Extreme Oil usage after shop sevicing.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
My ad blue injector was leaking on my 2015 Passt TDI. While they had it in the shop for that repair I had them do an oil/filter change also. When I got the car back it went through a quart of oil in 75 mile. I thought that they shorted me a quart with the change so back to the VW dealership I went. I watched them top it off with another quart of oil, after a fifty mile drive I was again down another quart. Prior to having this service I went 10K miles between oil changes and never had to add an ounce of oil. I contacted the dealership and the appointment guy was going to have a service representative call me back...I'm still waiting. BTW no oil on ground were vehicle was parked and none that I can see on the under engine protector blanket. I think it must be the new ad blue injector as there is oil visible around where the mating parts a press together. Any ideas or similar experiences. Ted...still waiting for the phone to ring.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Take the belly pan completely off and inspect, using a mirror if necessary, particularly around the drain plug and oil filter housing too.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
Wrote a letter to service manager last nite. Promptly got a call back this morning. They ruled out the ad blue injector stating there is no oil contact with/through that part. They think it is coincidental the oil problem started after them servicing the vehicle. They are having me bring the Passat in for some diagnostics to find the problem. Will post back with what they find.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2015 TDI engines consume oil, it is quite common. Couple this with the fact that the dealers are now using an even thinner oil than before (because it is "backwards compatible"... yeah, whatever) you may find things worse.

There are threads here discussing this (2015s using oil). Yours does fall above the "half quart every 600 miles" allowable limit, though. And if it were leaking that much, I'd think you'd see it. The splash shield isn't going to hold two quarts of oil.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
I’m waiting at the dealership now for their diagnosis. I went through a quart of oil in 21 (yes twenty one) miles.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
60k...it all started after the 60K oil change service. The dealership (Westside VW, St. Louis Park, MN) looked at it today and found no visible oil leaks and the under engine cover was dry. They topped the oil off and took for a 10 mile test drive after which they say the oil didn’t appear to go down. They are perplexed, the shop Forman is going to drive car home and put on some miles to see what happens. Strange....

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My 2015 uses about half a litre between 15,000 km oil changes, am at 90,000 kms. In about 1,000,000 kms in total in my VW’s, I’ve never had one that needed oil added between oil changes. Friends with the same tdi have had them use a litre in 5,000 kms and one used no oil between 15,000 kms changes. Oil consumption seems to be based on original manufacturing tolerances for each block.

OP, be interested in finding out where your oil is going, car should beputting out clouds of blue smoke with what it is burning.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When you first noticed the oil was low, did the warning come on the dash that it was low on oil? or did you just check the dipstick? the dash warning only comes on when oil is hardly visible on the dipstick .

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
I'm not sure what the warranty coverage is (mileage, diesel-gate, etc.). I'd be leery of accepting anything that dealership says. It seems like they'd be on the hook for a new engine. If they can put you off until post-warranty, then they're happy.

I'd get more information: why is it that your oil check shows such consumption but theirs does not? Then, once that's clarified, I'd immediately escalate. No way is it "just coincidental" that the engine is going through that much oil right after an oil service.

oilhammer

TDI
I think there needs to be a little more repeated monitoring of this. Because if the engine WAS indeed consuming this much oil suddenly, the DPF would be clogged shut within 1000 miles trying to keep itself clean.

Checking the oil level can have some variance depending on how long the car sat after it was checked as well as if the engine/car was EXACTLY level when it was checked. I'd want to see repeatability first.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
I have to read what is covered under the Diesel-Gate...not sure if this would be. The oil level was checked with a cold engine after the car was garaged over night.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
The question is what could they have done to wreck your engine. Any CEL ? Codes? It would have been good to pull out the codes BEFORE bringing the car to the dealer. I'd agree that replacing the adblue injector have nothing to do with it.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
I have no ideas that make any sense...when I asked the service representative, all he said is "I don't know, there are a lot of moving parts". Not a good response in my mind. If something blocked the inlet/outlet to the oil filter, would that pressurize the system and force the oil out where it could get into the combustion system? Highly unlikely, but the only thing I can think of related to the oil service. Also, (around 2014) I had a run away diesel in my 2012 Passat TDI, caused by oil pooled in the turbo when the same dealership replace a leaking banjo bolt on the turbo housing. After that mishap, (after a month of hassle) they replace the engine block due to bent connecting rods on 2 pistons. Back to this event...with that much oil being burned, I would expect the engine to lurch or at the least not idle smoothly. Now, thinking back on the run away diesel and how the dealership handled it, I should not have purchased another vehicle from them...MY BAD!

