Favorite Oil for 2009 CBEA?

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
dzcad90 said:
........ Why search high and low for a substitute oil when the proper thing can be had at your local dealer. (And I'm normally not a big "shop at the dealer" guy..)
Me neither. Unfortunately, with this car we have very few cost effective choices.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Turbine..there is an emissions forum exactly for this topic..Emissions topics..

The EGR valve goes back to 90's on
these diesels..Emissions related..
through DPF and Deox equipment..on the CRD's..ALL emission equipement and there is a seperate forum for those topics..No need for a seperate forum because of the emissions, try another reason.

There is quite a few people running non 507 oil already in the CRD, even those who dont have a choice-because the dealer installed the wrong oil..read about these?

The only difference is if the engine burns oil then you dont want to run other oil because it will coat the cat(because of the Zinc)..REDUCING the effecientcy of the cat..How will people be able to tell if the cat has been reduced? You have to understand what effects what when you stray for the manufacturer's recomended maint.

We went through this with the BRM's and 505.01 oil and now we will go through it with the 507.01 oil in the CRD's..

I know..I know..just wait until the CRD's go through the warantee period and we start getting some valid OA's back and people will stray from 507 oil..mark my words..Its coming--if not already here..

But to not mislead anyone you want to use 507.00 in the 09 CRD.

Last edited:

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Mach1 said:
..No need for a seperate forum because of the emissions, try another reason.

I am beating a dead horse here, no problem - it was just my suggestion for a separate forum.
But to respond to your "find another reason" : It had nothing to do with emissions, it had to do with someone getting perhaps improper advice on an oil selection with the CR engine. I remember reading somewhere; no link now, where VW stated one oil change with the wrong oil may cut DPF life in half. At around 4K for a new one, and no warranty support (You used the wrong oil, we can tell by our analysis!), that could be a very expensive mistake.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Turbine Suburban said:
I am beating a dead horse here, no problem - it was just my suggestion for a separate forum.
But to respond to your "find another reason" : It had nothing to do with emissions, it had to do with someone getting perhaps improper advice on an oil selection with the CR engine. I remember reading somewhere; no link now, where VW stated one oil change with the wrong oil may cut DPF life in half. At around 4K for a new one, and no warranty support (You used the wrong oil, we can tell by our analysis!), that could be a very expensive mistake.
Every 09 owner that ignores the oil label that tells them the correct oil to use deserves to buy a new emissions system.

Mach1

TDI
I believe the oxidation catalytic converter material is more in danger of damage then the DPF..From the zn in the exhaust residue if the engine is burning oil..

But then misinformation is a minor technicality.

I still stand by my original words that there will be better suited oils showing up that are not 507.00 approved, and people will use them..I will..

The topic was..which favorite oil for the 2009..

Not which compliant oil..

It has happened before and it will happen again..TDT/S9000..baby..

Now for the disclaimer..

If you run a 2009 CRD and you want to be compliant with waranty needs any 507.00 compliant oil will be just fine..probably which ever one you can find and purchase easily..USE OA TO DETERMINE WHICH OIL BEST SUITS your needs...

What do I know?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
velociT said:
Every 09 owner that ignores the oil label that tells them the correct oil to use deserves to buy a new emissions system.
And what to do of dealerships who, in their ignorance, have an untrained service guy who puts in 505 oil? Or the more common mistake, overfills the oil in doing the change? Shoule wd write to VWOA and point our finger? We're sure to get **** service after that episode!:eek:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Mike in Anchorage said:
And what to do of dealerships who, in their ignorance, have an untrained service guy who puts in 505 oil? Or the more common mistake, overfills the oil in doing the change? Shoule wd write to VWOA and point our finger? We're sure to get **** service after that episode!:eek:
Then the dealer is liable to replace any failing emissions systems in the 09's they screwed up.

I'm guessing they'd also be looking for a new service manager.

Mach1

TDI
My point exactly..I would probably GUESS that 50% of the CRDs have had the wrong oil in them/wrong level..

The 507 is emission oil only..It will only damage the Ox-cat if it is burned..No-biggie..

If the oil seals are not blown by the oil level..then I would say no big deal again..

I can say this..that there are tens of oils that are better for your CRD then 507...wait until the OA's start rolling in...wait until miles start loading up on them...

Disclaimer..always use 507 oil in your 09 CRD..and fill to the proper level..

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Mach1 said:
...I can say this..that there are tens of oils that are better for your CRD then 507...
where do you get this stuff from :confused:

biochemosu

TDI
Jetta TDI 2009
I also just found the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 at my local pep boys for $6.99/liter. I just got by 09 jetta 2 weeks ago and I wanted to pick up an extra liter in case I needed to add any before my first 10k oil change. They didn't have any 4L though, only 1L.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 PGM Jetta TDI Premium DSG
I do love those that feel a non 507 oil will cause instant issues. While I'll probably stick with a 507 for the warranty period, I know there are better, compatible, non 507 oils out there. Amsoil and D1 ESP come to mind.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
BTL said:
What is the majority opinion on the favorite oil? Castrol/VW, Total, Mobil ESP?

Just curious. Picked up an extra quart of VW branded at the dealer today, but am on the fence on what to order when it's time to change.

I get the feeling Castrol is not in favor here, but would like to hear opinions!

