Filled up with Soladiesel B20 today!

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Filled up with Soladiesel B20 blend today. Propel fuels in Oakland on Grand Ave. Pump price is $4.25/gallon. So far, so good!

Last edited:

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I'm generally annoyed by Propel's marketing and labeling scheme. For one thing, they're selling B20, which is not the same as Biodiesel. They should spell out the difference. For another, when they say the fuel is compatible with all diesel vehicles, but they don't meet the ASTM spec for new CR VW TDIs, as just one example, that's also misleading.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I'm generally annoyed by Propel's marketing and labeling scheme. For one thing, they're selling B20, which is not the same as Biodiesel. They should spell out the difference. For another, when they say the fuel is compatible with all diesel vehicles, but they don't meet the ASTM spec for new CR VW TDIs, as just one example, that's also misleading.

I agree with you regarding Propel's marketing. By simply reading their pump labels, one would think that they're good to go when filling a brand new CR engine.

Regarding this specific B20 blend, so far I'm impressed with the results. I've run Propel's B20 traditional biodiesel blends in the past on both of my TDIs and I always noticed a fryer smell and increased tailpipe smoke on cold mornings. With the soladiesel blend, I really cannot tell the difference between this and standard petrol diesel. I plan on topping off Monday and driving from the East Bay down to SoCal. It will be interesting to see if this fuel affects fuel mileage.

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
If it is soladiesel it meets the spec for dino diesel, so would actually work in a common rail engine. After VW is done testing the Soladiesel hopefully it will be an approved diesel for VAG engines.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If it is soladiesel it meets the spec for dino diesel, so would actually work in a common rail engine. After VW is done testing the Soladiesel hopefully it will be an approved diesel for VAG engines.
There are two different Solazyme products: biodiesel (SoladieselBD) and renewable diesel (SoladieselRD). The former meets ASTM D6751 and the CR tdi is limited to 5% content of this. This is what Propel has availble. The latter meets D975 and would be OK to use in a CR at any mixture.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There are two different Solazyme products: biodiesel (SoladieselBD) and renewable diesel (SoladieselRD). The former meets ASTM D6751 and the CR tdi is limited to 5% content of this. This is what Propel has availble. The latter meets D975 and would be OK to use in a CR at any mixture.
Looking at the pump placards that drsven had in the first post, it appears this should be labeled as the R20, but that would be even more confusing.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I agree with you regarding Propel's marketing. By simply reading their pump labels, one would think that they're good to go when filling a brand new CR engine.

Regarding this specific B20 blend, so far I'm impressed with the results. I've run Propel's B20 traditional biodiesel blends in the past on both of my TDIs and I always noticed a fryer smell and increased tailpipe smoke on cold mornings. With the soladiesel blend, I really cannot tell the difference between this and standard petrol diesel. I plan on topping off Monday and driving from the East Bay down to SoCal. It will be interesting to see if this fuel affects fuel mileage.
Not sure if you are affliated or somehow committed to Propel or algae bio, but I personally go to blue sky in oakland: http://www.oaklandgasprices.com/Blue_Sky_Bio-Fuels_Gas_Stations/Oakland_-_SW/138964/index.aspx
They are cheaper than propel and most stations and is B99 too! I found out about it through the forum and been going there to fill up my 5gallon container to splash blend, though I mostly go to cheveron

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
$4.25 a gallon huh? How does that compare with regular diesel in your area?

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Looking at the pump placards that drsven had in the first post, it appears this should be labeled as the R20, but that would be even more confusing.
Huh, it's say Biodiesel all overe it. Biodiesel = BD.

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
Does anyone know why they aren't selling the Renewable diesel (SoladieselRD)? If I could buy something like that, I would consider buying a common rail diesel.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone know why they aren't selling the Renewable diesel (SoladieselRD)? If I could buy something like that, I would consider buying a common rail diesel.
They are still scaling up for production of the "R" diesel. Its not available yet.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Not sure if you are affliated or somehow committed to Propel or algae bio, but I personally go to blue sky in oakland: http://www.oaklandgasprices.com/Blue_Sky_Bio-Fuels_Gas_Stations/Oakland_-_SW/138964/index.aspx
They are cheaper than propel and most stations and is B99 too! I found out about it through the forum and been going there to fill up my 5gallon container to splash blend, though I mostly go to cheveron

No affliliation with Propel... just a life long East Bay resident :)
I'm actually a member over at Blue Sky/Sirona fuels. That place is great! I've run their B99 several times in my 2001, but so far not in the 2006.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Huh, it's say Biodiesel all overe it. Biodiesel = BD.
The Algel fuel is a renewable fuel, therefore should be R20. They also do biodiesel from regular FAME sources.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
$4.25 a gallon huh? How does that compare with regular diesel in your area?
Jay - At that time it was about 10 cents higher per gallon vs. regular D2.

