FAQ: 2009 - 2010 TDI-specific issues

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
2009 TDI-specific issues

Thank you for the reply,kindly DRDAWG. That price is sure an indication that there are few,if any, free lunches anymore. Back in the day (about 2 years ago) I wailed about having to drop ahout $80 on a whole set. Ah, them were the days!!:D

krsone

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, manual, blue graphite
krsone said:
So I've looked around the forums for some mention of this but haven't found anything: Is the EGR modification/calibration necessary for the new 2009s? If so, how soon are you supposed to get this done before it does permanent damage?
Thanks!
^^Does anyone know the answer to my question that I asked a couple weeks ago?

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
No, no modification is warranted, the DPF is a fickle and very costly creature best tended to by mother VDUB. Screw it up by somehow remapping things, and you may be out 3 or 4 large.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
krsone said:
Is the EGR modification/calibration necessary for the new 2009s? If so, how soon are you supposed to get this done before it does permanent damage?
In a way, I suppose a more general version of this question (i.e., "Can/should I modify the X?") should qualify as a FAQ here and get added to the list in post #1. The reasons I hesitate to do so are: (1) These cars are too new for anyone to have any solid, fact-based answers, and (2) My own personal answer is merely my opinion and doesn't deserve to end up sounding like a fact.

In case you're curious though, my own personal opinion is this: The '09+ design is so highly computerized, bristling with so many kinds of sensors we've never seen before (just one example: pressure-sensing glow plugs), all of which the ECU relies upon to make its decisions, there's a very high probability that any engine or drivetrain mods will have effects on ECU inputs that will deeply confuse your computer, throw a bunch of codes, and perhaps cause Very Bad Things to happen. As a rule of thumb, this is not a car suitable for modding, except for trivial stuff like adding a skidplate. For more functional types of mods proceed at your own risk (and, of course, kiss your warranty goodbye!). If one accepts this argument, it then follows that no modifications are "necessary".

Last edited:

krsone

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, manual, blue graphite
Thanks for all the input guys...I wasn't sure if this new engine is expected to have the same issues with clogging of the intake system over a long period of time like the older engines do. I suppose this new high tech engine is both a blessing and a curse, depending on what you want to do with it.

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
New question to continue thread

Great thread. Here's a question to keep it alive.

Why won't my '10 JSW rev to redline? I'm trying to use the entire powerband as suggested in the break-in procedures, and the engine only revs to 4200.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
6910sb said:
Great thread. Here's a question to keep it alive.

Why won't my '10 JSW rev to redline? I'm trying to use the entire powerband as suggested in the break-in procedures, and the engine only revs to 4200.
My guess only: you've got a DSG => it will shift for you prior to getting to high revs/red line...?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
6910sb said:
Have you tried to redline it in Sport mode?

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
DoctorDawg said:
Have you tried to redline it in Sport mode?
I forgot to mention that I tried all modes including manual. I got the numbers wrong also, it'll rev to 4400, not 4200. :confused:

DASTDI

TDI
2010 Sedan
All,

Yes, I have the same scenario. I like the transmission, but it does shift too early for my preference. I thought I may need the firmware/software upgrade, but my mfg date is August 2009.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
6910sb said:
I forgot to mention that I tried all modes including manual. I got the numbers wrong also, it'll rev to 4400, not 4200. :confused:
Max hp is at 4,200...........why go more?

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
It won't matter which shift mode you have it in.

Take the car out, get started rolling at around 30 mph, stick it hard to the floor and hold it. If it shifts at or near 4500 you're fine. Just remember to really bury the pedal. I think there's a 'kick-down' switch at the the carpet.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
securityguy said:
The sensors are wireless transmitters that have small lithium batteries in them that last 5-7 years. They transmit a radio signal to the cars computer which decodes it into a PSI reading and compares that reading to a base line value. If less than the base line, it triggers a "low air" indication on your dashboard.

