'fest B-D fuel mileage low?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
\'fest B-D fuel mileage low?

This question is for those that filled up with the Biodiesel made available at the 'fest:

Did you find that the amount of biodiesel needed to re-fill your car seemed higher or lower than you expected considering the driving habits you used to get to the 'fest?

I'm interested if you were you taking it easy trying for high mileage only to calculate a so-so trip mileage. Or perhaps you were rushing because you were running late and still had a decent trip economy? I'd like to hear a few reports.

Me? I was taking it easy. Mileage was not bad based on the Biodiesel I needed to fill the car, but not as good as I had expected given the route, speeds, and traffic conditions (all nearly perfect for low consumption). I purchased some extra fuel in jugs at the 'fest. These didn't seem to go as far as I expected, but I was in a bit more of a hurry getting back home.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.

Jon or should I say Lug Nut?
I topped off the tank in the car there, and the # of gallons needed to fill up figured out to terrible mileage. (37 mpg) I have never gotten that bad MPG even with a vaccum hose off. I honestly don't think their pump was reading correctly. While I got 2 mpg worse mileage with the supposedly 8 gallons on top of a B80 blend that I started with, the Vag-Com on the way back said 40 mpg @ 80 mph. Since local B100 is VERY expensive, I'm saving about a buck a gallon and running straight D2 and getting my regular mid to high 40's mpg. The 1st full tank of D2 after the Bio from the 'Fest netted a bit over 52 mpg.

I wonder what the dyno numbers would have been if I had D2 in the tank??

Mechnurse

Veteran Member
TDI
97/2K/05/15 Passat 06 Jetta TDI

Hi John,
My mileage dropped by 2mpg. It was my first tank of BD, so i'm still learning the MPG and that was with RC2.

Chris

Mechnurse

Veteran Member
TDI
97/2K/05/15 Passat 06 Jetta TDI

Thinking back, I remember how there was an issue with the amount of fuel pumped thru that setup. I fueled late Sat afternoon, You fueled mid morning I recall.

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon

I experienced lower mileage than expected. I was bone dry when I filled as well. According to them I took on 16 gallons and got around 36MPG that tank. I typically get around 40.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Re: \'fest B-D fuel mileage low?

I marked two of my spare 5 gallon jugs at the level at which their meter read "5 gallons". Today I had opportunity to buy more fuel from my customary B100 supply. I took the two marked jugs. One was up to the fest level at 4.672 gallons. The other was up to the fest level at 4.452 gallons. Taking an average of those two makes a shortage of 8.76%. The "10 'fest gallons" worked out to 9.124 us gallons.
No wonder my trip mileage was so average despite driving as if I had the world's last fuel. I re-calculated with the average error and came out to 72.73 mpg, right up there in Ernie territory.
You might wish to re-figure your mileage and spreadsheet entries for your own records.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

I had my wife fill up the Passat while I was wrenching. I just though she was confused when she told me the car took 18.5 gallons with a 1/8 tank of fuel showing on the gauge. She did say that there was a lot of foam in the hose when it was going in the car.

Explains a lot. Thanks, Jonathan

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver

Hi Jon! There was a problem with the meter at the Fest. They actually went to filling with 5 gallon jugs as the meter was waaay wrong and they admitted it. I got mine fron another guy who bought a bunch. His was in a 10 gallon clear fuel container. I calculated my mileage on Fest bio at the same as dino prior to the Fest. Once I got clipped for speeding in Ohio, and slowed down as a result, my mileage went way up.

Lug_Nut

TDI

I was aware of the meter issue. The fuel I bought was after the meter was "repaired" and selling resumed. I didn't have to buy the fuel, but I wanted B100 and that supply at the fest was convienient.
The $2.75 price per "gallon" of B100....excuse me...
The $2.75 service fee for pumping each "gallon" of the free B100,
worked out to $3.014 if the .9124 error I calculated held true for all the fuel dispensed. Still a very good price.