Fender rust recall (04 jetta)

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey guys, long time no see! I'm looking for some help with finding the recall papers regarding rusting fenders on jettas and golfs.

I've got some rust right behind the right front mudflap that I'd like to get taken care of. The car is a 2004 Jetta..

Thanks!
Ryan

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The fender TSB was for MK4 vehicles (1999.5-2003) and was specific to rust at the top of the fender, due to a foam piece attached behind it.

Sounds like you're talking about a different area and model, so probably not what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
That was more than likely under the 12 year unlimited km rust warranty. Not the TSB for the A4 foam in the fender.
That would be my guess... which might work for the OP's original problem as well, now that you mention it.

Having said that... the official "rust warranty" requires there be actual perforation, as far as I know... which may or may not be the case for the OP.

Willyswagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
That was more than likely under the 12 year unlimited km rust warranty. Not the TSB for the A4 foam in the fender.
They stated that the problen was caused by the foam block, car was 3 yrs old at the time, no perferation, just paint pealing and rust at foam block location.

The 2006 wagon is an A4

rojhero

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon
Was there any resolution on this? There's rust starting to form just behind the right front mudlap on our 04 Jetta Wagon. Given 5 more years of warranty, I'm pretty sure it will rust right though. The cause is some cracks in the metal just behind the mud flap on the inside. I'm going to go to VW and try and get a second rust warranty repair (first was for the hatch).

Cjbunltd

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '10 Jetta Sedan
I have rust forming from the inside out at the top of both front fenders (bubbling paint) on my '02 Jetta TDI with 207K miles. Does anybody know if VW will take care of it?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
VW should take care of it. Many of us on here have had effortless repair (or full replacement) jobs. In my case, I ended up with 2 fenders. A few people are getting the run-around but they should cover it.

Cjbunltd

TDI
Update, I contacted VW of America and was informed my '02 Jetta has a 12 year rust through warranty. I am getting it checked out at the dealer this week. I will let you know what they decide.

Cjbunltd

TDI
UPDATE: My Jetta is now sporting brand new fenders! The dealer I used did not have an in-house body shop. They used a body shop that contracts with them. That body shop insisted on replacing the fenders as opposed to sanding, filling, and painting. The dealer even allowed me the use of a nice loaner car while my car was in for the repair. Mind you my Jetta is an '02 with 210K miles. Very pleased with the quality of the work as well as the overall experience.