Thanks.
Well certainly you will not go wrong with any VW 507.00.

However if it were me, I would do
1. Total QUARTZ INEO (formally aka ELF) 507.00 5w30. (I have 18 L's 4 complete oil changes and spares before I run out)
2. Mobil One ESP 5w30 VW 507.00. (very narrow availability and one pays 2x for shipping)

If I had to chose a NON VW 507.00 and OFF warranty, (keep in mind the warranty is even more meager than before @ 3 years/36,000 miles <from 4 years 50,000 miles>)

3. Mobil One 229.51 MB 5w40

There are a few reasons.
1. it seems the 5w40 viscosity is still the so called "BEST" for camshaft lubrication.
2. #3 is also compliant with the low saps for the new DPF.
3. Mobil One usually tests real well for our TDI's
4. You can usually go to Dodge dealers and negogiate for at least a preferred customer discount.
5. it is cheaper to start with
6. for me the most important, research indicates #3 will probably effect app 40% less wear. One disadvantage is the higher viscosity 5w40 will probably exact a 1 mpg hit.
7. Past history. I have been running Delvac One 5w40, aka Mobil One TDT, Truck and SUV etc) for 115k of 120k miles. As most folks know this has "NEVER been a VW specified oil. It runs like the proverbial top.

Last edited:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
ruking said:
3. Mobil One 229.51 MB 5w40

There are a few reasons.
1. it seems the 5w40 viscosity is still the so called "BEST" for camshaft lubrication.
There is no camshaft wear problems for engines using roller-style cam rollers.

I think that there's no real need to do a rocket science here and invent some wrong oil usage theories when they are not neccesary. Look at the European market: here we have lots of (VW) diesels which run long-life oils (such as 507.00) for extended drain intervals from early 507.00 appearance in the market.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
jerry_m said:
There is no camshaft wear problems for engines using roller-style cam rollers.

I think that there's no real need to do a rocket science here and invent some wrong oil usage theories when they are not neccesary. Look at the European market: here we have lots of (VW) diesels which run long-life oils (such as 507.00) for extended drain intervals from early 507.00 appearance in the market.
Or so you say. For this side of the pond, we have precious few 09 Jetta TDI cars with over say 100,000 miles. Indeed the 50 state legal DPF was made special in the states to comply with the US market regulations and NOT the time tested ones from...Europe.

Another example is I have 120,000 miles on the Delvac One 5w40, NON VW specified oil. (03 Jetta TDI as stated before) At the time, (we those that used Delvac One 5w40) were all so called on our own. There were even less VW specified oils at that time.

The real issues, there are not near "cross the pond" products in the US as there is in the UK or even Europe for that matter. So for example, we have what maybe 5 or so products here in the US and you have what 50-100? Indeed rocket science it is CLEARLY NOT !! Plus there are a lot of other issues that affect you that would not affect us and vice versa. An easy one might be so called "extended" OCI. In Europe that is 30,000 miles. We hyper ventilate and have endless discussions if 10,000 miles OCI's can be trusted and if the engine is going to blow up at 10,001 miles. We can go on, but I am only addressing the US market. I trust what you are saying is true in the European market.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
I believe the OCI in europe is 30000KM's...

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Mach1 said:
I believe the OCI in europe is 30000KM's...
I believe it's miles. In fact, the OCI is not defined. The interval is said to be 'up to xxx miles'. We have here 'flexible' service intervals and car shows us when to change oil. From practice (not my owm) people get the 'service now' at about 23k-27k miles.

dsieme01

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta Sedan
I think the 507.00 specis pretty specific that the difference between vendor A and vendor X oils are pretty much user preference. Eg Use a 507.00 oil and pick the brand that either makes you feel good or thats the least expensive or most expensive. Its your choice. I just would make sure its a 507 oil.

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
ruking said:
If I had to chose a NON VW 507.00 and OFF warranty, (keep in mind the warranty is even more meager than before @ 3 years/36,000 miles <from 4 years 50,000 miles>)
Not correct; warranty for 2009's is 5 years/60K miles on engine and drive train.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dr61 said:
Not correct; warranty for 2009's is 5 years/60K miles on engine and drive train.
So you are saying the VW warranty is NOT 3 years or 36,000 miles as it states on pg 3, USA Warranty & Maintenance ..."The New Vehicle Limited Warranty Period is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first."... ???

There is also a Federal Emissions Warranty 8 years or 80,000 miles. Then the CA emissions warranty up to 15 years or 150,000 miles. Then a CA Emissions Warranty of 3 years or 50,000 miles. Then a 7 years or 70,000 miles. I am of course leaving out 49 other state specific warranty's and other boiler plate items. And your comment alters my points how?

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dsieme01 said:
Bumper to bumper warranty is 3 /36 Drivetrain is 5/60.
Then thanks for the answer, your repetition (comments) don't alter the points at all.

Last edited:

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10w30 in both of my 09's starting with the next OC. I let the stealership do the first 2 changes on them both. Here on they get done in my shop. I have that oil in bulk now and it's all that I'll put in the trucks we work on. It's specific for DPF equipped engines..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Rod Bearing, I certainly hope you're not putting Delvac 1300 Super in your new car. It's the WRONG OIL. It's not even anywhere close to the correct oil. At the very least, use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck synthetic 5w40.