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
and you are sure the oil is not leaking on the floor ? (I can see them screwing up the oil change badly)

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
mnted, don't walk, RUN from that dealer and use a different dealer to handle the dieselgate warranty and possible replacement of your engine.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
Well here is what I found out today. The service manager called to tell me they put about 80 miles on my Passat and the oil level did not change. He said they interviewed the tech (an experienced one, he stated) and the tech admitted he only put in 4 1/2 quarts (the specs for a Jetta TDI) and never checked the dipstick after completing the service. He apologized for my inconveniences and alarm. I told him it did not add up, the Passat gen2 takes 5.8 quarts with an oil filter change...4 1/2 plus 2 makes 6 1/2 quarts, where did the other .7 quart go. He agreed it didn't add up for him either but had no explanation. He also said there could be discrepancies on how the oil level was measured...he informed me that VW recommends checking oil level with the engine at normal operating temperature, turn off engine, wait about a minute and then check. I always thought to get best reading, check with a cold engine has sat for awhile. But he is correct.....the VW procedure is clearly printed in the manual. He asked me to put some miles on the car, monitor the oil level and report back with any oil loss issues. He promised they would make things right if I have further problems with excessive oil use. I'm back on the road with the Passat but do not trust it for any road trips.

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I’ve always checked my oil hot or cold, the temperature should not greatly affect the volume. First thing most shops assume is you are not as smart as they are so they try to find a way to show how smart they are. I’d guess the temp might change the spot on the dipstick by say 1/8 inch or so

If you have huge oil consumption, it should show up quickly, I doubt a real problem like this will go away on its own.

I never check my oil after leaving from an oil change, too much trust I guess.

Good luck.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Way too much trust. I check my dipstick two or three times immediately after an oil change, and I do them myself. At least the dealer is owning up to their mistake. I wouldn't have been too thrilled about letting a stranger put 80 miles on the car though.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
in post # 5, OP says "I went through a quart of oil in 21 (yes twenty one) miles." Is there now doubt about that? I would want to know what exactly the oil consumption is, measuring per the book, and not trusting what the dealer says. Verify it yourself. Make sure the car is level, measure precisely, drive 20 miles, and then remeasure.

Turbobrick is right about checking for leaks and dipstick after an oil change and running the engine some. I once failed to place the o-ring on the oil filter housing correctly during an oil change and low and behold it leaked like crazy after firing it up.

mnted

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
When I picked up car at the dealership I checked the oil with a cool engine. It was roughly about a was about 1/4 of an inch from being completely topped off. When I got home (about a 12 mile drive) I checked it again with a hot and it was about the same spot. The whole adding of 2 quarts still baffles me. I am monitoring it closely....any change and I will be back to the dealership. Again the car has 60k miles, prior to this I never had to add any oil between the 10k mile oil change intervals.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO 12 miles isn't enough time to get all ~6Qts up to temp, you sure the MFI showed 190-200F for oil temp?

Either way keep an eye on it, as you have a pretty good reference point.

oilhammer

TDI
Did you ever check the oil between services before? Or more importantly, right after one? Or did the tech's mistake cause the low oil level alarm to come on, and you checked it, and are now hypersensitive to checking it and are not always checking it at the exact same consistent point?

I really don't think your engine is consuming THAT much oil, and I also do not think your 2015 is the ONLY one that NEVER uses ANY oil between services, even if it is not enough to cause the oil level sensor to trip. Every single 2015 car I get in here is a little low before service (I check every single car that comes in here, regardless of why it is here). My finding is, as has always been, most people never ever check the oil. Which is why so many cars come in here low, dry dipsticks, or in some cases, locked up (a half dozen of those so far this year, and probably 15+ with MOST of the oil gone from the engine, but still running).

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
my 2015 does use about 1/2 quart every 10k, I do a oil level check every other fill up, and there was no change in consumption after deletion