Factory splash guards keep scrapping

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Car came with the mudflaps installed when purchased. It seems I keep scrapping these things pulling into driveways, going over speed bumps and dips in the road. I upgraded the wheels giving me a little more clearance by about 1/2" but still scrapping. Dealer says car height and suspension are fine and that it's a common complaint.
Anyone else experiencing this?

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
I installed mine myself (not that it probably matters) but have not have any problems what so ever. Are you sure its not the front or rear of the car scraping? The mud flaps doing such just doesn't seem plausible in my mind.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I'm in a loaner car right now. It's a '12 jetta S (gas). It doesnt have the mud flaps. So far the same roads and no rubbing or bottoming out. It's definitely not a suspension "clunk". It's a a scrapping, like plastic dragged along the street.

Organdonor

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan 6MT
I installed the OEM flaps this Christmas (got a great price on eBay, BTW.)

The rear ones scrape going in and out of driveways when I have both kids in the back seat. Combined they weight 400 pounds (teenaged boys). If I have a heavy load in the trunk, it will sometimes scrape, but once again, only on signifigant change in angles or those HUGE speedbumps.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I installed the OEM flaps this Christmas (got a great price on eBay, BTW.)

The rear ones scrape going in and out of driveways when I have both kids in the back seat. Combined they weight 400 pounds (teenaged boys). If I have a heavy load in the trunk, it will sometimes scrape, but once again, only on signifigant change in angles or those HUGE speedbumps.
Sounds like the same. Going to lunch with a car load of people and turning off the road if there's a dip or bump it scrapes. Same going over speed bumps if I don't go slow enough.

Corvus

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I have the VW mud flaps on my 2012 and have not noticed any scraping whatsoever. At least not YET, but it's only been 3 weeks.

C.

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I have a bit of an incline at the entrance of my driveway and if I have anything in the trunk or backseat the splash gaurds will scrap. They were installed by the dealer.

cincin

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
where did you guys get these 2012 jetta flaps from? looking to buy a set and need to know where to get the best product/price...

also looking for clear rear bumper protector...

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Mine came with the car as a dealer or port option. They are genuine vw parts, like $56 a set if I remember what was on the invoice.

Skatch_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Confortline, Gun Metal Grey,Tech Package and DSG, Previous was 2012 Platinum Grey Jetta 6MT, 138500km
My 2012 Jetta came with the mud flaps installed from the factory. I have only heard them scrape once, this was coming out of a grocery store and going out into a big dip. Other wise I haven't seen this issue and I drive a lot of crappy roads.

CT_Jetta

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Splash Guards VW or Hong Kong

Would like to put Mud Guards on my Jetta MK6 TDI, anyone have experience of the aftermarket ones from China that seem to be coming online for the new Jetta on E-Bay. $30 vs $115

TDI Time

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav
I bought the front and rear splash guards from ECS (a significantly lower price than the dealer) and they arrived this week. My big project is to install them this weekend. I found a youtube video showing the steps so I feel comfortable trying this at home.

CT_Jetta

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Re ECS Mud Flaps

Had a look on their website but the flaps they advertise seem more expensive than VW, What price did you pay for them?

kay.DIESLpwr

TDI
2012 Jetta, DSG
hey

was just wondering where you guys bought yours and for how much?
or where can i get and OEM one?

btw i forgot this one site where you can buy eu car parts, it starts with eu.......com, does someone know?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i used to like mudflaps, but after seeing what they do to the paint/body after a few years, i'm not really a fan. dirt/grit gets in there and they rub and create the perfect environment for creating rust on the body where you can't see it :(

TDI Time

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav
I think I paid $55 a pair, so $110 for all four from ECS Tuning. My dealer wanted $75 a pair plus two hours of shop time to install them. The ECS guards were factory VW and while the install was time consuming (have to take off the wheels to have room to install easily) it wasn't too hard. I just accepted I should learn how to change a tire on this car anyway. I found a youtube video of a guy installing them on a 2011 which was well put together and not very different in the case of my 2012.

Mark

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I have them on my 2011 JSW and they scrape everytime I go in or out of my drive way with someone in the back seat. Every so often when I'm washing the car I scrape off the ragged edges with a razor blade.

CT_Jetta

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
In answer to my own question I purchased a (cheap) set from HK they arrived about 12 days later and they were not for the MK VI contacted seller got a refund no questions asked. A little later chanced buying another set for about $30, again arrived within 2 weeks and did a test fit, did not look promising however when I spent some time do properly fit them, they worked a charm with just a little effort. I think they look smarter than the OEM + a lot cheaper. Even with last winters snow + ice, they did the job.