Filling an 09

rmuller510

TDI
2009 Jetta
Ever since my car was new I have had problems filling it. Here's what happens.

Pop the door.
Take off the cap.
Insert the nozzle fully.
Pull the handle all the way and set it.

The nozzle is continiously shutting it's self off. I have tried differnt placement of the nozzle "in or out further" and tried filling it slowly as well. Is this a common problem or could it be a defect with my car only, i havn't heard many problems with this. it looks to me like it is just filling so fast, or bubbling up to fast, and shutting it off. Anyone got any ideas??

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hi, welcome to Fred's! Do you want to try another station with lower pumping pressure?

rmuller510

TDI
2009 Jetta
I have tried several stations and tried manual holding the pump open only part way. After about half of a tank it seems to start going correctly and can set the pump and leave it. It will still stop at just over 3/4 full each time.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Well, diesel fuel does foam quite a bit and that might be impacting the auto shut-off on the pump handle. You might have to try pumping until it shut off and then re-trying until the tank is full.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
To his defense, in MN Holiday stations are replacing their diesel nozzels and these do not let you feather the valve. It is all or nothing. This makes it really hard, especially with winter blend, to top off a tank. It is impossible not to splash some foam out while doing it, and it does take much longer due to the surge each time.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Diesel fuel has always been "foamy" stuff, and the high-flow nozzles very common. You'll want to look around for stations with slower-filling auto pumps rather than truck pumps. It takes most folks a bit of adjusting to the new reality of buying diesel rather than gas. And one of those new realities is that you pretty much have to stand there and squeeze. The days of setting the nozzle and going off to check the oil or clean the windshield until the pump clicks off are over.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
In their own self-interest, some stations or even chains have dialed way back on the max flow rate at the automotive diesel pumps (to avoid having to deal with the mess of spilled fuel, which doesn't evaporate). What you want to do is find these stations in your area. You can recognize them at a glance...the pad in front of the diesel pump doesn't look (or smell) like the La Brea Tar Pits.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I've a '93 Caravan gasser (std) that has been doing this since 1993. Almost ANYWAY I turn the nozzle, set the flow, whistle Dixie, it kicks off. Only vehicle I've had do this and I've rented a lot of other Dodge Caravans over the last 15 years.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
rmuller510 said:
Ever since my car was new I have had problems filling it. Here's what happens.

Pop the door.
Take off the cap.
Insert the nozzle fully.
Pull the handle all the way and set it.

The nozzle is continiously shutting it's self off. I have tried differnt placement of the nozzle "in or out further" and tried filling it slowly as well. Is this a common problem or could it be a defect with my car only, i havn't heard many problems with this. it looks to me like it is just filling so fast, or bubbling up to fast, and shutting it off. Anyone got any ideas??
This has been reported a time or two on the 06 models. (same car as yours when it comes to the fuel tanks)
There is a vent passageway that comes from the top of the tank and merges with the filler neck near the filler opening. It likely has an obstruction in the vent passage (cap from an additive bottle for example, but could be anything).
Take it back to the dealer and take the service writer with you to his local filling station. Show him the problem you are having. Let them worry about it.:D
Warranty for sure, but get it done while within the 12,000 mile adjustment period.
BTW, I have had this happen to me a time or two when the wind is blowing just right across the filler opening. Very strange.

HTH
Bill