FAQ: 2009 - 2010 TDI-specific issues

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
"...we know that every '09 does it." Not my 2009 Jetta TDi

Thanks for the information here, on the first page - item #8 really helped:
Q: Every time I turn off the engine I hear a soft, high-pitched whining sound from under the hood; it stops after about 30 seconds. Is this normal?
A: Yes. Opinions still differ regarding what's going on (the ECU is adjusting something in the engine), but we know that every '09 does it. My personal opinion is that this is your engine's way of saying "Weeeeeeeee! That was fun!" Its that kinda car. Update: a recent VW TSB ascribes this noise to the EGR valves: "After switching ignition off, the EGR system must go through an adaption of the valves to maintain calibration. These noises are considered normal...."

That perfectly explains it!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
"...we know that every '09 does it." Not my 2009 Jetta TDi

Listen carefully... It should do this. If not, I'd susupect that something is not quite right with your car.

It is a VERY high pitched noise. As we age, our ears become less sensitive to higher pitched frequencies - maybe this is the case?

soaringsailor

TDI
'09 Jetta sedan
Wty soon to expire

I have an '09 Jetta TDI/ 6M w/ 31k miles. Wty on car runs to 36k mi, while drive train is 50k. I have experienced no problems thus far. What should I look for prior to Wty expirations so that the Wty covers it?
Thanks,

soaringsailor

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I have an '09 Jetta TDI/ 6M w/ 31k miles. Wty on car runs to 36k mi, while drive train is 50k. I have experienced no problems thus far. What should I look for prior to Wty expirations so that the Wty covers it?
Thanks,

soaringsailor
Good question. I have about 44000 on my 2009. Though I have had no problem with the DCT, I received a letter from VW extending the warranty on it to 100,000 miles. Evidently they have had some failures?

jcool

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sedan 6spd manual, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd manual
The wife smashed a deer friday night with our once mint 09 TDI. We have kept it in the garage and I washed and waxed it on a regular basis. Very sad day, both are very disappointed as it may be "totaled". Even if it is not most likely it will never be the same car.:( We went today looking at the passat, no TDI's on the lot yet but there was a loaded 2.5. Dealer was closed but some numbskull left the doors unlocked in the new passat with the key in the center console. No I did not drive away with it, but hid the key best I could. Very nice looking car much more leg room in the back seat over the jetta. But we both are still very fond of our jetta. I will post some pics if I can figure out how.

ScottieDucati

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDi/6M
Just wanted to add to this thread, if it's not contained elsewhere... but I had an issue that took a very skilled and experienced VW tech a while to find, and he'd seen it once before on an '09 CR TDI... I had a CEL for the MAF sensor come on, after replacing the MAF, sensor and intake manifold, they finally found the issue. On some cars, the wiring loom coming from the ECU was mis-routed, if so, the motion of the wiper arm will pinch the wiring. He found one wire that had a spotty connection, fixed it, re-routed it, and presto! Issue resolved. That was 2 years ago this month, and ZERO issues since.... going' strong at 60k :)

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Listen carefully... It should do this. If not, I'd susupect that something is not quite right with your car.
It is a VERY high pitched noise. As we age, our ears become less sensitive to higher pitched frequencies - maybe this is the case?
Mine stopped doing this after the ECU update. Or at least I can't hear it anymore.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
Doctor Dawg,
As a newbie to TDIs who just bought a 2012 Audi A-3, I just found your FAQs for 2009+ TDIs and found them quite useful.
But back when you wrote it, there were a number of things that weren't known yet.
I think it would be useful for you to update this and maybe put it in a new thread in the TDI 101 forum.
Thanks for all the info!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Doctor Dawg,
As a newbie to TDIs who just bought a 2012 Audi A-3, I just found your FAQs for 2009+ TDIs and found them quite useful.
But back when you wrote it, there were a number of things that weren't known yet.
I think it would be useful for you to update this and maybe put it in a new thread in the TDI 101 forum.
Thanks for all the info!
He hasn't posted in 14 months.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
Then maybe someone who has been a regular on this website (one of the moderators?) might take Dr Dawg's OP and update it into a new thread on TDI 101. It was real useful to me, but :
1. It's a bit outdated.
and
2. Since it was posted in a Jetta/Golf forum (not for my specific TDI), I didn't notice it for a month or two after I joined.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Thanks for creating this, hoping to be a newbie TDI owner. (2010 Jetta TDi, 6 spd manual)
Welcome, this is a great thread for a newcomer. It served me well when I first purchased my 11 Golf TDI. BTW I owned a 1 gen Talon also (94 AWD) and also have a 03 Evo. Good luck.

