Failing injection pump?

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Has anyone been able to source out a replacement case pressure valve for the pump yet?

camelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Auto
I just checked mine today. I highly recommend this as a check because it is so damned easy. Back out the 10mm flat bolt/valve, and check to see if it is all together. Mine was in pieces. I fished the pieces out of the hole, reassembled, and tightened the bolt back in place. I have to finish the intake assembly before reporting back on engine operation changes.

Camelman

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
How do you get the 10mm flat bolt out? The way my bolt is positioned I cannot get the 10mm open end wrench on it?

LowlyOilBurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDi
BUMP! I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

I traded the 02 in on this, and couldn't be happier!!! No mods for a a daily driver for me anymore, this will stay STOCK.

Plus, I have this in my 1994 UrS4 when I wanna drive fast:

...trust me, it's FAST.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
LowlyOilBurner said:
BUMP! I SOLVED THE PROBLEM! No mods for a a daily driver for me anymore, this will stay STOCK.
I did a very similar upgrade but not by choice.

I still am looking to get my 2010 Golf TDI chipped, when 40k miles gets here, currently at 7800

it's amazing the 2010 golf 2 door is lighter and has about the same power output as my modded 2003 but the throttle response is not the same.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Useful post. I found the retainer in mine was coming out somewhat. This is an 11mm pump on a 2000 NB TDI auto. We've been having a recurring p1248 CEL and have been trying to find the cause.

Also checked my 1996 Passat TDI today. Much harder to get the valve out without a socket, but I got it out carefully by judicious use of Liquid Wrench, tapping on the 10mm with a hammer and punch, and finally using the 10mm box wrench almost upright with a long flat-head screwdriver in it for leverage. It worked, and my valve looked like the one in the middle of the picture. Maybe this will help with the smoky cold starts.

Hi,

I find many pumps that are getting pulled and rebuilt for no problem other than low case pressure. They can't maintain the proper advance w/o case pressure.

Simply pull out the case relief valve, next to the fuel inlet. It is the strange piece with 10mm flats. The insides begin to walk out over time. Just hammer the retainer back in so it's flush with the bottom of the valve. Be extremely careful not to get dirt into the pump, cuz this is right at the front lift pump. Spray with carb cleaner and use compressed air to blow away dirt before removing the valve. Use a clean hammer too so dirt doesn't enter the valve. This will allow air to enter, but most pumps will be fine and start up ok and reprime, no problem. Don't open or remove this valve with car running or you'll get a good shower.

If you're getting smoky starts, and poor performance, the timing piston isn't working. If it gets real bad, you'll get start of injection faults. If your car dies or runs very poorly w/o faults, it usually means it is running out of fuel.

The middle valve shows the problem. The right valve is fixed.

Also fyi, increasing case pressure doesn't improve performance in any way. The camplate timing solenoid controls the pressure to the timing piston wrt #3 lift sensor and rpms and load request. However, if the piston is scored and leaking badly, increasing case pressure and running bioD, with greater viscosity can make the pump work good enough to get it off the lot, if you're trying to unload a hunker w/a bad pump.

btw, the pic was from Jonathan B's pump I just rebuild that had gas run thru it. The insides were rusted, and the varnish from old gas clogged up all the passages.

Jeff

Last edited: