Few Questions after Clutch Job - 2006 Jetta BRM Std

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
I recently had a shop replace my clutch on my 2006 VW Jetta TDI 5spd manual...likely could have done it myself, but lacked the shop space during hunting season, lacked friends who were available to help, and most importantly lacked the confidence to tackle it myself! Now that I've had the car back for a bit, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with!

1) I found this bolt in the engine compartment, mechanic never reinstalled it. I've attached a picture, where is it from?

2) When adjusting the shifter, the dieselgeek video (which has been recommended to me many times) talks about taking the slack out of the cables with the cable catches, but I can't tell if they are pulling the threaded section in, or pushing it out of the cable catch. Any idea?

3) I have had a hard time with the shifter since getting the car back...I've replaced most of the shifter bushings, and have to replace the shifter cable catches (spring loaded mechanisms that hold onto the threaded ends of the shifter cables). Are there different cable ends for front/back and side/side? Some sites sell the same one for both, others have them identified as separate.

4) Is there a way to lubricate the shift tower? Mine seems to be tough to move up and down to get into the home position (always takes me a minute or two to get it there). Not sure if that's normal or not.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Could it be the one that mounts the trans to the engine inside of the starter pocket?
Does it have a 12 point triple square recess on the face of the head?
If so, It would be hidden from plain sight.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Looks like a motor mount bolt, one that should have been replaced during the reinstall. Hopefully the bolts weren’t reused and this one forgotten.

Pull the cable ends toward the front of the car.

Cable ends are the same.

Spray it with some wd40 or similar.

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
Could it be the one that mounts the trans to the engine inside of the starter pocket?
Does it have a 12 point triple square recess on the face of the head?
If so, It would be hidden from plain sight.
I'll have a look first thing, if it is that bolt, is it possible to replace without too much messing around?

Unfortunately I don't have too much faith in the shop as they ended up breaking a couple of clips and stripped an Allen-head screw, the most basic of tasks lol.

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
Looks like a motor mount bolt, one that should have been replaced during the reinstall. Hopefully the bolts weren’t reused and this one forgotten.

Pull the cable ends toward the front of the car.

Cable ends are the same.

Spray it with some wd40 or similar.
Thank you very much for the reply, more information in these 4 lines than I could find on the google machine - appreciate it!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I'll have a look first thing, if it is that bolt, is it possible to replace without too much messing around?

Unfortunately I don't have too much faith in the shop as they ended up breaking a couple of clips and stripped an Allen-head screw, the most basic of tasks lol.

Don’t condemn them to quickly. Yes those are basic tasks, however those frustrating clips break all the time, and Allen head bolts do strip out, especially the ones on the harmonic balancer for instance. I always buy 4 brand new ones when I do a timing belt job.

I’ve even stripped out the Allen head valve cover (alh) bolts so I keep a few extra of those around also.

I’d be more concerned with that bolt. If the bolts were replaced that’s just a throw away old used extra. If the bolts were not replaced then a motor mount is missing a bolt.

I’d check the dog bone mount underneath. Make sure all the bolts are present and then the transmission mount which should be under the air box which you’ll have to remove to see the mount.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seems like some pretty poor workmanship to me. The bolt looks like a starter bolt at first glance.

No idea how they messed your shifter up, as you do not mess with any adjustments of any kind when R&Ring the transmission. You just disconnect them (super easy) and move them out of the way.

Was this shop at all familiar with Volkswagens? That is a super easy car to do a clutch on.

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
Don’t condemn them to quickly. Yes those are basic tasks, however those frustrating clips break all the time, and Allen head bolts do strip out, especially the ones on the harmonic balancer for instance. I always buy 4 brand new ones when I do a timing belt job.

I’ve even stripped out the Allen head valve cover (alh) bolts so I keep a few extra of those around also.

I’d be more concerned with that bolt. If the bolts were replaced that’s just a throw away old used extra. If the bolts were not replaced then a motor mount is missing a bolt.

I’d check the dog bone mount underneath. Make sure all the bolts are present and then the transmission mount which should be under the air box which you’ll have to remove to see the mount.
I'm usually pretty forgiving when it comes to giving folks the benefit of the doubt....but besides the clutch being replaced, this car came back to me in worse shape than I sent it to them. Not only was the bolt floating around, but what I meant by clip was actually for the air intake ducting, right from the grille, they tried ripping it off and broke one of the 2 tabs it is mounted to the body. Not only that, the Allen head is the one holding down the airbox....super easy to access and was in perfect condition when I sent it to them. I know that because I ended up taking it off and putting it back on half a dozen times. If that was it, fine...but when I received the car the air intake ducting was scabbed together and not even connected, literally an air gap between the u-shaped horn and air box, the vacuum hose to the air box also wasn't plugged back in, and the accordion intake hose was barely on.

I'll absolutely be checking everything over before this car leaves the driveway! Thanks for the reply and specific spot, I'll look there first!

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
Seems like some pretty poor workmanship to me. The bolt looks like a starter bolt at first glance.

No idea how they messed your shifter up, as you do not mess with any adjustments of any kind when R&Ring the transmission. You just disconnect them (super easy) and move them out of the way.

Was this shop at all familiar with Volkswagens? That is a super easy car to do a clutch on.
They were unfamiliar with VW, but unfortunately my options were limited...get the work done here for the same price, or tow it the 5hrs to Edmonton by myself and figure out how to get the immobile heap of TDI into the parking spot by myself.

Having said that, VW or not, poor workmanship is poor workmanship. You are absolutely right. If a VW noob such as myself can take it apart and put it back together properly, a trained mechanic also should have been able to.
Oh well, I've learned this lesson the hard way lol

As for the shifter, to be fair to the shop there was a considerable amount of slop in the system, so changing the adjustable cable ends (which were already sloppy/partially broken down with poor rubber) and installing new bushings should fix me up.