Final Horrifyingly Stupid Question - OCI?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Stormy,

The TBN's after 10,000 miles have largely been in the 1.5-2.5 range. This is fine for a VW 507.00 formulation with a starting TBN of ~ 6.0. What we're concerned with here is the rate of TBN depletion and not just the absolute "EOT" (end of test) number. TBN's in this range show some reserve, where service intervals of 12k-15k max are potentially possible, using North American diesel fuel, including small percentages of biodiesel.

TS

stormy

TDI
Seat Leon 5F ST DSG 2.0TDI EA288
Hi TooSlick,

thanks for youre reply :)

Over here in Germany we geht 7% Bio, rated by the goverment.
So it would be best, if I would want to stay on the safe side, to stick with the 10k mile intervall?

That is if I dont want to go through the UOA´s and what not to be shure?

Thanks again for the information :)

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I wouldn't exceed a 16,000 km service interval if it wasn't supported by oil analysis testing - based on the test data I've reviewed on this site. My feeling is that Oil Life Monitors ("OLM's"), are calibrated to provide acceptable, but not necessarily optimum, component life.

TS

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
When i had my 04 Jetta, the dealer said the OCI was 10K however at 5K to change the filter and add the additional 1 quart of oil that was depleted by the filter change.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
When i had my 04 Jetta, the dealer said the OCI was 10K however at 5K to change the filter and add the additional 1 quart of oil that was depleted by the filter change.
How retarded. If anything you could skip a filter change while changing the oil. Our filters are designed for up to 20K mile / 2 year intervals.