Filed My First Diesel Fuel Tax Claim

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
A few months ago Virginia Governor McDonnell enacted a law that made Virginia the ONLY state without a gasoline tax (notice I did not say "first state" since no one else is dumb enough to do this). So people who do not own cars will now fund the road projects and maintenance (in addition to those who do). But he left the State diesel fuel tax in place. To make things fair for all fossil fuel automobile drivers, owners of diesel passenger cars may file a refund for the fuel tax. But "clean fuel" vehicle owners must pay a new $64 yearly fee. That is bass ackwards.

Well I filed my first refund for three tank fulls of diesel fuel under this new asinine law. I wonder how much it costs the State to process and mail one of these refunds. I'll have about 15 filings this year.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=99487&title=img-00603&cat=500

Yep, you read it correctly, my refund was $2.73.

--Nate

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Does VA have a state income tax? If so, wouldn't it have been easier to have it be a tax CREDIT, thus no separate filing. Just list the amount and attach copies of your receipts.

BTW, the Governor can't enact laws; that is done by the legislature. The Governor only approves or vetos bills passed by the legislature.

Last edited:

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The reason why the tax was not removed from diesel is because truckers use a lot of diesel and without a tax on diesel they would have increased the taxes on something else. In North Carolina and South Carolina people pay a tax on their car every year that goes by the value of the car. Have a newer car in this states and pay more tax than an older one.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That's a 'property tax', called an excise tax here in MA. Fortunately it's calculated on the base model so the fully loaded TDI is taxed for excise as if it were a GL 2.0 with crank windows.
So don't buy a 2014 this year, You'll get hit with new car valuation this year (pro-rated for 6 months) and all of next as well.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a 'property tax', called an excise tax here in MA. Fortunately it's calculated on the base model so the fully loaded TDI is taxed for excise as if it were a GL 2.0 with crank windows.
So don't buy a 2014 this year, You'll get hit with new car valuation this year (pro-rated for 6 months) and all of next as well.
Here in CA it is based on the price you PAID for the car and then is lowered slightly each year.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Guess I need to start saving receipts.
nine cents a gallon is worth it, as long as they pay the postage.

I also use a credit card that refunds me 5% on at the pump purchases.

between the two, would bring cost of $3.90 per gallon down to a net of 3.61 a gallon.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Dang, makes you want to own a Plug in hybrid and install solar panels on your house. My neighbor has a leaf and a set of 5k panels, pretty much drives free-

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang, makes you want to own a Plug in hybrid and install solar panels on your house. My neighbor has a leaf and a set of 5k panels, pretty much drives free-
Until Oregon joins Washington and other states adding special taxes only on hybrid & all-electric cars:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/28/hybrid-taxes-gas-tax-highway-funding/2110297/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...d-electric-car-owners-to-recoup-road-funding/

Wait, it already is planning to do so:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/RUFPP/Pages/ruc_overview.aspx

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Um, excuse me, but this is not entirely true. Virginia still has a gas tax, it is just no longer a specified cents per gallon, it is now in the form of a percentage, currently 3.2% for gasoline, and 6% for diesel. The higher rate for diesel is merely a continuation of the historical trend of taxing diesel more than gas, since most diesel is used by commercial entities. The idea was so that the revenue from fuel sales could rise with the cost of those fuels without the General Assembly or Governor having to campaign for raising taxes.

The tax rebate that our OP, @PDJetta filed to receive is the lone concession to folks who drive cars and light trucks that are diesel powered, and who had lobbied successfully for some relief. The rebate is to return the difference between the 3.2% gas rate and the 6% diesel rate, and at current prices amounts to about 10 cents per gallon, not a huge amount, but not insignificant, either. The reason it is done this way, that is, to get it, you have to create an account with the state, establish that you have a qualifying vehicle, and then submit claims for fuel bought, after which they'll mail you a check. They, of course, hope that most eligible folks won't bother.

Having two qualifying vehicles, the Jetta and a Jeep Liberty, I've already received my first rebate check in the amount of just about $11.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
One of my staff member did that. She and her husband lease a 2012 Volt and installed a 6 kw solar array on their house. She now buys gas every few months.

At the same time, I pay WAY less in road taxes, erm, license fees, for my 12-year-old Jetta than they do.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I have finally filed my first Virginia Diesel Tax Refund application. In summary:
Fill-ups between 7/9/13-11/20/13
Fill-ups: 11
Gallons: 145.53
Refund: estimated $13.24
I'm debating if the hassle of this is worth my time. Though I may not have to scan receipts after this first refund. We shall see.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
@solid19snake, you will still have to save those receipts, though, in case the state one day takes a notion to audit you. At that rate, I see you getting back somewhere around $50 a year, not a huge amount to be sure. So I rather doubt the state would be interested in auditing you for it.

I got back about $11 for my first filing. I'm thinking of filing about once a year.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I have had to submit receipts for each of my 3 filings (submit at the end of each month). I average about $5 a claim, which buys a lunch (almost).

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The reason why the tax was not removed from diesel is because truckers use a lot of diesel and without a tax on diesel they would have increased the taxes on something else.
Yes and no. Truckers must do a federal filing every quarter for federal fuel tax reporting. They have to basically pay the fuel tax by the mile in the state they drive in. Indiana has tax exempt fuel for truckers at the pump, but guess what happens when this filing is done.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
I got back about $11 for my first filing. I'm thinking of filing about once a year.
I'm planning to file twice a year. My reasoning is quite simple. You have 12 months to file. If you go over that...you're losing money. By filing twice a year I'm well within the window and have time to correct any errors or oversights.

I figure my first filing will net me a return of about $40.

Last edited: