Fans kick on high speed and stay running when car is shut off.

musky48

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. 2003 Jetta TDI
My 2011 golf TDI has a fan issue. I can hear it kick on when when i am driving and it don't shut off when the switch is turned off. The car shows its running normal on temperature. Is cold out so they should be running anyway. When i shut it off and the fans are still running i start it back up and it sounds like they shut off. I turn the key back off and they are off for a second then it sounds like they come back on low. I do this several times and they finally stay off. This is my first MK6 so i got a few ideas but not many. I was going to check the connection on the coolant temperature sensor, the connection to the fan. I have read that an issue with the big fan can cause this. I thought about looking with my vcds and seeing what the temp is reading(just need to find what to look at) Just haven't had with me when problem happened. It done it once and was good for several drives and the last two times i drove it has happened again. I just got this car so i have no history with it. If anyone else has any input or advice i will gladly take it.

Thanks,
Musky48

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My temp sensor was causing the fan to come on on my 2007 2L tdi, it would stay on for a good while after switching off too. Gauge in the car read fine but the ecu was seeing something else. Had to use vcds to find it. Anyway new sensor and all good.

Looks like they changed things for fan control rather than the simple radiator switch like the older cars.

musky48

TDI
I haven't had a chance to check mine with VCDS yet because its intermittent. Plus i need to find where to look for the two sensors in VCDS. I have checked the connection on the one between the fans and the engine and all looked good. Going to check the one on the engine when i service my DSG this weekend. Hasn't happened for several days now.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
You car is going thru a regen and the fans(s) are disappating the extra heat. Same thing if you interupt the regen by shutting it off the fans will continue to run until the temp drops below whatever temp the car is set to.

musky48

TDI
You car is going thru a regen and the fans(s) are disappating the extra heat. Same thing if you interupt the regen by shutting it off the fans will continue to run until the temp drops below whatever temp the car is set to.
The car has a check engine light and hasn't done a regeneration since i got the car, only drove about 1,000 miles. I took scan of car when i got it and was looking at DPF data and it hasn't regenerated in a while. LOL I wonder if the filter is getting plugged and hot after driving it a while and it kinda burns itself out and the cycle repeats itself after it starts to plug a again. This is just a guess, my last TDI was an ALH so this never one is all new to me.

Thanks,
Ralph

008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1
P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100111
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 30
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 113117 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.11.13
Time: 13:16:36

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
What is the extended emissions warranty status of this VIN: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/
Anything that triggers an engine MIL is covered while the extended warranty is in effect.
BTW, I notice that VCDS doesn't seem to report complete regen status for our '11 CJAA engine. --g

musky48

TDI
What is the extended emissions warranty status of this VIN: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/
Anything that triggers an engine MIL is covered while the extended warranty is in effect.
BTW, I notice that VCDS doesn't seem to report complete regen status for our '11 CJAA engine. --g
I had about 500 miles left on warranty but unfortunately a previous owner tapped into the charge air pipe going into the intake and it was leaking which is what likely burnt up the DPF. So, due to modifications it wasn't covered. You could tell it was leaking for a while it had a bunch of oil and crud covering it up. I'm the third owner, I have a feeling the original owner who sold the car back probably done it but I have no way of proving it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I had about 500 miles left on warranty but unfortunately a previous owner tapped into the charge air pipe going into the intake and it was leaking which is what likely burnt up the DPF. So, due to modifications it wasn't covered. You could tell it was leaking for a while it had a bunch of oil and crud covering it up. I'm the third owner, I have a feeling the original owner who sold the car back probably done it but I have no way of proving it.
You can try to do a forced regen. Otherwise I know someone whod probably give you a good dpf for cost of shipping.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Fans probably kick on because exhaust temps are getting too high. If your in a no smog or inspection state .... Delete.