Sparky575

TDI
09 Jetta
My 09 Jetta seems to be having some issues with wiring harnesses become corroded and causing problems with the turbo. Latest issue caused the waste gate valve to fail. This would be the third electrical issue I have had. I am just wondering if this could be an isolated issue or is it due to a faulty harness. So far the only sign of an issue is the front right or left parking light bad when they are actually functioning correctly. It currently has 205k miles (yes 205,000 miles). Has anyone else heard of this issue?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My 09 Jetta seems to be having some issues with wiring harnesses become corroded and causing problems with the turbo. Latest issue caused the waste gate valve to fail. This would be the third electrical issue I have had. I am just wondering if this could be an isolated issue or is it due to a faulty harness. So far the only sign of an issue is the front right or left parking light bad when they are actually functioning correctly. It currently has 205k miles (yes 205,000 miles). Has anyone else heard of this issue?
VWs do sometimes have electrical problems. However, your '09 Jetta does not have a waste gate (it has a VNT - Variable Nozzle Turbo). Whoever told you that you have problem with your "waste gate valve" doesn't know what they are talking about. I would suggest finding a local VW TDI expert and having them look at your car. Check out the "Trusted Mechanics List" here.

Have Fun!

Don

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
So far the only sign of an issue is the front right or left parking light bad when they are actually functioning correctly.
Did you by any chance install LED lights in those right and left parking light fixtures? The computer needs to read the right amount of resistance across that bulb outlet and it is only tuned to incandescent lights. If you install LED lights you will have to add a resistor to trick the computer into thinking that an incandescent bulb is installed and working.

Good luck!

-darren

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
fault codes

Ok. Here are my codes and history. 2009 Jetta TDi, build date 6/2008, 47,000 miles. Purchase date of 8/2008. I have the check engine light on. I have no idea what these codes mean, and I would like to know if there is any possibility that the cylinder thing would be covered under powertrain warranty. VAG-COM Here it is:
Address 01: Engine (CBE) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 997 016 P HW: 03L 906 022 J
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 8681
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: VWX7Z0H524G047
Coding: 0050078
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3F8DFC346E5354E0186

3 Faults Found:
005079 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D7 - 000 - Short to Plus - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 38
Mileage: 75493 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:36:27

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2070 /min
Speed: 44.0 km/h
Bin. Bits: 00001010
Absolute Pres.: 233.0 bar
(no units): 3.10
Ign. Timing: 0.5 °BTDC
(no units): 10.40

005081 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D9 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Frequency: 19
Mileage: 75490 km
Time: 08:31:59

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 874 /min
Speed: 16.0 km/h
Bin. Bits: 00001010
Absolute Pres.: 36.0 bar
(no units): 11.80
Ign. Timing: 0.5 °BTDC
(no units): 10.40

005081 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D9 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 75847 km
Time: 18:04:16

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1357 /min
Speed: 44.0 km/h
Bin. Bits: 00001100
Absolute Pres.: 0.0 bar
(no units): -12.80
Ign. Timing: 57.6 °ATDC
(no units): 10.00

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0
... And...
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY8.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 BG HW: 1K0 953 549 BG
Component: J0527 051 0101
Coding: 0012021
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 78FF57280BFDA3D819C

Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: E0221 002 0010

4 Faults Found:
00576 - Terminal 15
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00883 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal S
00884 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal X
01744 - Ignition Switch Terminal P (D)

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok. Here are my codes and history. 2009 Jetta TDi, build date 6/2008, 47,000 miles. Purchase date of 8/2008. I have the check engine light on. I have no idea what these codes mean, and I would like to know if there is any possibility that the cylinder thing would be covered under powertrain warranty. VAG-COM Here it is:
This question would probably go better in the OBDII forum, but here is what I know:

First the steering wheel errors, they are all intermittent, so I would try clearing them and see if they come back. If they do come back, then you can try more troubleshooting.

As for the CEL, it looks like you have a bad glow plug on cylinder 4. They are not very hard to replace. I would swap cylinder 3 and 4 glow plugs and clear the fault. If it comes back on cylinder 3, it is definitely a bad glow plug. If it comes back on cylinder 4, it is a problem with the glow plug harness. You can buy a new glow plug online for about $82-90.

The cylinder pressure sensors are in the glow plugs.

I do not know if the powertrain warranty covers the glow plugs. It can't hurt to call the dealer and ask, but I wouldn't bet big money on it.

Have Fun!

Don

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
This question would probably go better in the OBDII forum, but here is what I know:

First the steering wheel errors, they are all intermittent, so I would try clearing them and see if they come back. If they do come back, then you can try more troubleshooting.

