and drive white knuckle for longer than I would have liked; that ate some fuel, I could probably get 850 without those interruptions, however it's almost exactly 800 miles door to door.

I'm about to go fuel up and see what the actual pump mpg number looks like.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
BTW - windows down at 58MPH uses more fuel than AC on. That has been proven many times by many sources, first one to mind is Mythbusters. But even BMW and GM know this when they design their cars.

Jason

PS: true torture is that same trip with the windows up - last time the wife nearly killed me! ;)

tmbg

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI (base)
BTW - windows down at 58MPH uses more fuel than AC on. That has been proven many times by many sources, first one to mind is Mythbusters. But even BMW and GM know this when they design their cars.

Jason

PS: true torture is that same trip with the windows up - last time the wife nearly killed me! ;)

Not 100% sure I believe it, since I took a phone call during the trip for about an hour, and had the windows up and AC on for that stretch. No other changes, and dropped on the dash display from 61.3 to 60.5. Came back up quickly once the AC was off.

I fueled up, and it took 14.28gal to the lip, fuelly calcs it as 56.9. Dash showed 60.3 at the end of the trip.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tmbg/jetta

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Not 100% sure I believe it, since I took a phone call during the trip for about an hour, and had the windows up and AC on for that stretch. No other changes, and dropped on the dash display from 61.3 to 60.5. Came back up quickly once the AC was off.
I fueled up, and it took 14.28gal to the lip, fuelly calcs it as 56.9. Dash showed 60.3 at the end of the trip.
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tmbg/jetta
I didn't believe it either but it's true... I ran the ac today for 140km give or take and fuel economy barely took a hit... I guess it depends a lot on external factors which we can't control

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
What was the outside temperature and interior temp?

How much of a hit the AC gives you all depends on how much the compressor is running.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Also the load from the compressor has a similar curve as current draw of glow plugs. I can actually feel my car jerk slightly when the compressor first starts. The initial load is bad enough that if I'm stop in go traffic when I first starting the AC, I usually stall it a couple times. But after the car cools down a little and AC has been running a few minutes you hardly notice if the compressor is running or not.

I bet the MPG would have come back up after a longer period of time and the interior cooled off.

Jason