Filling the vacuum HO5G GTG

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Filling the vacuum: HO5G GTG

OK OK whining & complaining works!
Saturday AUGUST 18th 2007 0900 till dark.
HO5G rules apply remember if you feel the need to fill the towns coffers with your hard earned cash do so at your own risk. The chief of police lives 3 doors up from the HO5G he will be glad to accept your contributions.
We’d like to see a few changes in our GTG format– actually we’d like to see a return to the way GTGs used to be back in 2004-2005. EVERYONE is still welcome... but please note:
#1 – ALL newbies:
By newbies I mean all of you that we don’t know. Just because you’ve been here doesn’t necessarily mean we know you! You'll be required to ‘check in’ with us and get a name tag. This is our home and we would like to know who’s here!
#2 – Food
No more mid-GTG food runs! No one should have to leave the GTG to shop for you! This is not directed at those 2-3 newbies who approached me last time and told me they did not know what to bring. We had to go out and buy food for waaay more than 3 people!
Please watch for a food thread. We will post a list of suggestions – please watch for this and PARTICIPATE! If you don’t bring something, don’t expect to eat something! It seems everyone has come to expect a certain few to 'carry' the food - chicken satay, steak & turkey tips and burgers n bunz come to mind. It's not fair to expect the same people to provide the bulk of the food!
#3 – Work
Garage space as always is first come, first served. Big jobs need to be cleared by us first. As always – NO timing belts unless done by a preapproved (i.e. mrchill, HermTDI, Jolly Green Giant) club member. Those arrangements MUST be made in advance with us & the person doing the work.
Bring the TOOLS and FLUIDS that you'll need for the job! We have a brake bleeder and oil extractor available. Bring containers for your fluids!
ALL WORK IS TO BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT!
Rocketchip is on the RC calendar for HO5G a tentative/positive.
note the RC master planner needs to send approval. PLEEEEZZZE Mrs. RC)
We are BLESSED RC WILL be at the HO5G GTG
(A word about chip tuning – If your car is not in near perfect running condition (i.e. – has no fault codes, is not exhibiting limp mode or other bizarre behavior) don’t necessarily plan on getting a chip! Chipping significantly changes the way your car runs. Cars generally must be healthy first before turning them into performance machines. Again, this is at Rocketchip’s discretion.)
We apologize for having to spell out GTG format, but lately it seems that more people come (which we love), but less food shows up (and we run out.) Also people seem to think the Hamster & I can get up early, stay up late AND have a full cleaning crew at our disposal. Friends, this is our HOME. We say it every time, but this time we emphasize it. We enjoy opening our home and garages to you. All we ask for is a little courtesy and respect in return.
Also we have a reatively shallow well for water and fluid spills are unacceptable.
Now back to our regularly scheduled GTG...
Need food:
Bring your tools & to do lists.
PeterV & Hamsterdiesel

8/9 Update - Work List
Note - you need not be on the list if the work you want to do doesn't require garage space!
Solon - shocks, struts & stuff
Sootman - turbo stuff
BlueCTTDI - turbo stuff
BeetleGo - e brake cables & rear brakes (Requires garage because Hamster requires carpet!):p

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Crap!!!! I'm working-that is, if I don't leave the place before then-which may just happen.Then I definitely would be there! I'm kinda itching for a road trip.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHA! Another Ho5G gtg! Hey Herm, you coming or what?:D Oh what to bring......what to bring........

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Sorry.......again but already commited

It's that time again. There is a little competition this year for GTGs in August, but I would like to again invite people to my home in Westminster, MD. Whether you are going to the Fest in Montreal or not you are welcome to come out and have a good time talking TDI.

Here are the specifics:
Date: Saturday, August 18th
Time: 9:00 a.m. - Whenever people decide to leave
Place: 1555 Conrose Drive, Westminster, MD 21157

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Geez, I was getting SOOOOO bored this summer with no events. I'm totally in on this.

Will patiently await the food thread.

Hmm, what does the hairy wagon need done???

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Newbie here and I would definitely be interested. I need help pulling and cleaning my turbo. Would this be doable?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Wife got hired today-signs papers on Mon./Tues w/ superintendent-then I'll be putting my 2 weeks notice in-which means I should be able to attend!!If it is,my first H05G!!!!! Don't plan on doing any work-just to meet all you great folks!! If Jeff does come by, maybe I'll have him make my RC2/3 into a 3 to see how it is- 175k on original clutch-I'm due for a new one probably.

hapnan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon Returned
I really do want to get the jetta or jetta's chipped.

