Fault: AdBlue

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Having "fixed" TDIs is proving to be something else. My Touareg on a drive Christmas day went into limp mode about 35 miles into a trip. We turned home and switched to the Passat for the day. I later took it into the local VW dealership and they replaced a NoX sensor, which looking through the VCDS logs it could have been Bank 1 sensor 1.

Not long after I drove the 2011 Touareg down to a port for shipment to Alaska. On the way I got a big warning message "Fault: AdBlue Engine will not start in 200 miles." The resulting codes were "9954 - NOx Reductant Consumption too Low P20F4 00 [174]" and "9953 - Reductant Quality Performance P207F 00 [175]." I cleared them and kept driving, another 30 miles or so to the port. Dropped off and away I went.

Fast forward a few weeks and I'm in Alaska with the Touareg and the message pops up again, this time with the same P20F4 and P207F, along with "31036 - NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1 P22A1 00 [096]" and "9690 - Sensor for NOx (G295) P1032 00 [237]." I cleared them and immediately P20F4 and P207F came back, along with a continuing countdown of miles until I could not start.

Today I drove to the VW dealership in Anchorage and they have diagnosed it needs a new NoX sensor, or sensors. They are on order and I may have it back by the end of the week. Once I know more I'll update.

What is more fun is the Passat in SC is throwing a code for a NoX sensor as well. VW of South Charlotte say they have those in stock for the Passat.

buguyed

TDI
2016 Touareg
Potentially not related but I kept getting P0229 which is faulty NOX sensor, like you had. Dealer kept replacing them and nothing was working. They had the car over a month and a half and finally realized the DPF pressure sensor was faulty. It was sending bad information to or from the NOX sensor or something. Was causing the car to use a ton of AdBlue and bad mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Doesn't take long before you see why deletes are so popular. Sad that they cannot seem to make this stuff as reliable as it should be.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't take long before you see why deletes are so popular. Sad that they cannot seem to make this stuff as reliable as it should be.
Agreed. I do like what the system is supposed to do, make the exhaust cleaner. It would seem though things could hold up better. In other news I got a loaner today, an Audi SQ5. The dealership said it was paid for by the warranty. Glad I have that.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
The manufacturers didn't have enough time to properly research and develop the use of DEF as a NOx reducing 'feature'. They really needed several more years and a lot of research on the various modules and pieces and parts and how they work together and last (or not).
The regulations were such that they just didn't have the time.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Nice loaner. Have fun with it. A bad sensor isn't so unusual, I'm thinking, but it sux to have such an effect.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The manufacturers didn't have enough time to properly research and develop the use of DEF as a NOx reducing 'feature'. They really needed several more years and a lot of research on the various modules and pieces and parts and how they work together and last (or not).
The regulations were such that they just didn't have the time.
That's exactly right. The standards ramped up FAR too much too fast, and the technology didn't get a chance to mature. And sadly, VAG's butt hurt attitude of "well I'm gonna take my ball and go home" has left us with no diesels at all. I bet by now the current tech has improved immensely, and of course does meet the standards under ALL operational conditions with no subterfuge in operation and testing.

Other industries are dealing with this too, only they do not have a lesser efficient [gasoline] technology to fall back on, as train locomotives cannot begin to carry enough fuel with them that it would take to power them with gasoline. Same for big agricultural equipment, earth moving and construction equipment, etc. We see it creeping into smaller local trucks, though. Lots of step vans have been sporting 8 MPG gasoline V8s now, because the 15 MPG diesels got too expensive and too fragile, despite the obvious superiority in fuel consumption. GM released a new 6.6L gas monster a couple years ago, and Ford did the 'hold my beer' thing, and came out with a 7.3L gas behemoth. :rolleyes:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I meant to get a picture of the loaner, but forgot. Oh well. I got the call this afternoon that my vehicle was ready, so away I went. They had to replace both NoX sensors (there are only two, right?) and it says they drained and refilled the AdBlue. I'm glad to have it back too, it doesn't slide around on the ice nearly as much as the SQ5 did. All covered under warranty, not bad for a 9 year old VW.

Nelsonk93

TDI
Touareg
Do you use VW specific DEF? I had the same P20F4 and P207F codes come up but the dealer is telling me it wont be covered by the warranty because I used non VW DEF. Any suggestions?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Sue them since they cannot require you to use only their products to service your car.
The Magunson-Moss act signed into law by President Gerald Ford on January 4, 1975.
They have specifications that must be met such as ISO 22241-1 which is the same as the ISO 22241 except for handling specifications.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Tell to go pound sand. This ad blue stuff a commodity,truckers buy it at their diesel fuel stops by the ton. There is no magic here, if there was they would have to disclose it in their literature.