Farewell, friends!

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I have decided to opt for the buyback on my 2013 Passat TDI SE. She's got 136k on the clock, and starting to show signs of wear. Still a great car with lots of years left.

I'm transitioning to a 2015 Passat TDI SEL with 40k for $300 more than VW will give me for a buyback. So...

Hello, friends! I'll be here awhile.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The 15’s are wonderful.....It is a terrible shame that VW’s Ego got so big that they thought they could get away with this Crap...I have owned my since new 15 Jetta SEL TDI and love it....an As it is I will never buy another VW.....unless they bring back the TDI

Last edited:

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I have decided to opt for the buyback on my 2013 Passat TDI SE. She's got 136k on the clock, and starting to show signs of wear. Still a great car with lots of years left.

I'm transitioning to a 2015 Passat TDI SEL with 40k for $300 more than VW will give me for a buyback. So...

We did the same thing but got a NOS 15 SEL for our 13 SE buyback +$1.5K, very happy, it's going in for the 10K service in a few weeks. After we had driven it about 1K the oil pressure light started coming on occasionally so I took it in. Turns out is was slightly overfilled before we took delivery last May. The dealership changed the oil and filter and comped us with 3 total detailings for our trouble. We'll see how good they do quite soon. We have the 1st included service and paid for 2 more when we leased it. We bought it outright a month after leasing it with $8500 off sticker, came out much better then the 0% + $5K back.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yup, noting beats the cost per mile of diesel, they rose the electric rates where I live so even plug in Hybrid just doesn't make sense even in todays world- GM seen the light with the new 43mpg AWD diesel suv that's opening everyone's eyes!

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
yup, noting beats the cost per mile of diesel, they rose the electric rates where I live so even plug in Hybrid just doesn't make sense even in todays world- GM seen the light with the new 43mpg AWD diesel suv that's opening everyone's eyes!

Which model is that? I believe the Equinox is rated at 38/39mpg highway for the diesel model.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I changed from my 2002 Jetta to the Passat it was a totally new and pleasurable experience.:D

Jaestar3000

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Which model is that? I believe the Equinox is rated at 38/39mpg highway for the diesel model.
Auto magazines are reporting real world 40 - 43 MPG hwy and even Chevy's Equinox brochure put an * beside the 38 number and lists 40. They must feel pretty confident about it.
We're selling back our last VW March 7th and my wife is turning her back on VW (and manual transmissions) after driving a 2015 Golf for the Equinox. AWD, Diesel, SUV height and that MPG is sealing the deal for her. That and Mazda failing to deliver their CX-5 with manual transmission this year.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Auto magazines are reporting real world 40 - 43 MPG hwy and even Chevy's Equinox brochure put an * beside the 38 number and lists 40. They must feel pretty confident about it.

We're selling back our last VW March 7th and my wife is turning her back on VW (and manual transmissions) after driving a 2015 Golf for the Equinox. AWD, Diesel, SUV height and that MPG is sealing the deal for her. That and Mazda failing to deliver their CX-5 with manual transmission this year.

I didn’t think the CX-5 came in manual transmission at all this year. The diesel was available with manual in either Canada or definitely Europe? They never gave a release date so I passed on it. I would have looked at it for 30-31k max. I see the Equinox is about that but it wasn’t on my radar. It might have figured into my equation but I learned about it a little too late.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What are your electric rates? My napkin math suggests that power would have to cost about 20 cents per kWh at 3.3 miles per kWh to be at parity with a 50 MPG diesel car at $2.99 per gallon. My little Fiat costs about 2.5 cents per mile in energy, compared to the lifetime average of our Mk4 Jetta at 7.6 cents per mile.

OP: for $300, I'd consider that a pretty good upgrade. Congrats!

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I think so, too. It's CPO so it includes 2 yr/unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty ($50 deductible per instance), then coverage for 11 years/160k miles on the engine and emissions system. It's had the phase 1 fix applied. Also, there is a VW promo til April 2018 for 1.99% APR up to 60 months on CPO (unfortunately, my dealer is no participating in that, but yours may be).

If you look on eBay, it seems there is a decent inventory of 2015s currently available. It will most likely increase toward the end of the buyback period. This particular car arrived at the dealership on Wednesday, and I was the first to set eyes on it when it got to the lot on Friday. I immediately put a deposit on it without a test-drive. Went back the next day to firm up the deal.

If anyone else is considering doing this, it wouldn't hurt to get a good relationship going with a salesman who can alert you when the dealer gets a good car. As luck would have it, I was at the dealership to buy two $1 rear bumper clips that broke a week ago when I replaced the AdBlue heater and pump assemblies (mind the arrows, people). The car caught my eye and my wallet.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
What are your electric rates? My napkin math suggests that power would have to cost about 20 cents per kWh at 3.3 miles per kWh to be at parity with a 50 MPG diesel car at $2.99 per gallon. My little Fiat costs about 2.5 cents per mile in energy, compared to the lifetime average of our Mk4 Jetta at 7.6 cents per mile.

we are at .14 cents, your right electric is cheaper when you take in the price of maintenance- but lucky for me I can get legal on road diesel wholesale ;) Just get a couple home heating oil tanks and buy a bunch at a time, add additives and filter it down to 2 micron. Hope more 40+ MPG SUV's flood the market so I can buy em used in a decade :D

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Yeah, this whole dieselgate thing. So many people to blame, including the politicians that created an unrealistic threshold and VW's audacity. And their response is about as bad as it could be... they should have probably taken the opportunity to go all-in on electric. Whatever we like about our diesels (other than the noise, emissions, and maintenance), an electric car is more of that.

More torque, lower cost (ymmv), less maintenance.

I used $1k of my VW money last spring to get my Tesla Model 3 reservation (the rest bought my daughter a nicely priced Subaru Outback) and took care of my 80k mile DSG service.

Last night, I drove a Tesla for the first time (a Model S), and I am thinking that I am getting one... now I just have to figure out the particulars... like new versus used. Running the numbers, buying before the end of April seems like it might be the last best chance to get a new one. Free supercharging (there is one on the way home, so I won't even be charging at home), and the full tax credit is still here. And now, the Model S and X come standard with AWD. A Model 3 like that would be about $60K, and it would still be a Model 3... and I would get no free super charging (well, a small amount free per year) and likely no tax credit.

I drove a P100D, but the test drive models have software settings to make it perform like whatever model they set, so I drove it like a 75D, and I never punched it all the way, and it was amazing, even still, which is what I would be buying. They will let me transfer my reservation, and then put down the remainder of the deposit. Delivery would be in June. I need to run some more numbers today.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I drove an early model S a friend had in 2013.....nice ride. We bought a NOS 2015 SEL TDI last year that will be our long distance driver for years if all go as planned. We also have a 15 SEL eGolf for local trips, great ride and works well for our needs. We have a tracking solar array so we power our eGolf mostly at home.

Electric is the way to go IMO if the range works for you. I like our TDI for long trips of course as the refueling is so much faster then recharging.

By time we're ready for a new ride I'm guessing the battery range and recharging infrastructure will be much better than now.

We also have a MX5 PRHT for fun summer driving.