Feeler: 2002 Golf 4Dr, seized engine, in Maryland

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Jetta TDI's, 2000 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat TDI
Another update: STILL waiting for the title from the MVA. I've received a number of offers via site message and email, which I appreciate. In order to be fair to everyone I'm not going to shop anyone's offer; once I get the title in hand I'll ask everyone for their best and final offer and take whichever one works best. I won't take a lowball, but I'm also not going to play 2 offers against each other either.
Fairness based on principle, not merely dollars: a decidedly rare quality in today's greedy, overly capitalistic, me-me-me society. GLWS ;) .

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Fairness based on principle, not merely dollars: a decidedly rare quality in today's greedy, overly capitalistic, me-me-me society. GLWS ;) .
TDIclub members have been good to me for many years; the least I can do is pass it along.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Woohoo, got the title! It shows a lien for the original loan, which was paid off over 5 years ago. The bank is sending me a hard copy of the notarized lien release, and I have an electronic copy already. Per the MVA that's all that's needed, but if a potential buyer has a problem with it we can work on getting a clean title before the sale.

So, anyone who has made an offer via text or email, if you are still interested, let me know and give me your best and final. (I'll also try to contact you directly, but I lost track of some, so if I don't contact you it doesn't mean I'm rejecting an offer. If anyone would like to make an offer, please do so ONLY via site message or email. I'm not going to discuss offers or negotiate here in the thread. I'd like to get this done by EOB tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
I apologize for the late status update. The car is sold pending funds. Thanks to everyone for the offers and advice. If something falls through, I will update everyone.

TDIDMV

TDI
none
Whoever bought this car, good luck. I live literally 5 miles away from the seller, and he adamantly refused to allow anybody to come and see the car. He clearly explained that he would only show the car to whoever offered him the most amount of money when they came to pick it up. I can only think of one reason why a seller would act this way.

I don't know what form of capitalism you're accustomed to, but in the one i'm familiar with, a blind auction is not honest business, but rather greedy and poor etiquette. It juices up the price the seller receives over all other forms of selling the car. If everybody can only make one bid and is clueless as to what the others are bidding, than instead of making a bid based on the fair value, everyone will offer above and beyond their max price to raise their chances of winning with their one and only shot.

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
Whoever bought this car, good luck. I live literally 5 miles away from the seller, and he adamantly refused to allow anybody to come and see the car. He clearly explained that he would only show the car to whoever offered him the most amount of money when they came to pick it up. I can only think of one reason why a seller would act this way.
I don't know what form of capitalism you're accustomed to, but in the one i'm familiar with, a blind auction is not honest business, but rather greedy and poor etiquette. It juices up the price the seller receives over all other forms of selling the car. If everybody can only make one bid and is clueless as to what the others are bidding, than instead of making a bid based on the fair value, everyone will offer above and beyond their max price to raise their chances of winning with their one and only shot.
Ummmm, yeah...how could I have known he was doing any of that considering that I never contacted him due to the fact that I am not local? Rhetorical question. I read only what was written in this thread.

Last edited:

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh...and where, in this thread, has he "clearly explained that he would only show the car to whoever offered him the most amount of money when they came to pick it up."?

This is what I read and this is what I was going on:

Another update: STILL waiting for the title from the MVA. I've received a number of offers via site message and email, which I appreciate. In order to be fair to everyone I'm not going to shop anyone's offer; once I get the title in hand I'll ask everyone for their best and final offer and take whichever one works best. I won't take a lowball, but I'm also not going to play 2 offers against each other either.

Last edited:

TDIDMV

TDI
none
He didn't explain in the thread, but if you had asked him to see it, he would have sent you something like this:
R2point0 said:
That being said, whoever buys the car is obviously going to see it before money changes hands; I'm not going to be taking any offers where I need to ship it. You are welcome to make an offer based on what you know already, and if when you see it the car is substantially different than I've described it we can go from there.
Fine with me, but I just feel bad for the guy coming from Alabama with a trailer. Hope the transmission shifts into gear and the car isnt rusted out underneath

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIDMV requested to see the car after I had set the deadline, effectively requesting preferential treatment over other interested parties. Since I had already asked for everyone's Best and Final offer, and did not want to takea day off, I declined. I stated that the car was being sold on the basis of the photos and the written description; if the purchaser, upon examining the car when picking it up, found the condition to be substantively different than represented, there would obviously need to be a discussion/negotiation. I regret that TDIDMV believes he was treated unfairly; If he wishes to lodge some form of complaint he is welcome to do so - I am confident my actions will withstand scrutiny.

TDIDMV

TDI
none
After being told that I, along with anybody else, would not be able to see the car, I offered him $1000:
TDIDMV said:
R2point0 said:
I don't expect or want you to make anybody wait. If someone offers you $5k while i'm inspecting the car, you can tell me to get lost, no hard feelings. But thats harder to do with someone coming with a trailer from Rhode Island.
All I ask is please keep me in the loop. Unlike a lot of others messaging you, I am extremely local, so if someone serious makes a higher bid, I might be willing to go higher depending, on what I think when I see the car.
Thanks
Never heard back. I don't think that I alone was treated unfairly, but I do think this is a poor way of conducting business.
I have never met a seller who told me I could not see a car. If you were a young and socially awkward, I might understand the dilemma of meeting people to see the car. But you sound like a grown middle-aged man, who surely sold things, or whose father sold things, before the advent of the internet, when all business was conducting face to face.

Good day to you sir *british accent*

TDIDMV

TDI
none
And I said before, nobody could see the car:

R2point0 said:
That being said, whoever buys the car is obviously going to see it before money changes hands; I'm not going to be taking any offers where I need to ship it. You are welcome to make an offer based on what you know already, and if when you see it the car is substantially different than I've described it we can go from there.
Good day.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Just thought I'd throw this out there...for those of you who said you were interested but aren't local, would it make a difference if you could get 2 of these TDIs with seized engines? I'm in Arlington, VA (not too far from the Golf) and my 2005 Jetta TDI GLS wagon just seized on me yesterday : (. Don't know if there's an economy of scale for towing 2 cars at once. My engine seize was cause by a crack/hole in the engine block (I'm told). Figured it was worth a shot!
You probably want to start a new thread for your car.