Feeler: BD X-Monitor Gages GB

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
BD X-monitor has not made very good inroads in the tdi crowd, and there has been some interest, so here goes. Maybe this will get the ball rolling.

It is a digital gage package with boost and EGT in one, with peak hold and playback features.

THere is a universal mount, so it will fit right on the steering column.

Here is the link in the BDPOWER website: X-Monitor description page

NOrmal price is $450, group buy price will be 325 if we can get minimum order of 10 units. Price will be $250 if we can get 25 units.

That's about the cost of just the EGT and boost gages, and X-monitor has peak hold, playback, and alarm functions.

We will try running the GB at first through Labor Day weekend, maybe longer if there seems to be enough interest.

This is a feeler, if there are 10 interested parties, then I will post an order link here.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Looks like the standard one comes with tranny temp, boost, and pyro displayed. If we don't care about the trans temp, could the group buyers mix up the options?

Looks like a 'remote temp' option is offered instead of the trans. temp for universal application....I'm assuming this could be used for oil or fuel temp or what have you...

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Way it was explained to me, it would be a universal unit with pyro and boost only.

Additional temp is an add-on option, I think oil temp is next best one to have.

arrowman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex Silver
I agree, for some reason this has not impressed many TDI owners. I've had one or two, here or there, but for the most part, everyone seems to like taking lots of space to install three analog gauges.

I wouldn't live without my X-Monitor (Mine is the previous generation....they changed a little bit of how it works with the temp addon options). The max-value is great for monitoring oil, EGT, and boost, and would be of great use to a modded car. Best of all...it's unique, and it takes only a little room on my dashboard. See here: My X-Monitor

I think my three-gauge X-Monitor was on sale for $450 back in Oct '03. Unless they changed the pricing structure, $450 list price for this one probably doesn't include oil temp.

ftrr

TDI
05 Passat Wagon Reflex Silver
Does anyone know if this unit can be installed in the space above the double din radio in an 03 Jetta? I would also be interested in the temp guage for a WVO conversion.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
I wouldn't live without my X-Monitor (Mine is the previous generation....they changed a little bit of how it works with the temp addon options).
Arrowman, could you give more details on your installation? Where did you tap for the boost and pyro readings, and how did you get an oil temp sender that worked?

Also, I am interested in the GB, and would be willing to pay more for a complete ready-to-install kit specifically for the TDI.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
I'm interested at the $250 level, or perhaps closer to $300.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Additional temp function will be an extra-cost option.

Of course everyone is interested at the lower price, but it won't happen unless there's enough interest.

arrowman

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's some details about my install.

1. The boost tap was put in the upper intercooler pipe. Logical place.

2. The EGT probe was put in a welded-on bung right after the turbo on the downpipe. I know I will get blasted for that, but it tells me enough. Some day...when I feel like actually pulling the entire turbo/manifold, I'll drill and tap there, and put the EGT probe pre-turbo.

3. I looked into getting a bung welded onto the oil pan for the oil temp, and then decided that was more hassle than it was worth. So, after placing a few calls, we determined that BD-power uses high-resolution temp senders made by ISS-Pro. Called ISS-Pro and said I need 14x1.5 temp sending plug with the same specs as the included oil temp plug. Removed the drain plug and put in the new one. Works like a charm. The only thing people don't like about temp senders in the drain hole is the lack of threads in the aluminum and the sender, and the ability to strip the hole if it's constantly taken in and out. I do top-side oil changes anyways, so that plug never has to come out. It was worth the 20 bucks to get a new sender, compared to the time and cost for pulling the pan and welding a bung to it.

The control module is tied up nicely under the driver's side dash area, and a small phone cord runs up to the display. The display is held to the dash using some pretty strong double stick tape.

The display has no lag, and may most likely respond faster than an analog gauge. It's easy to look at, and it does not require any "interpreting" as does an analog gauge. If it says 12.1 psi, it is 12.1 psi. That's visible at an extremely quick glance.

All in all the gauge is extremely high-quality in what it reports. Price compared to three high-quality analog gauges and the mounting hassle is probably just as high as the cost for an X-Monitor.