As for the CEL, it looks like you have a bad glow plug on cylinder 4. They are not very hard to replace. I would swap cylinder 3 and 4 glow plugs and clear the fault. If it comes back on cylinder 3, it is definitely a bad glow plug. If it comes back on cylinder 4, it is a problem with the glow plug harness. You can buy a new glow plug online for about $82-90.

I do not know if the powertrain warranty covers the glow plugs. It can't hurt to call the dealer and ask, but I wouldn't bet big money on it.
Have Fun!

Don
Thanks Don. I don't really know if I can do that job, so I will call the dealer and ask about the warranty. As far as the ignition, I have not had any problem, but when my wife drives, she may not be letting the glow plugs go long enough.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would look at the two in-harness junctions to make sure they are intact, if the problem stays with the original site (if it is not a bad glow plug).

I cannot tell for sure where they are, but they should be near where the harness leaves the top of the engine in its travels. One wire from each glow plug goes to each junction. The signal wires stay separate.

One junction provides +3 volts, the other the ground, both of them go directly back to the ECU.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI

Have Fun!

Don
I called my good, trusted dealer yesterday to ask about the glow plug and warranty. He said that they won't know exactly what would be covered under initial warranty, because the computer tells them what was extended by VW. Since I had new injectors replaced under recall, and a few other '09 recalls, there is a chance they may cover someting. I have a appointment on Tuesday.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
The additive deal

Has there been any more info from VW since the beginning of this post on weather it is ok in the '09+ to use Standyne or Powerservice? I always used additive in my '82 diesel Jetta, and my '06 New Beetle TDi.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Has there been any more info from VW since the beginning of this post on weather it is ok in the '09+ to use Standyne or Powerservice? I always used additive in my '82 diesel Jetta, and my '06 New Beetle TDi.
VW is silent about the use of fuel additives. Recommending additives would be a tacit admission that an additive is needed and VW does not want to admit that they have a problem with the quality of American fuel.

Feelings here are distinctly mixed about the advisability of additives. Some think that they are unnecessary, and others believe that a good lubricity additive cannot hurt and that it might even help. The only real fact that we know is that the lubricity standard for US fuel is not as good as the European standard and it is not as good as Bosch (the fuel pump manufacturer) recommends. Test results show great variability in US fuel lubricity. They range from excellent to terrible for fuel purchased at retail outlets. Perhaps the question boils down to how much do you trust the oil companies you deal with? Whether or not to use an additive is a personal decision.

Have Fun!

Don

DeeZule

TDI
09 Wagon
A lot of good info in here for us newbies. I'm looking to buy an 09 Jetta sportwagen (51k miles $16,500, price is too low to not consider it). Of course it has some issues. Engine shakes at idle, thought it was normal but it doesnt shake the interior at all and when idling the A/C blows hot, but gets cold when moving and stays cold even at stop light after initial start up. Lot different than my Hondas, will take some getting used to. Going back and forth trying to decide if it's worth the headache. I love diesels though.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Look at the AC threads about Refrigerant Control Valves (RCV).

Check the alternator sprag clutch pulley, ensure it is working (freewheels CCW, locks up CW.)

Get someone to check the injector idle balance out with VCDS (measuring value block 013) for you; they can look for other issues at the same time.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
DeeZule: At 56k, my 09 JSW (DSG) idles as smooth as a straight six...almost...I don't even hear/feel it at idle.

DeeZule

TDI
09 Wagon
Thanks guys. Its at a Ford dealer so I don't know if they could fix those issues or not. With a cheaper price I could always fix myself.

pyropete

TDI
2000 jetta TDI 1 owner 465k
2009 TDI limp mode

I have had such good luck with my 2000 TDI ALH that I recently purchased a used 2009 TDI with DSG and 114 kilometers on the clock.
Ran flawlessly for 1 month and 3000 KM then the glow plug light started flashing while driving, a short while later the service engine light is on and car goes into limp mode. I was stuck miles from home and had to visit a local general mechanical shop.

They said it was showing a 16621 turbo boost sensor code. and could not find anything really amiss

, so they erased the code and car ran fine and has for the last week.
I am now paranoid that it will do this again and leave me stuck in the COLD (yes I`m in the frozen north)
Any ideas on where or what to check while I wait for this to happen again.

I will try to get it in to a vw shop with a proper vagcom next time.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would put it in a heated garage (above freezing) overnight for one night and drain the intercooler piping, just because they can build up moisture in thaw-freeze-thaw conditions. Drain both the intercooler inlet and outlet.

Then I would examine by boost sensor wiring for issues.

Good plan to read with VCDS, I think that is probably low boost sensor reading, but you need to make sure.

Do you have a good multi vis oil in it? 5w30?