filter housing drain plug stuck

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
In the process of changing my oil and I'm unable to break loose the center drain plug on the filter housing. I never had an issue with it before.

I normally do all my own maintenance but he last time the oil was changed was on a road trip and I was across the country in Fresno Ca and I had a VW dealership do only an oil change... fast forward today and the housing drain plug is so tight that the I'm about to round off the plastic 13 mm nut.

Any suggestion to help get it off?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'll have to replace the cap. Send them the bill.

There are two different ones, depending on whose oil filter assembly got used on your engine, Hengst or Mahle.

03N-115-433 Hengst

03N-115-433-A Mahle

Please check the cap itself, as it may have a brand/part number already on it, otherwise you'll have to verify with your dealer by VIN.

You can spin the filter cap off without draining it: you'll just make a mess. If you have the replacement in your hand, though, you could try drilling a tiny hole in the lowest spot of the plastic and letting it drain out that way first.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Thanks oilhammer for the info!

You were right, It made a mess.... My housing is a Hengst with the part # you gave.

I'll be in St Louis next month for a wedding, might stop by and say hi. Its been 5-6 yrs since I was in St Louis and you worked on my Jetta..

Last edited:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
You'll have to replace the cap. Send them the bill.
There are two different ones, depending on whose oil filter assembly got used on your engine, Hengst or Mahle.
03N-115-433 Hengst
03N-115-433-A Mahle
Please check the cap itself, as it may have a brand/part number already on it, otherwise you'll have to verify with your dealer by VIN.
You can spin the filter cap off without draining it: you'll just make a mess. If you have the replacement in your hand, though, you could try drilling a tiny hole in the lowest spot of the plastic and letting it drain out that way first.
Are they actually different in terms of functionality? I bought one for my car at the dealer but I didn't check to see which version my car came with, and I don't believe they searched by vin.

Prior to my ownership the car had 3 or 4 dealer oil changes, and they managed to mangle the center nut in that short period of time.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I found a replacement on RockAuto.com for a oil filter housing for a total of $36.44 incl s/h which is like $25 cheaper than anyone else I found.

Its listed as a Dorman 921156 and it says on the site that Hengst is the vendor.

Looks the same, we will see....

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
idparts has a nice tool they sell for draining the canister. I might avoid having to unclip that sensor that is in the way. IDParts EA288 Oil Filter Drain Tool

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Follow up from my original post...
I ordered a replacement oil filter canister from RockAuto and it was a Dorman part 921156. It appears to be well constructed.
Had no issues with replacement after 2 weeks ...

Also with the original canister, I was able to get the center drain plug by using an impact driver.. Does anyone know the part number for just the center drain plug?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
5+2 NM for the center drain plug and 25+5 NM for the housing assy.
Not sure where the +2Nm and +5Nm spec is coming from (you're not the first person I've seen reference that.)

Manual clearly says straight up 5Nm for the centre drain plug; 25Nm for the filter housing itself.

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
OMG I am glad you posted that info from the service manual, I had no idea my shop towel was the wrong part number!!:eek:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I think that +2Nm and +5Nm is on the cap itself? I know I've seen it as well but have always just snugged the plug and torqued to 25Nm on the cap.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was sure my cap just said "25Nm + 5Nm", which I took to mean "25Nm for the big 'un; 5Nm for the little guy".

It's been a while, though, since I've looked at one.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
The Dealer stripped my drain plug too. Must have used an impact wrench on it....I never was able to get it out. I complained and they sent me a new cap with the plug. Of course they sent the wrong one. After about 10 weeks of complaining and waiting, I finally got them to send me the right cap. They then asked that I bring them the old cap, I said sure on my next visit, which will be never!

I still have to do the Phase 2, I am at 48k miles, and I am going to a different dealer, but I am really worried they will mess something up. I have 4 VW dealers within about 30 miles, so far 3 of the 4 dealers have either messed something up, lied or performed just straight up substandard work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, looks like the auto-censoring on f-bombs and other "not for prime time audiences" words on the new forums isn't quite working yet.
(I sent Fred a "conversation" letting him know.)

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Franklinstower you live in Kirkland. There is a pretty decent mechanic your way. Zahntech