Failed parts store starter disassembly with photos.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I had gotten a 2005 bew which recently had a major parts store brand starter installed. It didn't like to start the car, especially when warm and did the "sick turkey" sound when I let off. Mind you, this is an almost new starter... I put one of my new Valeo ones on and it made a day and night difference! Then I used my core to rebuild.
As I pulled it apart, I wanted to see what had failed. First thing I noticed was that the brush holder was an older oem one that they just welded new brushes onto.

The brushes were heat damaged which explained the slow cranking. I then pulled the front off and found a lot of bronze glitter...

Thats what used to be the front bushing and it was pushed back a bit and badly worn. More inspection found that the reason for that was the cheap metal drive they installed which was fretting.

I took it apart installed a genuine bosch drive, new solenoid, brush holder and bushing and it works just like new now. This is the reason that I recommend people not get parts store or aftermarket starters and alternators.