Feeler: 2003 Silver Jetta GLS ALH, 162K miles, great shape in West Michigan

InfoSec

Veteran Member
2003 Silver Jetta GLS ALH, 162K miles, great shape in West Michigan, $6500

Sold!!!

No longer a feeler: I've decided to sell my '03 Jetta ALH. I've had it since about March of 2015. Traded my 335d to a dealer for it. The Jetta had 96K on it when I bought it. Liberty Ford paid me waaaay too much for my 335d so I couldn't pass it up nor could I make it out of the subdivision in Grand Rapids when it snowed with the d. In hindsight, I should have kept it, but anyhoo...

The Jetta had the 01M, donated that to the scrap heap. I had local TDI guru RS90Kirk do full maintenance on it at the time (and he as taken care of it since then).

Kirk did not do the upgrades, but has kept it running since.

Asking price: $6500. No trades, I have all of the guns that I need. Thanks!
Youtube: https://youtu.be/we1m9AuvY_0

The good:
1.) 02M 6-spd with new vw syncos, fluid changed 2x since installed only because the o-ring was leaking.
2.) SB endurance stage 3 clutch relined by SB to hold 450tq
3.) GTB1756vk converted to vacuum actuator from RyanP
4.) EGR/Cooler delete, race pipe installed
5.) Large SMIC with custom Whitbread piping top and bottom.
6.) Bosio Race520's balanced and pop-tested
7.) Malone Stage 5 custom tunes (smoky and non-smoky), I also have the Flashzilla loader.
8.) PD Lift pump
9.) TB done at 98K, good for another 35K+ miles.
10.) Newer (about 4-5K miles on them) Michelin Defender tires
11.) Mahle Platinum brakes/rotors w/ about 70% life left.
11.) Koni Orange shocks/struts all the way around at 100K.
12.) Rebuilt alternator a few weeks ago.
13.) Both A/C fans work, as does the A/C, new coil installed last year.
14.) Cloth interior, no rips or tears, not new, but not bad, either.
15.) Panzer skid plate and side skirts (best way to look for oil leaks which it doesn't have).
16.) New glow plugs last winter.
17.) New Interstate battery about a month ago when the alternator was rebuilt.
18.) Alignment done each spring at local Firestone dealer.
19.) Other sensors and such replaced as needed.
20.) All systems work fine, power everything works as they should.
21.) Estimated to put down around 200hp/370tq (never been dyno'd).
22.) Buzzken 2-1/2" cat-back exhaust with resonator and turn-down before bumper
23.) Whitbread downpipe off the turbo (attached to a Passat manifold).
24.) All parts for turbo and transmission (except for clutch and syncros) came from RyanP at Darkside Developments.
25.) All non-routine work was done by Matt Whitbread.
26.) Mud flaps all the way around.
27.) Monsoon stock stereo, power locks/windows, moonroof, all work without issue.
28.) Wavetrack LSD, too... great in the snow with the O2M

Everything works flawlessly, nothing looks modded from the outside, which is what I wanted. Old man sleeper... I routinely get over 48mpg hwy, and in mixed driving, I easily get over 45mpg.

Recently had some rust repaired on both front fenders. They were tackled before they needed replacing. There are a couple of small stone chips on the hood that need to be fixed (about 5-6 mm across).

I can't think of anything else. It seems the prices are all over the place, but I don't need to sell it, but now would be the time to sell it since it looks better than the day I bought it.

I'll try to add some pics later when I'm home.

Regards,
Mike in Belmont (outside of GR).

Ps: The car will be at Kirk's GTG again this year, if I keep it that long.

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Changed the oil every 5K miles with Liqui Moly synthetic 5w-40. Air filters replaced in spring and fall. New headlight assemblies last fall. No foggy lenses anymore. 2 remote key fobs, both work. Sheesh... I can't think of anything else for real at the moment.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
So, please bear with me, but if I were to sell this car, where should I be? I've been on this site for a while, but I haven't been watching the sale prices for the last 3-4 years. So I wouldn't know where to begin... Something tells me slightly north of $6k, but I honestly don't know where to begin.... I don't think I want to go through the song/dance of placing it on CL and having 85 people contact me telling me they can sell it for me.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You need photos posted. Depending on paint condition and any rust, it could sell quickly, but $6K is a bit high. Many people don't pay up for mods. It's a 16 year old car, too.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
You need photos posted. Depending on paint condition and any rust, it could sell quickly, but $6K is a bit high. Many people don't pay up for mods. It's a 16 year old car, too.
Yep. I'll get some photos up tonight. Some people pay for mods, some don't. We'll see. No rust except for those two small stone chips.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Beautiful car with very nice mods that keep it manageable for a daily driver. Out of all the cars I work on, this is my favorite car to drive. Power delivery is very linear and strong from low rpms all the way up. Good luck with your sale Mike, if I was in the market for a nicely modded ALH, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Kirk

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Beautiful car with very nice mods that keep it manageable for a daily driver. Out of all the cars I work on, this is my favorite car to drive. Power delivery is very linear and strong from low rpms all the way up. Good luck with your sale Mike, if I was in the market for a nicely modded ALH, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Kirk
Thanks, Kirk. Your comments are much appreciated. Time will tell to see if it stays in the family or not.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Took a while to add these photos. I can send more, if needed. Hopefully, this gives someone an idea of what I have. I should probably take a video of the car running down the road ripping through the gears so you'd get an idea of how quick this thing is. I also need to take some pics of the engine bay and inside.

Last edited:

Recian

TDI
Looking to buy
I honestly don't think the price is too bad given the work done making it need nothing and the fact it's been swapped to 6spd is intriguing. I'm in the market for a tdi around that price range but I'm in NC so MI is out of my range. :( I also prefer wagons in mkIV body

InfoSec

Veteran Member
We sold a very similar one a month ago that was in slightly better cosmetic condition with less miles for 5k.
That's unfortunate. I doubt it was as mechanically as sound and as good looking as mine.

5K was way too low. You should have held out for more.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If that’s the worst thing I get called, I’m fine with that. Just sold the car.
$6400. I’m happy with that.
Congrats, that's a good price for buyer and seller. Is the new owner a member here?

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Congrats, that's a good price for buyer and seller. Is the new owner a member here?

Josh, I’m not too... I know he found the car on the website.

I told him all about the website and all the benefits. I think he will come down to Kirk’s GTG.

Mike

InfoSec

Veteran Member

Josh, I’m not too sure... I know he found the car on the website.

I told him all about the website and all the benefits. I think he will come down to Kirk’s GTG.

Mike