Fall 2021 Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
CANCELLED! :cry:

Schedule of events is as follows:

We typically leave our shop around 9:15ish for a spirited cruise around Door County to check out some of the sites in the area along with the scenic roads that should have trees in their fall colors. The cruise usually lasts 3 hours or so depending on route and how long we stop at the scenic spots. The cruise will end back at our shop in case you get lost for some reason you can meet us there.

When we get back we usually cook out either burgers or brats and it would be great if everyone could bring something with to share, for example chips, cookies, soda, bottled water, brownies, napkins, plates, and anything else that you think other people would enjoy. Your more than welcome to bring beer with, but let’s keep it to a can or two per person, since I don’t wanna see anyone get in trouble with the police after they leave our shop.

Our shop is 60x90 and has a 2 post lift in it for those people that are doing brake work, oil changes, sway bar install, suspension work, etc. If you’re going to be doing any major work like replacing a clutch or anything like that, please contact me ahead of time to fill me in on what work you’re planning on doing and get my approval.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I do believe I shall make this one. The covid situation is not as good as I wish, but with two doses of Phizzer in my arm since April, I think it is quite good enough. With my son going to school I doubt we will be coming together in two cars( he better not have time for this sort of thing anyway...LOL ). Thanks for the notice!

To the folks out my way in SE Michigan, drop me a note if you'd care to travel together in caravan...or if I can join a run from the folk closer that will also work. To the latter group, the only thing you'll need to worry about on the meet-up is me getting there early...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If I go it will be by the north passage, went through Chicago last week. Enough of that route for about ten years

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Pencil me in as probable. I don't have a TDI anymore, but I'll bring my diesel vehicle.
I'll add you to the list of people attending. Hey as long as you have a vehicle you enjoy driving you're more than welcome to bring it and as I always say, the more the merrier.

I do believe I shall make this one. The covid situation is not as good as I wish, but with two doses of Phizzer in my arm since April, I think it is quite good enough. With my son going to school I doubt we will be coming together in two cars( he better not have time for this sort of thing anyway...LOL ). Thanks for the notice!

To the folks out my way in SE Michigan, drop me a note if you'd care to travel together in caravan...or if I can join a run from the folk closer that will also work. To the latter group, the only thing you'll need to worry about on the meet-up is me getting there early...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas
That's great to hear that you'll more than likely be able to make it.
If you haven't sat in a set of Recaro seats by October, you're more than welcome to be my driver for the day to get a good feeling for the seats.

If I go it will be by the north passage, went through Chicago last week. Enough of that route for about ten years
I've driven through Chicago to know exactly what you're talking about and it's definitely not fun to deal with. I do know that if you go through either super late at night or really early in the morning it's not nearly as bad as if you were going through Chicago during the day.

I will say that the northern route is a very scenic drive, but be on the lookout for deer and other critters that tend to be out at night and early morning hours.

I hope everyone makes it here safe and sound. 👍😊

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Re-examining the map, that is not such a bad idear. Travel Friday, lay up *SOMEWHERE that night and make the meet at a proper hour after a decent night's sleep sounds like a fine plan. I have yet to pilot myself across the UP... :)
cheers,
Douglas

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It’s a long cruise from Ypsi. We’ve been to the Kewenaw and Porci’s this year and will head to Drummond Island next month. We could meet in Grayling, I know a spot that serves breakfast all day

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I will try to keep this date on my radar as a possibility. Might make sense to head up Friday as I'm about 230 Miles from the starting point.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
hey-Hey!!!,
Hopefully I will have this beast sorted in time. Not counting on it...as 'sorting' should include a change to manual trans.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/63054-jpeg.142886/
I'll be just so disappointed if I have to drive the White one.
cheers,
Douglas
Looks like you have your work cut out for you if you have to do a manual swap on it. Hopefully you can get the car sorted out before my cruise/GTG.

I will try to keep this date on my radar as a possibility. Might make sense to head up Friday as I'm about 230 Miles from the starting point.
There are plenty of great places to stay up here or I'm sure you can find a place to stay on your way up.

I hope you can make it to the cruise/GTG. (y) 😊

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to see you are still putting these on
As you can imagine, last year I wasn't willing to risk everyone's health to have one, but this year with the ability to get vaccinated and everyone being able to ride in their own vehicles during the cruise, I figured it was safe enough to hold one.

I'm just hoping that the weather cooperates next Saturday.🤞

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I hate to do this, but I won't be able to make it up there, this time. Had some family matters come up that need my attention. I hope everyone has good weather and a good time. Drive safe and I hope to see you all next time.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I fear I am going to wind up in the same boat...stuff is in flight towards a fan, and it is likely to connect and wreck my plans... :(

Douglas

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to do this, but I won't be able to make it up there, this time. Had some family matters come up that need my attention. I hope everyone has good weather and a good time. Drive safe and I hope to see you all next time.
Sorry to hear that you're having family issues. Hopefully things work out in the end for you.

Yep, we'll see you on the next one. (y)

I fear I am going to wind up in the same boat...stuff is in flight towards a fan, and it is likely to connect and wreck my plans... :(

Douglas
That's unfortunate to hear. With any luck you can get it fixed up and running in time for the cruise/GTG.

Heck, I'd get rid of the fan if I could.
cheers,
Douglas
Let's just say that we won't be sitting still a whole lot during the cruise, so you wouldn't even need a fan. 😉

So I can plan accordingly, who is in as of right now, so I can know how many hamburger patties to purchase next Friday?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
My dad got contacted by a producer of a movie that's filming 15 minutes north of Sturgeon Bay, about wanting to use a classic/muscle car in a few scenes in their movie. Low and behold, they need him to bring his 69 Camaro out to where they're filming this Friday and Saturday starting at 7AM both days. My dad is the one behind the scenes that moves everything out of the way early on Saturday morning before everyone gets there and sets up the tables we need for when we cook out.

As you can imagine without his help it would be extremely difficult to have the cruise/GTG and unfortunately there isn't anyone else that could help out, so I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to cancel the cruise/GTG on Saturday. :cry: