Exxon/Mobil Consumer Diesel FAQ

paschalini

Veteran Member
Thanks for the link. Lots of good data.Unfortunately Mobil (unless I missed it) didn't post their exact Cetane rating. Only stated a minimum of 40. Also, and unfortunately, there isn't a Mobil dealer within 250 miles of me.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
They won't list their exact cetane, because cetane varies from batch to batch. 40 cetane minimum is all they will commit to, mostly because they are required to.

NBKrissie1

Veteran Member
Yeah, I have talked to Mobil dealers, checked the website and called their people. No one will divulge the cetane number. I just go ahead and add the Cetane Boost anyway.

JeffT

Veteran Member
I've used Mobil diesel now for 46,600 miles (since new) and am completely happy with the Mobil diesel. Some of the pumps claim to be some kind of Mobil premium diesel while the others don't.

I never use cetane boost or any other additive.

ronarnold

No matter what they say, I'll never knowlingly put another drop of Mobil diesel or gasoline into any of my vehicles. Not after $391.00 to clean my diesel system, which was so contaminated that the technican thought that "unleaded gasoline" had been added to the tank. I have filled up at this station every two weeks or so since I moved into this house last August. Well, except for my road trip to the Indy F1. Now it's fuel of the month. I may still get a tank of bad fuel, but at least it won't stop the car. I hope.
Bye-bye Mobil!

Ron in Royal Oak
73 Mini Cooper
00 New Beetle TDI

TexasTDI

Does Mobil, Exxon or any major oil company say that "all" their stations carry the same quality of fuels ? I have heard, there are secondary companies that transport the fuel to the stations and some of these companies "mix / delute or alter" the fuels before delivery ?

Enchanter

TDI
New Beetle, 2001, Black
I have a friend who is a District Manager for Exxon/Mobil and he is pretty much clueless to their distillates even though he sells the stuff at many of his stations. Their fuel made me leary the one time I put it in and it was yellow.

BTW, Ron, I didn't realize you live so close to me. For you it is worth the drive to M-59 and Rochester. There is an Amoco there that sells the Premier fuel. The best that you can buy. I confirmed it with the Terminal too.

No Exxon/Mobil for me.

Enchanter
2001 NB GLS TDI
"VIM"

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
FWIW...When Mobil and Exxon merged they did away with domestic partnership benefits, eventhough Mobil or Exxon (I forget which) did offer those benefits before the merger.

For that step backward, I buy my fuel elsewhere. Anyhow..they are now (i believe) the largest company in the USA having record profits. And when gas prices (and diesel?) soar this summer, the oil companies are going to complain and complain while they make more record profits.

okay..flame off.