Failing 01M trans?

wildn

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon 5spd! 2011 Jetta JSW TDI DSG
So my trans has been acting funny lately, i’m hoping it’s the torque converter and not the whole trans but i just changed the fluid/ filter 400 miles ago so if any one has any sage wisdom it would be appriciated

1. It wouldn’t move once in drive, it was cold but it has never don’t this before even when starting in much colder climate. once it does move it’s lurching and jerking

2. ALL gear changes feel rough

3. It’s been not going into 4 and reving up to 3500 in 2nd to get into 3rd; in the freeway i was locked into 3rd the whole time

4. Throwing P0730 and P0740

Any help would be awesome

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Yeah, sorry it's toast. The good news is that it's time for a manual swap. :)

wildn

TDI
Update: most of the trans fluid leaked out

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Well - you can TRY putting in new transmission fluid. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

Manual swap - I paid right at $3000 for mine parts and labor. I know it was done by Jim Bote in Sanford NC. Looks stock, and gained 8 MPG over my failed O1M automatic. I'm still driving that car (2000 NB) (372,000 miles currently).

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Update: most of the trans fluid leaked out
This often happens when the bushings (that act as spacers between the pan and the
bottom of the trans) get left out when you re-install the pan with the new gasket.
Check the old gasket's bolt holes...
We're on our second 01M in the '02 wagon.

Last edited:

wildn

TDI
i pulled the skid plate and drained what was left; it looked like the place i took it to over torqued the pan and it broke a corner of the gasket since that’s was were it looked like it was leaking plus the one of the bolts holding the pan snapped

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
See if the butchers bothered to re-use the bushings.
There should be one on each bolt. They keep the gasket from distorting.
It's worth finding out what fluid was used. At least now you can correct that.

Last edited:

wildn

TDI
See if the butchers bothered to re-use the bushings.
There should be one on each bolt. They keep the gasket from distorting.
It's worth finding out what fluid was used. At least now you can correct that.
I didn't see any bushings on. And no luck getting out the bolt because extractor snapped in the bolt.
I ordered a new pan/ filter but is it possible to just get the bushing? I also took a look at the fluid.
The old fluid didn't have a lot of metal in it but there was some; the shop said they were using "petosin ATF1" so I picked some up from NAPA

Should I refill the trans? I closed everything back up and left the newish filter on. I'm not going to move it until I can tow it or have it towed somewhere to get that bolt out unless I can get it out but it ain't looking good

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
IDParts and maybe other vendors supply 4 gasket bushings along with the filter kit.
I would hope the local VW dealership would have them too, along with the new bolt.
You're right to get the broken bolt out of there first.