But as I've said in the past...many are not thrilled with the gauge for some reason. Maybe because it lacks the race-car look. It might be the price. I'm not really sure. But the functionality and small package are certainly way above anything else I've ever seen.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Does anyone know if this unit can be installed in the space above the double din radio in an 03 Jetta? I would also be interested in the temp guage for a WVO conversion.
Bet it would be pretty easy to do, and about the slickest install I could think of....get rid of that crappy cupholder

WVO temp, what an interesting idea for the 3rd display...I've been thinking about WVO for a while and have been adding a lot of canola to my tank to amuse myself...

arrowman

Veteran Member
TDI
Regarding the mounting of this unit in the strip above the radio:

The circuit board inside of this is bigger than the display itself. I had thought about this briefly, but it would just be too big.

The universal "hood" can pretty much go on the dash or on the steering column. Anything else would be custom I think.

NoPlugz

TDI
GLI Wagon, 2003, Silver
Sign me up @ $250.00.
I'll deal with the wife later.....

Mike

$325 with oil temp would work too......
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......she's on the phone........

Dunhamjr

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now
I would be interested at the $250 mark and a maybe at the $325 mark.
I would however like to get the Oil Temp option if possible.

Creede

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI Black on Beige
You can count me in on the $250 or $325 GB. Kerma you may have to help me get it all going though (I'm in SLC). This may just be being picky, but what color is the display? On their website it looks blue, on the video's its green. It would be nice if they matched the VW blue. It sound like it will be custom anyway, maybe they can swing it for not much more. The more stealth looking the better as far as I'm concerned.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I am interested too. The lower price would be sweet!

Perhaps by labor day there will be 25 people interested and the $250 price would certainly make us all happy. Putting a notice on the Vortex site would likely get 25 serious participants. But Kerma would have to deal with that mentality.
Didn't the $450 price include 3 read outs?(egt,boost,tranny temp) Depending on the price of the adding the temp to the egt&boost that we are offered, the $325 price might not be that good of deal. I am with the crowd that thinks oil temp is important. I found a site that offered the 3 read outs for $425.

For many the biggest problem isn't deciding to buy the insturments but installing them. We need someone to come up with an easy egt probe install idea that doesn't include pulling the exhaust manafold.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
We need someone to come up with an easy egt probe install idea that doesn't include pulling the exhaust manafold.
In a recent thread that new guy "nascar" says he has installed many EGT probe pre turbo without removing the exahaust manifold or turbo by using thick grease on the drill bit and tap so no chips fall into the manifold, seems good, but still potentially risky IMO, mabye do some test holes and tap them in a piece of 3/16" steel
to see if/ how many chips fall out the back side using this technique. I think that the thick grease would work well to trap metal shards off of the tap, but the drilling is where I see potentiall issues...

-Jack

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I remember reading his grease trick and believe it would work. However I recall taking a quick look at the clearences around the manifold and thinking even if there was some slick small drill that would fit, how would one deal with tapping the hole in such a confind space which, if screwed up, would leave a hole in the exhaust manafold that would need to be delt with.

Haven't looked from underneath to see if there is enough working space to consider an inplace egt install either on the manafold or turbo. Probably in the long run it would be less troublesom to remove the manafold. For those who were doing an intake cleaning. Absence of the intake manafold might allow access to the exhaust manafold.

sciroccohp

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, black with grey leather
I would not have tried it in the car, I could barely get my hands it but it was super easy when it was out of the car.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
At $250, I'm in. At $3xx, I'll strongly consider it. Oil temp would be nice but won't deter me... Put me on the list and we'll see where the chips fall... [choking wallet noise heard in background]

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
I have oil temperature with my MFA...

It's possible to get oil pressure on that display?

I've seen it on Nascar's website I believe.

Arrowman, how big this thing is?

Could you put something near it and take a pic?

Or measure it?

Jerod521

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I am also interested in this. I have curtain airbags and have wanted a pyro and boost sensor but didn't know how to mount both on my steering column.
This is Perfect

$250 or $325 is ok

arrowman

Veteran Member
TDI
Rammstein,

I'll work on that pic later today. It's not big at all, but I'll find a good way to compare it to something.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Just back from a short vacation- no tdiclub or cellphone or ANYTHING for the last 4 days- Jonesin'.

I'll look at the questions and try to get back before too long.

Another thing I've thought of... maybe if this thing flies and there are a lot of takers in Canada, someone can be the "Canadian GB Coordinator" to save shipping over the border twice. Anyone?

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Yes to the $250 crowd...

This is exactly what I was looking for, found, and didn't want to pay $450 for..

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Everyone says "$250 crowd" so tell your friends, there are not enough yet for that price point.