Favorite back roads, specifically gravel roads.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Outside of Stanardsville, VA there's a scenic stretch of road called Turkey Ridge where you can actually see out pretty good, be sure to take your time. There's a naturally aspirated VW diesel enthusiast that lives in the neighborhood . I have not seen him recently but it is cool to see old be diesels in the wild. Feel free to tell me about your back roads even if they are covered with tar.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Nothing like travel by gravel

Reactions: Ton

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Yeah, I so want to go back to Newfoundland, and I recently found out the Targa Newfoundland is still run each fall.
Might that event become my possible 'fest substitute?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Trans-Labrador Highway in 2013, but it's fully paved now.

Below is a view of 389 in Quebec leading to the PQ-NL border and the start of the TLH.
Apparently much of 389 is also paved now.
I REALLY want to see that end of the country, I’ve been all the way west but never made it further east than Winnipeg. Talking to a lot of Newfoundlanders at work makes me want to go there even more!

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I too have never been on 'the rock' but hear a lot of beautiful things about it. It's no wonder why many Europeans travel to Newfoundland every year and drive around the entire province, sight seeing with an RV.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
One of my favorites, Does it have to be gravel?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was a pipeline through a swamp in Lake Co, it got worse. Then the guy behind me got stuck. Sun was setting and mosquitoes were rising by the time we got out
This one was once powerline trail that ran kinda straight through 3 counties if you could get across streams and swamps, one of a few stretches that remain somewhat fun.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
That was a pipeline through a swamp in Lake Co, it got worse. Then the guy behind me got stuck. Sun was setting and mosquitoes were rising by the time we got out
This one was once powerline trail that ran kinda straight through 3 counties if you could get across streams and swamps, one of a few stretches that remain somewhat fun.
Looks like a fun place to take the bikes and four wheelers!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The picture with K5 is from the early 90's, I doubt there is access to there anymore. A lot of land has been sold off and closed up to the public in this state. Even a lot of two track roads have been cleared, ditched, and at least widened, graded, and graveled, if not paved. Some of our highways are rough though:D. I always preferred the other way around, harder the access the less people and more nature. But tourism is a big thing to our government. I shouldn't complain, I've been beating the backroads and trails since the '70's.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a pic of the truck at the next hill back. three power poles back is a swamp. I barely made it by the edge of it, didn't really want to go back out that way. This hill was steep and had some deep ruts visible in two of three passes, so I walked the third. Turned out it had no real bad ruts, just a slightly compound grade. If I didn't make it i wasn't getting out. Someone had come this far from the north and decided to turn around. It was nice of them to make the ruts visible. Tons of fun, should've had video going.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/data/xfm...596e87c75cdea6707b14c0a0eea1ef.jpg?1675170178