Prices have dropped over the past couple of weeks.. my last fill of regular D2 @ a local Chevron was $3.93/gal.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
The Algel fuel is a renewable fuel, therefore should be R20. They also do biodiesel from regular FAME sources.
This is pretty confusing on their part, but the fuels are different:

SoladieselBD® and SoladieselRD® are the first algal-derived fuels to be successfully road-tested in blended and unblended (B100) forms for thousands of miles in unmodified vehicles.
Both are compatible with existing infrastructures, meet current U.S. and European fuel specifications, and can be used with factory-standard diesel engines without modification.
SoladieselBD® is a Fatty Acid Methyl Ester-based (FAME) fuel, which has demonstrated better cold temperature properties than any commercially available biodiesel.
SoladieselRD® (Renewable #2 Diesel) is ASTM D975 compliant and has demonstrated a cetane rating of over 74, which is more than 60 percent better than standard U.S. diesel fuel.
SoladieselHRF-76® is renewable diesel for ships. It's currently being used as the base fuel for testing and certification of renewable F-76. To date, Solazyme is the only company to provide the U.S. Navy with fully in-spec SoladieselHRF-76®.
Solajet™ is the world's first 100 percent algal-derived jet fuel, for both military and commercial applications. The fuel has been used in a U.S. Navy testing and certification program. Solajet™ meets all military specifications for HRJ-5 jet fuel and all non-petroleum commercial specifications for ASTM D 7566.
In the longer term, we expect to sell our oil directly to refiners, accessing their distribution infrastructure.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to Solazyme, their FAME based biodiesel comes from algae:
SoladieselBD® and SoladieselRD® are the first algal-derived fuels to be successfully road-tested in blended and unblended (B100) forms for thousands of miles in unmodified vehicles.
Both are compatible with existing infrastructures, meet current U.S. and European fuel specifications, and can be used with factory-standard diesel engines without modification.
SoladieselBD® is a Fatty Acid Methyl Ester-based (FAME) fuel, which has demonstrated better cold temperature properties than any commercially available biodiesel.
link

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Jay - At that time it was about 10 cents higher per gallon vs. regular D2.

Prices have dropped over the past couple of weeks.. my last fill of regular D2 @ a local Chevron was $3.93/gal.
Ok good to know, thanks. I didn't how it compared or it was supposed to be cheaper or more expensive to recoup the research costs.

fmikeh

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
I've bought 2 tanks of this at the Grand Ave station in Oakland. I'm not buying it anymore as my car has a pretty rough idle on this (really bad when cold). I thought it was a fluke but I put my usual blend (20% B100 from biofuel oasis mixed in tank with dino D) in after the first tank and the car clearly ran better. Went back to propel for another tank and symptoms immediately returned. Immediately resolved when-with 1/3 tank remaining-topped off with dino D. I'm going back to 20% blends with biofuel oasis stuff.

SMR

TDI
Currently: None :(, Previously: '04 Golf GLS, '12 Jetta 6M; Non-TDI Diesel: 116d EffDynEd
That's strange. My '04 Golf hasn't appeared to run any differently on the few tanks of Soladiesel I've filled (in Berkeley and Redwood City).

Does anybody know why different biodiesels sometimes purportedly cause rough running? I've read accounts from people that tried switching to B100 (on yelp, for example), but cannot recall coming across explanations, around here or otherwise.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
That's strange. My '04 Golf hasn't appeared to run any differently on the few tanks of Soladiesel I've filled (in Berkeley and Redwood City).
Are you sure Redwood City is Soladiesel? I stopped by there in late Dec. and the signs on and around the pump indicated it was Propel's conventional BD, not Soladiesel (per the signage at the Oakland station).

fmikeh

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
There's always a chance that it's a coincidence. Or the root is something else but maybe is exacerbated. But the difference is pretty striking when I've switched sources. It's not a really huge deal with the solazyme (ie I wouldn't figure damage is being done) but I, like most people, like my car to run smooth and happy.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
My car ran very well on Soladiesel B20. Fuel economy and power was the same as regular petrol diesel. FWIW - I've never run >20% bio-blends in my BRM.

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
I've bought 2 tanks of this at the Grand Ave station in Oakland. I'm not buying it anymore as my car has a pretty rough idle on this (really bad when cold). I thought it was a fluke but I put my usual blend (20% B100 from biofuel oasis mixed in tank with dino D) in after the first tank and the car clearly ran better. Went back to propel for another tank and symptoms immediately returned. Immediately resolved when-with 1/3 tank remaining-topped off with dino D. I'm going back to 20% blends with biofuel oasis stuff.
Interesting... Have you contacted Propel?

I live a mile from the Grand Ave. station and have been running 25% B20, 75% D2 in my 2010 Golf. I haven't noticed anything unusual but wouldn't expect to with that ratio.