Farwell to Parker, my buddy

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sadly Parker, our Tibetan Terrier, has passed on. He was recently diagnosed with cancer, untreatable, and the vets' efforts to make him comfortable were not working. So with heavy hearts my sons and I had him put down yesterday.

Parker was an important member of the IDParts family and the TDIClub Community. Here he is at work in our Pembroke location:

And in his more common workplace posture in Hingham:

He would greet customers with a wagging tail (usually), and followed me everywhere around the office and warehouse. He was at work nearly every day I was there for the past 11 years.

And he was a big part of the TDIClub Community. He attended two TDIFests (Maine and Washington DC) and many get togethers, traveling to Connecticut, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, North and South Carolina, and Florida. And of course Ho5G in New Hampshire, more times than I can count. He was always welcomed there, even by the cats (real and porcelain). Over the years I started to feel like Parker was the one expected at Ho5G, and I was merely his driver. I never had to put him on a leash at GTGs, as he wouldn't stray more than a few inches for me. He spend no small part of his life staring at the backs of my knees.

My family and I will miss him more than I can say. But he was the perfect companion for me, and we'll never forget the comfort and joy he brought all of us over his 14+ years.

So long, my friend.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Keep your eyes open. Parker will show up one day, in a different form (perhaps as another dog).

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
That is heartbreaking, Peter.
What a great dog.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I'm so sorry, Peter! I have been there myself and have experienced the sheer heartbreak of losing one's buddy. Sounds like you did the compassionate thing, however, and involved your family which is special.

I like to think how fortunate our furred friends were to have us and that gives me some comfort.

While it may seem insurmountable at the moment, consider looking for another companion as that's what Parker would want! And it helps heal a broken heart.

Condolences pal.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
:( sorry

Awful thing to deal with, but very pleased you made a selfless decision in letting him move on. I think the biggest crime is trying to prolong a life of suffering to hang onto something that's already slipped away.

Still, my heart is heavy for your loss :(

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Damn Peter.....so sorry and sad to hear this...believe me he is in Paradise and you will meet again. RIP Parker great little guy

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Sorry to hear your loss. Its remarkable how these pets become members of the family.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Peter, sorry for your loss, but he is in a good place now. It's sad to hear of the loss of another valuable member of the TDI Club. I wish I could have had the chance to met him.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Such a tragedy that our furry family members don't share our longevity. I think many if not most of us know how hard it is to lose a beloved dog. Condolences.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Sorry to hear this Peter. :( Not to step in on your thread, but I just lost my almost 15 year old dog on January 30th. My best bud. Its hard, And I'm still depressed. Be well.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry for your loss. And it is hard, but I try to keep thinking of the joy he brought me every day. No matter how things were going, Parker could make me smile.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The Ho5G grieves with you and the fond memories he brought to our house. Parker will live on in our hearts. As said he is an expected member of the extended Ho5G family. Many was the time Parker roamed through the house terrorizing the cats or perhaps they terrorized him even the ceramic ones.
P&J

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Sorry for your loss Peter. I know how difficult it is to put a pet down from experience. You can take comfort in knowing that you provided him the best life a pet could have.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Sorry for your loss Peter.

I can relate... we lost Scruff, our schnauzer, on 10/31/15 to a Coyote. He went everywhere with us in the ALH VW Vanagon...... even to Alaska! He always hung-out with me in the garage...

Although Parker went over the Rainbow Bridge, you'll see him again!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'm sorry to hear you had to have him put down. It was clear to anyone nearby that Parker was well cared for and loved. As you said, he will live on in our hearts forever :)

It's a hard decision to make, but you did what was best for Parker. I hope that if the time comes for Lawson and I that we're able to do the same for Haru.

-J

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Sadly Parker, our Tibetan Terrier, has passed on. He was recently diagnosed with cancer, untreatable, and the vets' efforts to make him comfortable were not working. So with heavy hearts my sons and I had him put down yesterday.

Parker was an important member of the IDParts family and the TDIClub Community. Here he is at work in our Pembroke location:

And in his more common workplace posture in Hingham:

He would greet customers with a wagging tail (usually), and followed me everywhere around the office and warehouse. He was at work nearly every day I was there for the past 11 years.

And he was a big part of the TDIClub Community. He attended two TDIFests (Maine and Washington DC) and many get togethers, traveling to Connecticut, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, North and South Carolina, and Florida. And of course Ho5G in New Hampshire, more times than I can count. He was always welcomed there, even by the cats (real and porcelain). Over the years I started to feel like Parker was the one expected at Ho5G, and I was merely his driver. I never had to put him on a leash at GTGs, as he wouldn't stray more than a few inches for me. He spend no small part of his life staring at the backs of my knees.

My family and I will miss him more than I can say. But he was the perfect companion for me, and we'll never forget the comfort and joy he brought all of us over his 14+ years.

So long, my friend.
Beautiful tribute.
I know what you're going through b/c I have a German short hair pointer that is on his last legs literally as his hips are going out on him. I've been using CBD oil and Nymes with limited success. He still has a great appetite and as long as that remains I will continue to clean up after him. Thank God for portable carpet cleaners and 5 hp shop vacs!!~

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
So sorry to hear Peter. He all was greeted me with that kind look and just a little nip at me when I stepped on his long hair a few times. I all was found it funny how well he had you trained to give him his treats from the right bottom drawer. He had me trained to to do it when you where not around.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
So sorry to hear about your loss It's hard to lose a family member.