When the battery dies, you buy a new sensor as they do NOT have user serviceable parts. Sensors can be bought on eBay or vwwvortex. Cost around $80 - $100.
Older post, I know. But I was looking at the owner's manual on my 2010 Golf, and it says that the TPMS sensors should be replaced at 6 years regardless of mileage, per the service schedule. So you're right on the money with your 5-7 years recommendation.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
That's an odd one, geezer. If that "C1" isn't an "01" with part of the zero obliterated, then I have no idea. Ever'body else's build dates are just normal numeric month/year.

dmilleriii

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
2009 Timing Belt Change

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI, and love it. I currently have 40k on it, and I'm approaching the point where I have to get the Timing Belt changed (60k). I'm starting to look for options and mechanics who can perform this job. I really don't want to get this done at the dealer. Is there any recommendations on which belts I should use. I know dieselgeek.com has 100k belts for older TDI's:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349

However, I don't see any for 2009. Does it exist? Will I have to change the belt every 60k?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Some may do it earlier, but the timing belt interval for the '09 is 120,000.

dmilleriii

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Timing Belt Change

El Dobro said:
Some may do it earlier, but the timing belt interval for the '09 is 120,000.
Oh, I guess I should have read the manual first. I just remember the dealer telling me I had to change it every 60k when I took delivery. Thanks, that's a relief. I was thinking this is going to get expensive quickly with the amount of miles I drive every year.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
First lesson, don't listen to what a VW dealer tells you. ;)

redbrick1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
FAQ update

14. Q: Where can I find a shop manual for the '09 Jetta TDI?

Update on this issue: Bentley Publishes is now taking preorders on their website for the updated MK5 manual, including the JSW and 2.0 L CR TDI engine. Should ship middle of December.

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
can,t program my 09 tdi sedan for lights to stay on coming home

HI! i just got my new 09 jetta tdi and can,t seem to get passed the OK button for lights programming. I have the highline model in canada

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
With all the horror stories I have read about dealerships using the incorrect oil, it would seem that the Winn VW in Newark, CA, where I brought the 2009 Jetta TDI put in the following PN#'s

1. engine oil : G0521951L ( the oil level is EXACTLY @ the top/full level)
2. screw: N90813202
3. filter element: 0711155620

during the prepaid 10k miles Factory Maintenance @ 12,200 miles. The tires were rotated and I ask them to check the alignment for any issues. (there was not) So if the 4 drivers do no do any serious curb bashing, it looks like the alignment will be good to go for easily 100,000 miles like my 03 TDI.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Doctordawg;

Winter has finally hit with some authority in Montana and I have a question regarding the TPMS.
My car was manufactured in warm weather and I am assuming the tires were inflated at the factory during that period too. I am guilty of not checking them other than to eyeball them before starting out every time.
With the temperature at 22 below zero this morning, the icon for low tire came on. (Man, you should have heard what went on inside my head when I thought I was in for a tire change)
Anyway, a check revealed that all four were up and rolling.
I called the dealer to ask if anyone else had been having the same and the tech told me that it will happen in the severe cold and the pressure will drop 1 psi for every 10 degrees. I googled that and found out that it was true for both lower temps and higher temps.
I calculate that with over 90 degrees of temp drop, my tires are in the vicinity of 29psi if they started 38psi.
The manual says that the light will go off when the pressure comes up.
After all that, my question is: should tire pressure be cranked up to keep from throwing the light in the winter?
Being my first experience with this system it has all the makings of being a PITA.

Geezer:confused:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
As I understand it, when the gommint was formulating the new TPMS requirement there was considerable debate regarding whether or not TPMS sensors should have temperature compensation built in, specifically so they wouldn't throw signals in the cold like you're seeing. Of course the auto manufacturers talked them out of it (a sensor with temperature compensation would be more expensive than one without).

I am no expert on tire inflation, but I do know that PV = nRT. If it was me, I would resist the urge to overinflate your tires to avoid the early morning low pressure signal, because when the tires warm up they will really, truly be overinflated (those around here who like to run their tires at high pressures might disagree that this would be a problem. I'm just sayin'). Look at it this way: this early morning low pressure thing has been goin' on for as long as you've lived in Montana winters, and it ain't hurt you yet, right? Its just that now with your TPMS you're aware of it.

Your other alternative might be to move someplace below the Arctic Circle :D

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Because of how tp pressure works in the real world, not much substitutes for scheduled periodic checking.