Fantastic new 2019 chevy cruze diesel

gopher

Since my 2005.5 VW TDI Jetta has 521,000 miles (still running great) I thought it was the right time to buy a new diesel, with the 2019 Chevy Cruze diesel being the only reasonably priced diesel sedan available in the U.S. Also, since GM announced the cessation of Cruze production in Lordstown, Ohio effective March 1, 2019 it was now or never. Surprised to see how rare these vehicles are- for example, I live in Florida and only a handful of new diesels available throughout the State- only 3 in all of south Florida. I traveled over 300 miles from north Florida to Clearwater to purchase a new Cruze diesel sedan; disappointed with the high pressure sales pitch to get me to buy an extended warranty- which I refused. I was amazed to achieve 62 mpg on the 300+ mile trip home (hand calculated) with speeds varying from 45 to 68 mph, using a very soft touch on the fuel pedal- surprisingly, the trip calculator on the dash only indicated 48 mpg whereas in my TDI the dash calculator is usually 5-10% high. The engine is so quiet at idle that I need to look at the tachometer to be sure the engine is on. I dont think any new cruze diesels can be ordered at this time so anyone interested in this fantastic diesel needs to locate one ASAP (there are a number of new 2018 cars around; however the 2019 has a new front grill as well as some safety features as standard as well as a switch to shut off the stop/start system. In addition, there is a timing chain which doesnt require regular replacement (surprisingly, the owners manual incorrectly states there is a timing belt, needing replacement at 90,000 miles!)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will find that the timing chain WILL need to be replaced at some point and time, and depending on if you catch it or not will determine if it is just a couple grand repair or a new engine. I would not brag about this feature yet, as the same folks that had a hand in that engine have also had a hand in some abysmally poor OHC chain designs in the past.

The chain, well, chains, are the tiny single roller type on the flywheel end of the engine and require transmission removal (like many VAG engines).

It may go a pretty long time, but it won't go indefinitely, and even if it lasts 300k miles, the cost to replace the system (chains, guides, tensioners, seals, labor) will be thrice the cost of one BRM timing belt replacement, so there may be no real gain here.

I've seen this engine apart in a training class I recently attended, it does not look to me to be as robust of a design as the old Cruze diesel engine (which had a proper belt).

The engine does perform splendidly, though, and it seems to be very frugal with fuel. Shame they are killing it off. :(

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The real unicorn is the Volt. I see future service better for the Volt than the Cruze diesel.

I looked at a 2018 Cruze diesel, but took home the Volt last August. My main reason was the financial terms. $1800 total down, including the first month payment. And $254 per month for 12K miles/year. I should have got 15K miles, because I like driving the Volt as opposed to my old B4V wagon.

Cost of operation for the Volt is around 7 or 8 cents per mile for fuel (both gas and electricity - and that is in San Diego) Other parts of the country would be less expensive.

Depreciation cost with the lease are cheaper than upkeep on the old B4V. Not to mention the issue with all the no longer available parts for the Passat.

BUT the Cruze diesel should serve anyone well who drives a bunch of miles. Unfortunately, here in California, our fuel tax structure tilted very much against diesel last year.

BTW, my gas only mpg is 42-45. Very much the same as my B4V mpg. D2 now costs $3.65/ga. and RUG is $2.95 at Costco right now. For my 5300 miles on the Volt my MPGe is 76 (what ever that means).

Most amazing thing to me is how quiet the Volt is. Tires are the biggest noise.

But I have not given up on diesel. Still have my TDI conversion Jeep Comanche!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just to amplify on the gas vs. diesel costs at current San Diego prices:

RUG at Costco is $2.95 At 42 mpg it costs about 7 cents per mile around town.

D2 is about $3.65 At 42 mpg it cost about 8.7 cents per mile.

With the electric car rate from SDG&E and night charging, my electric costs are about 10 cents for 4 miles of around town driving. Or, 2.5 cents per mile. (really having a hard time thinking it is that cheap).

Given my 1K per month lease at $254/mo, it seems I am saving $67/mo from diesel and $45/mo from RUG.

I am very interested in your real world MPG with the Cruze diesel automatic.

Final comment: My calculations say I would need 53 mpg for a Cruze diesel vs a Cruze gaser or Volt to match the cost per mile with the Gas Cruze (assuming 42 mpg). Just back of the envelope calculations, so please correct where I am wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I would humbly suggest that when we do fuel cost comparisons and cost/benefit analysis of gas vs diesel vs ... we use MPG averages from as many vehicles as we can research as opposed to anecdotal data from a one or a few vehicles at a time.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I would humbly suggest that when we do fuel cost comparisons and cost/benefit analysis of gas vs diesel vs ... we use MPG averages from as many vehicles as we can research as opposed to anecdotal data from a one or a few vehicles at a time.
Yes, "42 mpg" from a gas Cruze is somewhat unbelievable as an average number.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The fits gen Cruze engine was a real sleeper. Not the most fuel efficient but proving to be a very reliable workhorse. Surprising since it was a last-second, slap it together engine design.

The 1.6L is a much smaller, lighter engine which has positives and negatives. The fuel efficiency is excellent and the NVH is extremely low, at times lower than the gasoline options I might even say.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Using the words fantastic and Chevy in the same sentence is just plain wrong. I can think of other words that might go well with Chevy:
  • Dismal
  • Cheap
  • Tinny
  • Joke
When they open the line back up in China, the quality could improve, but probably not.