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Totally There! With Tato Tacos! (and yes Juile I'll bring you extra salsa just for your little fridge after everyone else goes home!) PM'd you about yet another largeish job. ;)

Colraindub

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta TDI
Count me in for showing up and getting chipped. This will also be my first Ho5g and, well, first TDI gtg ever. I don't really have any work to do, but I'd like someone to go over the ventectomy, and possibly have a TDI guru take her for a spin and see what they think/ check over settings with vag-com (I've put sprint .205s in but haven't adjusted anything).

I look forward to meeting you all.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Lex4TDI4Life said:
I need help pulling and cleaning my turbo.
I know Peter's title says "Filling the vacuum...", but he didn't mean literally filling up his vacuum cleaner.
A turbo R&R is probably more time consuming that fits within the guidelines.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hey, just what I need before Montreal...a HO5G fix!!! I will of course check with the home staff here to see if I'm allowed an early releaase, but expect it should be all set. I'll check with the warden. Will bring beer, munchies, plates, cups etc.

I have a turbo that sings at high revs so I may want to RnR it, but can assure all I can have it out in 2 hours or less (I've had experience with it before). If nothing else Mrchill can tell me it's just my old age and a bad hearing aid battery that's making all the noise. :D

I may even have a couple of new things to show off by then...who knows.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Very cool. I might be able to find my way up there.... With any luck a certain vehicle might be on the road then too....

bigbtdi45

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta 2003 reflex silver
MikeS_18 said:
Geez, I was getting SOOOOO bored this summer with no events. I'm totally in on this.

Will patiently await the food thread.

Hmm, what does the hairy wagon need done???
Me too, I was wondering what was going on with the local group. Lately it seems that every one was ether moving out of the area, or going off in different directons. Anyway, I will most likely have to work that Sat. but I should be out by 5:30, at least I can make the early evening show.:) :D

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Varkias said:
Like what, a new car? Is there really anything else you could do to that beast?? :eek:
Chrome spark plug wires? You're probably right, but it's my main hobby and I gave up on the salt water aquarium so I gotta do something...

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Sootman said:
Chrome spark plug wires? You're probably right, but it's my main hobby and I gave up on the salt water aquarium so I gotta do something...
Speaking of chrome, I totally know what you need to do!

First donk VW TDI eva! yeah! You were looking for new wheels anyway right?? :D:D:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm in. Wouldn't miss it. I want to see what new tricks Jeff has up his sleeve for the A5.

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I Miss EVERYONE!

Two more weeks in VT
30+ pages of writing left and buckets of research left to do (or start)

The car and I shall be entering our transient phase around the 12th as I will spend the latter part of August seeing people as I make my way to Ohio for Sept 1st, but I will make sure to back track to NH for the 18th.

The driving as always has been fun up here, but the elements, dirt roads and lack of garage mean that this car needs a huge day of detailing at the GTG.

Last edited:

NH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon
I have been waiting for this...........Please put me on the RC list........I will gladly contribute as needed..........Might do a 5th gear swap if Peter doesn't get them in soon enough for me to do it here(hoping to borrow pullers, Chris?) Might need a little assistance doing nozzles(Keith?)
Can't wait.............

Yes, Please Mrs. RC..........

Last edited:

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
I don't think I am going to TDIfest this year so maybe I could show up for this instead and pretend it's the fest... :D

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Well, if Jeff can fit me in I'll be there... I have to work till 3 on Saturdays so I'll be there a little later..
My car is a 99.5 so I'll have to remove the ECU as soon as I get there for him to do his thing... I've been wanting to get chipped for quite a while now...

Is a PM here good enough to get ahold of him or should I also e-mail him through rocketchip.com? I know he's real busy so he can be hard to get ahold of sometimes...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When you know he's coming I'd just show up. I'll be there earlier in the day so if you want I can put your name on the list. He doesn't schedule appointments at GTGs because the time each car takes is too unpredictable.

I know your car's already quick but you'll love it even more.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
So normally I work saturday afternoons which would make this a little rough losing a days pay and all.... but I got laid off from my seasonal job at six flags yesterday so that makes the decision half as comlicated now.

Maybe I could get a small RC upgrade to finally push a little more boost for that 17 of mine....

sprucewire

TDI
jetta 02 black
Can't make TDI fest .I'll be moving into new house that week. "Future GTG ?" If not to busy packing etc, would love to make it to HO5G GTG. The Jetta is in need of repairs/upgrades but will have to wait till after the move.Could help others and learn a few things.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
YAY!!!! I was just mentioning to someone a few days ago that we haven't had a GTG lately, much less a HO5G.. Peter and Julie, you're the best. :)

I'm definitely in.. possibly new intercooler install if I haven't already done it by then (I have some new SMIC love sitting in my living room), but that at worst would only take a couple hours.

*patiently awaits food thread*