fa ecu swaped in for a bk ?s

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
I have '96 passat with bk ecu..i have access to a FA from as 97 and a ED from a '98 jetta..jeff at rocket chip can convert the ed to a gq and chip it for me..should i do that of swap a fa and have jeff do the chipps? i have removed the egr, muffler, the cat is hollow, and the extra injector is plugged, i have power plus kerma .216 nozzles , new vacuum lines and bosst is limited to 10 psi max, max egt pre turbo 1100..im looking to get lots of performance from this engine..what should i do?
thanks
Deo

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What's wrong with the BK? Why would you consider replacing it? The reason the factory developed the GQ was to deal with the different fuel requirements for emissions compliance once the software deleted the 5th injector.
You've deleted the 5th, AND the egr, AND the cat. What will you gain by going to a cobbled-up, ersatz GQ?
A GQ will work. I don't know if the FA will. I really don't know what an ED to GQ conversion entails.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
"Why is boost limited to 10 psi? " thats part of the problem ..i just redid the vacuum lines, new n75 valve etc, the maf is fine etc...i tried to get the bk ecu in the car chipped by a upsolute dealer here in nearby CT and they coulden't get the chip program to work with my bk ecu.. I wanted teh hotter big injector ecu becuase i have the bigger kerma power plus .216 injectors..and the car will not smoke at all even in the summer in hot weather..etc i seem to think the ecu has a problem because upsolute couldn't get a chip to "take ". Also the BK ECU doesn't allow adaptation for the injection quantity..where another ecu might..etc...im up in the air with this one may be my injection pump is lean from the factory?.i have another to test if it gets to that point but frankly the car is slow...my 2001 golf with the same injectors and a chip ..same mods as the passat is a rocket..my 1.6LTD was spunkyer then this passat... any ideas? I'd like a ECU that allows adaptation and will accept a chip for my big injectors..etc Jeff at rocket chip said he could convert a '98 jetta TDI ecu to a GQ for me and chip if ..that and this other FA ecu are my choices for replacing the BK.
any help?
Thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
I'm thinking that you might have more problems than just the ECU decision. If you aren't smoking like crazy with the big injectors @ only 10 psi you probably have a fueling issue. Whether it's ECU or pump related will be tough to determine here. I would think that you should be smoking a whole lot with the limited boost you have.

I am assuming that the fuel filter has been changed as part of this process & the lines are bubble-free.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
yes fuel filters has been changed ..lines have no air.. the egt doesn't get hot and not smoke so i beleive its fueling also..the big injectors are nice ..but i tried swapping the stockers back in ..it was horrible..thats part of my ecu decision..i wanted to try apatation to increse th efueling but the bk doesen't allow it..maybe i should swap the pump out ..argh..pain in the butt i wish this car ran like the 2001 golf tdi we have..it would be almost perfect..argh
later
Deo

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Someone with more TDI knowledge should chime in here. Jeff might have a place for you to start troubleshooting. You may want to have your timing & IQ on your pump checked. Something is definitely wrong. A good B4 with big holes should easily keep up with a stock A4.