Feeler for this summer's Mid-Michigan GTG - July 27th

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Changed the springs out today so I can make it on Saturday. I have to say front springs are not my favorite maintenance item :-(

Passenger side was a pain in the butt because the spring was in compression against the strut tower. Had to crank down on the spring compressor to get enough free play to remove the strut, even with the subframe dropped.

I will need to replace a bunch of bolts at the GTG as I did not have replacements for the one-time bolts.

JP

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
YAY! 4 more work days for me.. looking forward to this. Been WAY too long since I have been up for one of these..

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
I'm excited to make this one, it feels a bit like the who's who in the TDI world will all be there!

I look forward to some guru advice (and maybe assistance) on my cross threaded glow plug, and what I need to do so my car is ready to tow safely.

J.P.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
JP. when talking about cross threaded glowplugs, Speak with Franko6 he is probably the most knowlegable about these things.

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Aaron, I have Frank06's write-up nearly memorized! I have the helicoil he recommends, and all the tools to attempt it. I think I need the moral support to tackle it. I'm concerned that the GP is not going to come out willingly, and I will end up in a situation where I can't drive the car.

Any advice on getting the GP out when it will turn with no noticeable progress? (Perhaps I should have said stripped threads instead of cross threads)

JP

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Sorry, I have zero experience dealing with broken or stripped Glowplugs. if the plug is broken and the hole is still sealed, I say leave it in there and live with the CEL.

unless you have another better reason to pull the head, I wouldn't mess with it.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
What time does this get going on Saturday?
From post #1 in this thread:

Saturday, July 27th

Start time is 9am and I want to start wrapping this up at 8pm.
Do not start on a project you can not finish by 9pm.
We will have eats and soft drinks and water.
You will be welcome to bring something that you like to share but please be prepared to take any leftovers with you.

Donations will be accepted joyfully and will be forwarded to the TDIclub website.

Marty
Hard to believe this GTG is almost upon us at long last! :)

legoleg

TDI
2002 Jetta
I caught this thread just in time :) I haven't been for a few years and should be able to make it for a bit in the morning :) Would someone be available to help me diagnose what's wrong with my AC? The fans work, but I don't have the right multi-meter to check for duty cycles and stuff. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Oleg

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I have zero experience dealing with broken or stripped Glowplugs. if the plug is broken and the hole is still sealed, I say leave it in there and live with the CEL. Unless you have another better reason to pull the head, I wouldn't mess with it.

You are probably right. I hate the CEL, but.....

I hoped to bring this down with me behind the Golf to the event.

(The trailer, not the Jimmy) as I built it to tow with the Golf, but my boost seems odd as I tow it. I want to get some expert opinions and a VCDS run on it before I tow a long way.

JP

MIWagon

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI- Automatic
>>> I need a mk4 driver front knuckle. <<<

Hey everyone, I hope to make it on Saturday, but my Jetta is on the lift for a front bearing replacement. The bearing bore is questionable, so I am looking for a drivers front knuckle. Anyone have one or know where I can find one? I am in Saginaw. It's for an early model year 2005 Jetta Wagon (mk4)
Thanks,
Steve
PS - Could also use some AC vents if anyone has them available.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sad to say I'm not going to make this one. Vacation schedules at IDParts, a cold that won't quit, and a trip to LA starting Monday AM makes fitting in a 2,000 mile drive in between now and Monday out of the question. I'll miss seeing everyone and Marty's last hurrah. And Parker will miss the geese. I hope to see many of you at the Fest!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Sad to say I'm not going to make this one. Vacation schedules at IDParts, a cold that won't quit, and a trip to LA starting Monday AM makes fitting in a 2,000 mile drive in between now and Monday out of the question. I'll miss seeing everyone and Marty's last hurrah. And Parker will miss the geese. I hope to see many of you at the Fest!
Thanks for trying, Peter.:(

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
Good Morning Everybody,
Would someone be interested in helping me set up a boost gauge. I don't have any experience in electronics/wiring.
Be safe on your trip IBW.
I'll be arriving early so I'll bring some bagels/donuts for the early risers. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning Everybody,
Would someone be interested in helping me set up a boost gauge. I don't have any experience in electronics/wiring.
Be safe on your trip IBW.
I'll be arriving early so I'll bring some bagels/donuts for the early risers. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
99.5GOlf, I have a boost / EGT gauge I need to install. It will come with me, and I am trying to gather the parts / tools necessary for installation. I am not a guru, but we can work together and get the expert advice we need from the guru's there.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Just checked in for my flight :)
Any last minute requests let me know and I can grab them tomorrow morning on my way out. Shipped filters and fluids per some requests and a TB kit, will have extra on the fluids and filters too.

See you all there!
-BB

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Hey Marty, do I need to bring empty jugs?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Ah shoot, empty jugs. I'll try to get some for my TB change

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Yes, I'll bring my BRM TB tools Bruce and yes, I'll bring empty jugs. Now to start packing.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Yea-yah! Packing up tools tonight too. Mark, are you driving down and staying in Shields?

You are welcome to drive down and stay at my place tonight if you were not planning to go to Shields.

Caravanning with Chris (CTTDI) tomorrow am out of the GR area - maybe Frugality will link up with us? How bout it Frug's?

twincharged91

TDI
2006 Volkswagen Jetta
Power

Hey everyone, I met someone last year at Marty's that had some great looking OEM replica wheels. He told me he bought them from Power Wheels Pro and the owner was super nice to work with. I contacted him about 2 months ago about a set of wheels and the ones I wanted were currently out of stock. The container arrived today at 4:00 and the owner will be coming to GTG tomorrow. I mentioned I wanted to start a group buy and he said we could work that out. Below is the website and if your interested in having him bring wheels to GTG, please feel free to give them a call and mention this post.

http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/index.php?cPath=24

TDI
Thanks for the invite Kirk! I'm just going to head down in the AM from here. Renters in Shields may not appreciate my dropping by for the night :eek: now where to get KKs on the way down??

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
I have heard of these gatherings, would like to check this out and observe some of the folks who have posted valuable info on this site.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Eric and I are here in the motel. Gonna pick up boraparts Aaron at the airport at 2200. See you all in the morning.

I have the BRM/BEW timing belt tools, hand tools, jackstands, drill, and whatever to install the skid plate and tdi heater.

I also grabbed an empty 5 gallon jug for general use, but I ain't taking that home to KY!!

Heck, I even brought a new TT shifter for my car if I start feeling froggy.

Last edited:

Krytie TV

TDI
2006 Jetta
I just realized today that this event was happening. Considering I live less than an hour away, I'm in! I look forward to meeting some other like-minded individuals. I'll be interested to explore the rocketchip possibilities and getting some advice on that issue. Either way, I'll be coming with enough dough to do it. I am new to the club and to the TDI, and have had my 2006 PD Jetta for about a month. I would love to have someone knowledgeable look it over to try to determine what might have already been done to it as I got it at 150k with absolutely no service records.

I'll also grab my floorjack and stands, just in case anyone might need it. Would there be any need for me to bring those damned 14 and 18 triplesquares that I spent so much time searching for?

If anyone is desperate for some rotors (MKV), I just pulled some off that look to still have a "turn" or two in em. And no, I don't expect people to clamor at that offer ;)

Last edited:
TDI
Heading out. Safe drives all and see ya in a few hours. Jeeze it's early! :p